Some help is needed in the fg- hard flouro

Started by gstours, January 20, 2019, 03:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Ive beenkinda happy :D with my spinning stuff using 15-20 lp braid main line tied to a 15-2o lp Maxima leader using the FG knot.
  The knot seems to cinch down and grab in the initial tighten process.
It seems while swithchin to a SeaGar Salmon 25# flourocarbon leader in larger dia. with the larger dia braid everything seems the same while tying the initial knot,  after the two half hitches, everything is tightenend and inspected, n snipped.
   Then with the testing using max pulling pressure thinking all is good,  the flouro mono begins to slide out and then oh s--t time.
  over and over i,ve tried different versions of this knot on this spool of flourocarbon and it always fails when the max breaker is applied.
  the flouro seems too hard for the braid to grip.  ???   ???
  Ive scraped the coating of the Tuf Line braid to soften the line and remove the waxy or whatever coating as well as moistened with saliva the wraps when tightenening.   after the knot is tied it seems tight and snuggs down initially.   Butt it will pull thru the grips before the line breaks.
   As stated before the knot works fine on my other favorite Berkely Big Game mono.   What can I do.  I used to use an Albright improved and it is easy to tie in the water ot on the bank.... 
   Of coarse i,d be ready to listen to advise,   I got time.    its winter here!!! :)

Dominick

Gotta see a video of this Gary.  Of course with the audio off if it slips again.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Gary

I use Crazy Glue or Gorilla Glue on the Knot to stop slippage. After gluing wet your fingers & roll the know between them. Your fingers will not stick if they are wet.

The knot will not slip

Mike   
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

oc1

That's a bit scary Gary.  I wonder if doing more wraps would help?
-steve

MarkT

Just go with the improved Albright and call it good.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

I do not use the FG knot so this is a guess, put on more and tighter wraps and melt a small ball on the end of mono/fluro tag.  My preferred way for over 30#  is a L2L but I use Albright and Alberto knots at times.  A uni to uni also works for up to 50 or 60 pound line but it gets large with heavier line.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

r8rs4lf

I've ran into this problem on a trip before. I lost 2 fish in a row before I changed out the flouro to mono. Then it stopped. I also had different rigs with the same brand flouro, different test that did not slip.

I think it's because the knot was not cinched down tight enough so the braid did not "bite" into the flouro. Flouro is alot tougher than mono. Most people use it for the abrasion resistance. So going off of that it would make sense that the knot needs to be pulled tighter to get the braid to bite. Now when I tighten the FG/flouro, I pull as hard as I can using a tool in one hand and the flouro wrapped 3-4 times around my other hand. If you don't have a vain popping out of your head when tightening, your not pulling tight enough!  ;D

Are you using some type of tool to tighten your coils? If not, buy something or make something. I use these little brass pipes that come in single packages at Home Depot. They are like little extensions for something. They are 1/2" diameter and about 4-5" long. I wrap them with flex tape.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Pullin hard and glue sound like a plan for fluoro./braid witha fg knot. I've used super glue and soft drying stuff like plyobond. I have the best performance with the soft adhesives, as you can smooth over the rough parts a the knot. Too much can give you some weight-/bulk in a place on your rig where you may not want it(esp. in lightweight applications), but the knot area will flex better overall.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Has anyone thought of heating the flouro?  It might work along with pulling hard.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

good info! I switched to flouro last year and use the FG to Braid but I never pulled it really hard to test it like this.  I think Ill go back and take another look at those knots.

gstours

Ok I,m back with some more information on my FG issue.   Firstly I've stayed with this spool of fluorocarbon cause I'm not backing down from my learning curve.   
   Shown below is a picture of my variation that seems to work.  It's not as smooth as before but it's gripping the hard finish of the fluorocarbon now.🕷

gstours

The difference in tying now is using two full wraps in the direction towards the mono tag end as usual and one opposing wrap pulling both spectra pcs as usual.   #2 shows another view after the extreme pull test.

gstours

Now for a little variable,  the white spectra is substituted for the aged tufline and this time the knot is left with a mono tail clipped long enough to see it at all times.  The russuto 5 wrap is left with a space for inspection.   This spectra was not scraped as some times before.   Using sticks to wrap and pull after finishing the tag ends there is no more movement.   
   I wanted to show the pictures.   Usually a wrap in opposite direction is what the other posts say....
  The knot is not as smooth looking as the previous version but using a double wrap and a opposing single wrap something has changed with the grip and it looks like it will work.   
     Finishing the tag ends may depend on if you're casting,  the length of your leader and your guide sizes.
I,m now going to strain the knot more after taking a picture 🤳 and see what breaks or slips.

boon

Kinda funny looking FG knot? Are your wraps sliding a long long way down the fluoro when you load it or something? It looks like an FG that has fallen apart :/