Handles

Started by snowgoose200, January 15, 2019, 07:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowgoose200

I have 2 114h handles that are hard to turn, that is the handle turns hard on the handle arm, what can I do?
I am not clear on how it works? The shaft turns with the handle but from the back it looks like a rivet? 

Swami805

Hopefully a little lubrication will loosen it up. If those big reels get dropped or banged around the shaft can get bent and it will be hard to turn. I've never had any luck trying to straiten them, I just get a new handle. Hope it's the former
Do what you can with that you have where you are

snowgoose200

So far lots of lube isn't helping. It's in a atf and paint thinner bath right now, I didn't specify but these are older ivory colour handles.

Dominick

Rig up something that will fit in an electric drill to turn the handle.  Oil it and give it a spin.  Sal posted something he rigged up a while ago.  I can't find it.  Maybe he will chime in with a picture of the device.  If they do not loosen up after that they are toast.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

yeah, i've tried spinning them after drowning them in penetrating oil for days.  i made a jig out of clothes hangar wire and spun the grip using my drill press.  i still ended up replacing the handle.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

snowgoose200

How are they made?  What holds them together?  It looks like it would always be difficult to lube, is there a bushing?

RowdyW

If the shaft is turning with the handle knob then they are probably toast. Some of the guys have tried to repeen the shaft but it usually doesn't work. The knob is pressed on over the tubing with the shaft on the inside. The shaft is not supposed to turn, only the tube & knob turn. Are you trying to change the handle assemblies on the two 114HL reels I sent you?             Rudy

snowgoose200

They work perfect Rudy,  this is 2 others, so that I understand, from the back there is a rivet post that is installed, the handle itself is pressed on to a tube, how does the tube stay on the shaft?
Sorry to be so dumb but I just can't picture how you fabricate it.

RowdyW

Paul,there is a head on the long rivet above the tube. Unless you can free up the tube from the long rivet it's a lost cause. There have been posts on here about how to remove the knobs to put on other handles that are good but it is chancey & the knob might get cracked or split in half.

festus

I don't mean to change the subject, but are the handle knobs on a Penn Spinfisher or some of their other spinning reels riveted or screwed on? I have several Penn conventionals but have never owned a spinner.

Alto Mare

I would listen to Rudy, I've tried a few times with no luck. I have a press and on some I was able to remove the knob, so I could peen the shaft.
If you try it without removing the knob, you will split it.
Keep in mind, if you wanted to peen it, even though it would feel snug afterwards there is a good chance it will loosen up again.
Your best bet is to let it go and get one of these:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12785.msg126385#msg126385
They are made really tough.

You could also try these, if you needed to save a few bucks:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12800.msg126588#msg126588

Good luck!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Paul —

The Bakelite knobs are pressed onto a metal tube that is attached to the crank with a brass rivet that is closed at both ends.

There is an external oil port with a spring ball to drip oil down into.

Your options, to me, could look like —

* Continue working with the knob assembly, penetrating oil, soaking — nothing to lose.

* Pop off the Bakelite knob — then work with the rivet and sleeve — this will very possibly result in a  broken in half knob — or a knob that you would not trust after reattaching.  Again, nothing to lose.

* Get another used complete handle.

* Get a new handle.

* Get one of Alan's complete handles.  If you go this route, make sure the handle nut is super tight — as it has more torque, and due to the stronger crank blade material — could round off the top of the gear sleeve, if slightly loose.  A SS gear sleeve would take care of this potential issue.

* Or, get a crank knob from Alan with the attachment hardware — drill out the rivet, and replace with the new knob and assembly.

It all depends on what you intend to do with these reels — fish them, display them, or?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Fred always on top of it ;) :)
Here is another pic before being assembled:

The brass shaft gets mounted in the tube and peened before being pressed on the knob, as Fred mentioned.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Paul, if you have to buy a new one well & good, but before that, I would mix some auto transmission oil & acatone 50/50, us a needle & a siringe tube, & try to administer it through the oil hole, then spin it plenty, & try several time, good luck, also MO, would mix bycarb soda & washing powder, make a paste with water, & place it, @ the bace of the shaft, for 10 minutes then scrub it of with a tooth brush & water, then lube it. good luck, cheers Don. let us know how you go.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Paul, dont get me wrong, the handle that Alan sells are the best, also there are a few others that make good handle, but if you wish to keep your reel as original, then try what I have said, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat