Penn Mag Power 970

Started by satbchbum, September 14, 2011, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: floating doc on August 10, 2014, 02:14:14 AM
That's impressive! Kudos to Larry!
x2, nice job Larry.

Aiala, I'm glad you finally got your plate. I've noticed on these reels that the writing on the cross bars usually wears off, It would be ok if it would come completely off, but on most only a portion does.
It shouldn't bother you, but if you're like me, this is what I do:
Here is the bar with the letters half off

and here is a shot with it completely off, that cross bar looks new again.

I put a little dab of Citristrip on a rag and gently rub, it comes right off.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Hi, I am looking for a left side plate for the Mag Power 970.   (This is an old thread, maybe I should have started a new one?) Anyone have one to sell (27-970)?  Does the 980 left side plate (27-980) fit the 970?

Porthos

The 970 and the 980 share the same parts except for the bars, spool, and foot.

Aiala

Quote from: Decker on April 21, 2016, 12:57:22 PM
Hi, I am looking for a left side plate for the Mag Power 970.   (This is an old thread, maybe I should have started a new one?) Anyone have one to sell (27-970)?

Hi, Decker. As it happens, I do have a left-side 970 plate. (Finding them is a real pain... been there, done that.) The magnet is missing, but I think I know where it is... let me search a bit, and I'll get back to you.   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

Hmmm....sitting on a private stock of unobtainium, are we? :)

Aiala

Quote from: thorhammer on April 21, 2016, 03:11:49 PM

~A~

Porthos

Quote from: Aiala on April 21, 2016, 03:24:34 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on April 21, 2016, 03:11:49 PM

~A~

Aiala, are you out burying treasure troves in the desert?

Aiala

Quote from: Porthos on April 21, 2016, 07:07:02 PM
Aiala, are you out burying treasure troves in the desert?

Wai, I wish! But no, I just happened to have a 970 plate left over from when I was searching all over creation for one.  :D

~A~

Aiala

Okay, I found the magnet!

Decker, if you're still out there, send me a PM.   ;)

~A~

Decker

PM sent, Aiala!   Thanks.  Let me know what we can work out. 

I tried to remove the cracked left plate from my 970 yesterday, by removing the four screws.  From the parts diagram, it looks like that should do it.  It didn't budge initially, and I was afraid to force it and extend the cracking.  Any advice on loosening the plate without prying it?   Do I need to do any more dis-assembly?  Thanks.

Mattman NZ

You could try to remove the handle side 1st and push the tail plate out from the inside - all mine were tight too & ended up using a fine file on the outside of the plate where it touch's the frame and make it easier to remove.
Rgds

Matt... 

Alto Mare

Decker, while you have that reel open, you could bring it up a notch as I'm showing here:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10273.0

Welcome, buy the way.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Matt, thanks for the tip.  I am finding online that there are many potential problems with (and solutions for) to the Power Mag side plates. I never saw so much cracking with Penn Bakelite side plates.

Sal, thanks for the welcome, and the links.  I drool over the enhanced Penns, but don't have the budget for the Newell, Accurate, Tiburon stuff.  Still, I'l keep my eyes peeled at the yard sales :)

Alto Mare

The plates on those should actually be stronger than most:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10273.msg130833#msg130833
I'm thinking this little guy has way too much power for its own good.
A second dog might help keep the gear sleeve square to the bridge plate when under stress.

Riy2018

Good Day Gurus,
I made one mistake. I decided to change original left side magnet to a new designed knob magnets. and unfortunately it doesnot work well on 980 Penn Mag Power. So i removed old magnet and epoxyd new knobby magnet set.

Im asking every one who might have original left side plate for sale. Im want change everything as it was before.

Thanks in advance.