Alans gear sleeve hole to high for pin on stock bridge

Started by mikeysm, September 02, 2018, 02:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Alan your gear sleeve will not fit a stock bridge. I ruined 1 bridge already trying to get it to work. The hole is to high for the stock bridge.

Mike

Black Pearl

Quote from: mikeysm on September 02, 2018, 02:36:23 PM
Alan your gear sleeve will not fit a stock bridge. I ruined 1 bridge already trying to get it to work. The hole is to high for the stock bridge.

Mike

Hi Mike,

What gear sleeve are we talking about? If there is problem, You can send it back to me which I will pay for the shipping back to me. I will replace your stock bridge.

If it is Jigmaster Sleeve, I have not had any complains on it for the 3 years. The first  batch 113H sleeve had an issue, but it was taking care of right the way.

Please notes that OEM bridge tolerance is all over the map, it is possible that my sleeve might not fit those out of wrack tolerance OEM bridge.

Thanks,
--Alan

mikeysm

It's the jigmaster one and this is all of tje ones I bought. I had to modify the bridge shaft to make them work. The pin is to high for the stock bridge shaft. The hole location is wrong.

Mike

Black Pearl

Quote from: mikeysm on September 02, 2018, 03:09:35 PM
It's the jigmaster one and this is all of tje ones I bought. I had to modify the bridge shaft to make them work. The pin is to high for the stock bridge shaft. The hole location is wrong.

Mike

Well, I just check the stock bridge I have with my sleeve and fitted fine on mine. Anyway, please send me your email address and your mail address, and I will send you a return label for those sleeves. I will refund you and send you a stock bridge to replace the one you broken.

mikeysm

Alan I already fixed two of them and they are working. Did they make two different bridges for this reel with the same number. Hold off alan I will get another bridge that hasn't been modified and we will see. I ordered all of them from the same place.

Mike

mizmo67

Quote from: mikeysm on September 02, 2018, 03:47:33 PM
Alan I already fixed two of them and they are working. Did they make two different bridges for this reel with the same number. Hold off alan I will get another bridge that hasn't been modified and we will see. I ordered all of them from the same place.

Mike

A jigmaster? Yes, there's bridges with a wide neck and some with the narrower neck. Can cause hole position problems.
I have a comparison pic somewhere..........
I'll edit when I find it

K here we go

have it in the tutorial page as an add on note
https://scottsbt.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203439809-Penn-500-Jigmaster-Rebuild#Bridge

You can file down one edge of the pin to slide it past where the narrower neck blocks the edge of the hole.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

mikeysm

My problem is the pin will not go in at all. A lens sleeve the pin hole is high. Grinding the pin will not work.

Alto Mare

Hello Mike, These parts and all of Alan's custom parts are made to my specs, so I'll put my 2 cents in.
Could you post a pic of the bridge, sleeve and pin in question? it might be you have a difective bridge, unless someone else has issues.

I just checked a few and the pin went in just fine, not one was off

the pin can only go in one way, if you look closer it is thicker on one side...one of the best pin design around

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

I have a new bridge coming from mystic we will see. I will post pictures.

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: mikeysm on September 04, 2018, 08:19:04 PM

Mike
That doesn't really help. What about the bridge in question, could you show or send me it? I'll pay for shipping costs.
I just like to see what's going on.

Thanks!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

It's ruined from trying to fit the pin. I bought all of the bridges from mystic. Same problem every time. I had to file and sand until it fit. I used a die grinder this time and went to deep. When I get the new bridge I will send it to you. I'm sure it will be the same.

Mike

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 04, 2018, 08:21:33 PM
Quote from: mikeysm on September 04, 2018, 08:19:04 PM

Mike
That doesn't really help. What about the bridge in question, could you show or send me it? I'll pay for shipping costs.
I just like to see what's going on.

Thanks!

Same here Sal, I haven't had a problem with Alan C. Sleeves and I upgraded at least 14 or so. I also would like to see what is going on.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mikeysm

I have a 49L bridge that the sleeve fits. I also have one of Alan T's sleeves which have two holes one for the old style and one for the new. Only one hole lines up and the other doesn't if it is a new style. If it is the old style either hole will work.
That was the reason for the two holes. Two different style of bridges. But that knowlege has been around for sometime now.

Mike

mizmo67

Just ran a test on one of the 3-500S in stock and the 98-60PRO and one edge of the pin would have to be ground a little, and the pin installed with the ground edge placed towards the center, in order to slide past the tiny bit of protrusion from the thicker neck. Peering into the hole, I can see the bit that's blocking it.

Now some of our inventory might be older and have the thinner neck on the shaft where that might not be an issue...but I don't think so. I think all our 3-500S were made in more recent years, so likely they are all the newer thicker necked shaft.

This is why the other stainless sleeves made by Alan Tani ended up having two holes in them. The Pro Challenger sleeves by Alan C. only have the one hole which works best on the older, skinnier necked shaft.
It's hard when there are variances like this by the original manufacturer...makes it difficult for the customizations being by others.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

mo65

I think it's amazing how little these tolerance issues actually do pop up. I mean...sheesh...the Jigmaster has been made since 1959. How many times has the Mitchell 300 totally changed since then? Not many products out there can mix parts from different decades. There have been a few times I had to sub a bridge or sleeve on a Jiggy...sometimes parts just aren't going to play together. It's all part of customizing. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~