Penn 113h 4/0 build Questions, BROKE... w/ pics

Started by wideopenoutdoors, September 11, 2018, 09:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I honestly think that for the type of fishing you are doing -- while the upgraded 113H is a fantastic reel -- that a 114H or 115 would be the ticket.  (6/0 - 9/0).

Otherwise, this will just happen again -- or, you will be so close to the edge that either a slightly larger fish or a different set of conditions will cause another failure.  This will always be in the back of your mind when the reel is seeing action.

That is one concern that you can control -- by choosing a different, and tougher reel.

Yes, the 113H will do the job -- 9 times out of 10 -- but #10 is the Big one that got away.

Sort of like pulling a loaded trailer with a turbocharger equipped 4 cylinder engine -- it will work -- but it will also wear out the engine much sooner because of the constant strain and demand to perform.  Sometimes better to just go to a 6 or 8 cylinder -- and let the engine (reel) work at 2/3rd's of maximum -- instead of over maximum.

Just my thoughts based on your descriptions --

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

Quote from: wideopenoutdoors on June 27, 2020, 08:25:13 PM
Multiple times we had groupers and snappers pull line off at full drag, not to mention the 6-8ft long sharks that have gotten hooked and stripped line.
Well, I sure wouldn't mind having that problem.  Worth the price; whatever it may be.
-steve

Benni3

I'm getting ready to get some 4/0h reels rebuilt for piers and candle boats,,,,,,  :D but my 9/0 that uncle sal built is light weight with the parts here that's available and can handle anything,,,,, ;) like gothic groupers no problem,,,,,,, ;D

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: oc1 on June 28, 2020, 03:17:41 AM
Quote from: wideopenoutdoors on June 27, 2020, 08:25:13 PM
Multiple times we had groupers and snappers pull line off at full drag, not to mention the 6-8ft long sharks that have gotten hooked and stripped line.
Well, I sure wouldn't mind having that problem.  Worth the price; whatever it may be.

You're not wrong!!! Just disappointing when it breaks off in the rocks!
-steve
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: Benni3 on June 28, 2020, 04:55:30 AM
I'm getting ready to get some 4/0h reels rebuilt for piers and candle boats,,,,,,  :D but my 9/0 that uncle sal built is light weight with the parts here that's available and can handle anything,,,,, ;) like gothic groupers no problem,,,,,,, ;D

I'm to decide between converting a spare 114h to a 6/0 narrow, I have a 9/0 sitting on the shelf that's giving me looks, or maybe a international 50? Ill decide later. I'm still going to use these reels for shallow, 20-60ft, grouper fishing.

sabaman1

IMHO looks like the dogs were greased rather than oiled, the dogs on penn reels should be lightly oiled and never greased. As grease starts to solidify and change with water or saltwater in this case entering into reel causing the dogs to jam up and no longer operate smoothly. Once one dog goes there is a high likelyhood the second will go shortly after when they are greased. Good thing nobodys hand was injured. I learned this a long time ago, losing a very nice fish to this and a sore thumb. Hope this might help.
JIM

wideopenoutdoors

I see the point being made about the grease, however, we used PENN reel grease and the grease is no where near hard. I think it's how the dogs and posts  were designed vs how they were designed factory combined with abuse over too that lead to their failure. We have abused "stock" 4/0 with NO maintenance and never broke a dog.

day0ne

You need to PM Black Pearl like he asked you to.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

wideopenoutdoors

vilters

not to say grease caused the failure, but i'm in agreement about oiling the dog(s) vs. greasing. the grease will always be thicker, and may inhibit the dogs movement somewhat. light oil allows the dog to move more freely/quicker, and less likely to promote buildup of sludge. i also like to use a heavier spring in some cases where i can. i also agree about that being a good problem to have  8)

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: vilters on June 29, 2020, 06:30:07 AM
not to say grease caused the failure, but i'm in agreement about oiling the dog(s) vs. greasing. the grease will always be thicker, and may inhibit the dogs movement somewhat. light oil allows the dog to move more freely/quicker, and less likely to promote buildup of sludge. i also like to use a heavier spring in some cases where i can. i also agree about that being a good problem to have  8)

I totally agree that the grease could potentially inhibit the movement of the dogs. However, I'm fairly confident that's not why it broke.

Bryan Young

It appears that the pin that secures the dog to the bridge was sheered off.  It has nothing to do about the grease or oil used.  it was some strong pressure that is able to sheer that pin.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 29, 2020, 05:08:50 PM
It appears that the pin that secures the dog to the bridge was sheered off.  It has nothing to do about the grease or oil used.  it was some strong pressure that is able to sheer that pin.

...but you must ask yourself why only one dog post failed when both are engaged simultaneously. Why is the other dog post unscathed ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

It looks like a 8 tooth gear sleve. I think that would give alternating dogs. 10 tooth gives simultanious dogs. I have a 113HLW set up with BP 8 tooth sleeve & double dog bridge that the dogs alternate. That puts all the strain on one dog at a time. It looks like the reel still operated on the dog that was left unbroken unless the broken parts jammed in the gears.        Rudy

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 29, 2020, 05:59:50 PM
It appears that the pin that secures the dog to the bridge was sheered off.  It has nothing to do about the grease or oil used.  it was some strong pressure that is able to sheer that pin.

...but you must ask yourself why only one dog post failed when both are engaged simultaneously. Why is the other dog post unscathed ??

I have considered all of this. The other dog wasn't functional at the time, the spring had come off, as seen in the picture. I believe the broken dog failed because it was set up on a "single shear". I am in no way and engineer, except for working on projects around the house / property and small interest as a hobby, and I wanted to wait until I spoke to some friends that are engineer students. Any engineers feel free to correct me if I get this wrong.

In factory form the dog is set up in a "double shear" situation. The bridge screw runs through the dog and the dog pushes on the screw which is secured on two ends by the bridge and side plate - splitting the force between two spots. In the configuration I have, the dog is riding on a post that's only secured on one side (single shear) so all the load is concentrated at one point making it easier for the pin the dog rides on to shear off as we see here.

I think over time the single post was under a lot of stress and slowly giving up and when the snapper dug down hard the shock load broke the pin. We have had the factory dogs (double shear) under huge amounts of stress and no failure. My 4/0 is exactly the same as this and has yet to fail. I believe if the other dog on this one had been functional it probably wouldn't have broken....