my new Sharky project reel penn 116L 12/0

Started by steelfish, January 16, 2019, 09:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, got this reel as trade for some rods repairs with a local guy.
is one of those trades where both parties where happy with the trade, I wanted a big reel like this eventho the reel needs some TLC and money, the handle side plate is broken and it has lots of corrossion on the frame posts but many of the rest of metal parts might just need a good clean job to look better and my friend is 2x more happy cuz he didnt wanted to put any money to repair the reel since many years and now will have some rods repaired for some "trash".

well as you can see the reel needs a deep clean job, surely a new drag stack, new handle arm and knob and of course another handle sideplate, so it looks like a nice project to get those parts one per time when I found them at a good price, no rush at all, it will be like restoring an old nonworking ford impala 66 found forgotten in the backyard.

The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

That looks like fun, good luck bud, can't wait to see the finished product!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Dominick

Alex, those side plates come up once in a while on ebay.  Have patience and you will be able to bring that baby back.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Wow, that reel belongs in a museum, compadre. I wish that reel could talk, I wonder how big of a fish was able to  blow that bearing right out of the plate.
I'm sure you will get it in top shape...can't wait to see the transformation.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Looks like a great project!
Also looking forward to seeing the transformation.
I've got a spare left side-plate, but no righties.
I think Mystic has them for about $40.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

thorhammer

Compadre, pretty sure I have some handle and brace kit bits to help you out. I will check when I can get to the shop. I replaced my 12/0 handles so I'm certain I  have stock ones somewhere, just have to find them.

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on January 17, 2019, 01:40:21 AM
Compadre, pretty sure I have some handle and brace kit bits to help you out. I will check when I can get to the shop. I replaced my 12/0 handles so I'm certain I  have stock ones somewhere, just have to find them.

nice amigo, let me know
The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

Alex, I have some used rings for it if any of yours are split, let me know I'll send them to you?

steelfish

Quote from: Darin Crofton on January 17, 2019, 02:06:52 AM
Alex, I have some used rings for it if any of yours are split, let me know I'll send them to you?

thanks for the offer bud, let me open the reel up and hope for the best and it only needs a new drag stack (not that I will buy it right away  ::), read somewhere that it should have some asbestos washers like the really old 114h reels I have seen) and the rest of the internal parts are in good shape, same with the rings
I'll let you know.

The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

Shark Hunter

Let me know what you end up needing Alex.
I own more 12/0's than any other Senator.
I also punch my own drags, and I know I have a plate with your name on it. ;)
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Alex; I'll be watching for the tuneup Pictures.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Alex, at first I was going to say to send it over, but you need to be the hero on this one :).

If you get in a jam, I'm sure guys here will help out... yes me included ;)

Have fun!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Nice find Alex, good project, should look good with a bit of TLC, I would say to much pressure on the spool, possibly blue the face plate apart, good luck, looking forward to the restored photos, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Nice project you have going Alex, looking forward to seeing it brought back from the boneyard
Do what you can with that you have where you are