Some help is needed in the fg- hard flouro

Started by gstours, January 20, 2019, 03:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r8rs4lf

Quote from: boon on January 21, 2019, 09:40:23 PM
Kinda funny looking FG knot? Are your wraps sliding a long long way down the fluoro when you load it or something? It looks like an FG that has fallen apart :/

Yea, it looks like your wraps are not very tight.

Keta

Quote from: boon on January 21, 2019, 09:40:23 PM
Kinda funny looking FG knot? Are your wraps sliding a long long way down the fluoro when you load it or something? It looks like an FG that has fallen apart :/

It looks like half hitches down the spectra to "finish" the knot and act as a buffer for the tag end.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

Ok, thanks for the ideas,  butt the method of wrapping twards the mono tag end using the main spectra of    two wraps under and over back towards you and one wrap over and back to the cross ☦️ seems to be holding good.   Here's a picture.

gstours

The knot is unfinished here, and with the half hitches 2 redy for initial tightening. Strained twenty pounds.  Seems to hold and noticed that the flouro has changed color twords the hitches.

gstours

Here's another.  Tied w two wraps twordsyou and one opposing wrap away.  Same as before.

gstours

This method is not as smooth butt it's holding,  notice the mono gets the burden.

gstours

So now for the big disappointment that started this post.  Trying to keep everything the same butt using the single opposing wrap like shown in the many good videos .   Whatcha dis.
   Nice and tight of course.

gstours

The knot gets a double hitch and the rusutto finish.   Looks 👌.?

gstours

As before I was confident that this single opposing wrap method would be holding the maximum strain,   And it would let me down again.😢.  I,m still 🌊 searching butt my alternative will get me by.
   Any more thoughts.?✍️

gstours

The knot was wet when final tension was added.  It looks good and the strain was slow and steady.  It hold then we wants something to give.  About when I thought the mono would break it just started slipping and it finally collapsed.   There is no fish 🐠 story 👎🤬

bhale1

Gary,
Ive watched countless videos on the FG knot to try and tie it better myself ;D
One that I really liked was on YouTube from Tackle Advisors....I think it is actually in three parts. He gives some good tips.
I am actually confident in tying them now......at home ;D.........on the boat (for much smaller species than your big butts), I use a PR knot if I have to re-tie :o
Brett

link part1....https://youtu.be/SaERGwDOHAY

i hope i copied link correctly...computers are knot my strong point ;D.....there are two more parts

boon

Ok, I seeeeeeee, you are not doing single alternating wraps, hence the funny-looking knot.

Are you tieing it with the spectra/braid under tension? Or using the method the guy on Youtube employs where he just wraps up the mono? I am not a fan of that technique, the braid needs to be under at least moderate tension during tieing or the wraps will not lay down neatly.

EDIT: If you are doing the "wrap the spectra around the mono" as per the video above I suspect you will never get good "bite". The spectra should be fixed, and the mono manipulated to cause the spectra to wrap around it.

gstours

Thanks again for the 💡.   I,m not done, nor ready to give up.   Here's another try at the kitchen table.
   This was before I read today s post.  As before no tension just fingers to hold double towards you wraps and a single away from you wrap, using 12-15 alternate pairs and 2 half half hitches.  Shown below.

gstours

This knot shown changing colors seems to be squeezing the mono.

gstours

Today was agood day for the not tier.  Oar just a lucky moment?   I,m going to try again with the tension tag normal single opposing wrap method as I,m not at home where I wanna test these with a spring scale in parallel with my come along tool.   This to me gives me a linear quantitative control as pictures and or video will capture what gives.    Thanks again for everyone sharing your thoughts.
   I,m 🤔 thinking failure has some good parts deeply hidden.🎣🐠