Some help is needed in the fg- hard flouro

Started by gstours, January 20, 2019, 03:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Another try at the knot,  using 12 cross pairs and one half hitch.  Before first strain.

gstours

The mono seemed to immediately grip and tighten the wrap over it,  after the first tightening strain the mono tag was trimmed to about an eighth inch and alternating Hal hitches pulling it down.   It was retested and seemed to hold as I could not break it by 🖐 wraps on each end using these rodbutt line wrap helpers.

gstours

I feel like I can use the knot now and kinda like it and plan on using it for spin reels w braid.   Now more practice on the lighter lines. Thanks for everyone helping me.
    I,m sure there's others that are learning from this topic as well.   It's all here for the world 🌎 to see.
The last picture is of a handy device that I came up with to hold the tag end of the braid.  Clip it to the braid and your collar or shirt 👔.  Or what ever.   Just saying.    Because my teeth did not do it well.🙊

r8rs4lf

Looks good now!

Did you ever figure out what the problem was before?

boon

Much better looking knots (with the associated better results)!

Glad you got to a knot you were happy with.

Three se7ens

Much better looking, Gary.  You could probably drop a few more cross pairs without weakening the knot still, I typically do 8-10 cross pairs, which is a little easier to pull up tight.

Thats a tricky knot because the simplicity of it is misleading.  It requires more attention to the fine details, but once you get used to it, its pretty easy to tie. 

gstours

Thanks to you folks the fg knot is seeming to work for me.  It has its virtues and having good eyesight and finger dexterity sure helps.   I'm showing below a 10# mono leader and 20# braid from this morning.
    Another tip that works for me is wrapping cloth friction tape over the dowel or cutt of rod butt really grips the lines well for tightening the knot.

Three se7ens

I use a pair of 3/8" stainless rods covered in heat shrink tubing.  Not because its perfect, but its what I had.  And it works quite well...

This brings up an important point.  Dont even try to tie an FG knot without something to hold the line tight without cutting yourself.  This is a knot that needs a fair amount of pressure to lock down correctly, and its hard to get enough pressure with thin lines without cutting your fingers. 

r8rs4lf

Quote from: gstours on February 11, 2019, 06:20:41 PM
Thanks to you folks the fg knot is seeming to work for me.  It has its virtues and having good eyesight and finger dexterity sure helps.   I'm showing below a 10# mono leader and 20# braid from this morning.
    Another tip that works for me is wrapping cloth friction tape over the dowel or cutt of rod butt really grips the lines well for tightening the knot.

It sure looks very improved from previous attempts.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Would be interesting to know.

gstours

Thanks first lay for everyone chiming in to the knot issue.   As people have said it's a very simple knot,  butt the steps are very important.  I was not keeping enough tension on the wraps secondly, and after watching many videos on the tube channel, got some mixed messages.   Now I know more,  I probably practiced with 20-30 attempts and posted some with numbers on the photos.
   I liked to think that I was also possibly helping others as well.   For that reason I exposed more of my problems than necessary butt I,m ok with that.   That's why we are a big family. ;)
   Thirdly this knot is a very good one butt seems to be more difficult if you're fingers work well, the weather is warm, you're eyesight is pretty good, and you're not rushed for time,  like at home 🏡 is best.
   Thanks again for your your replies and interest.    It sure runs through the guides nice 👍

Rivverrat

After using many different knots for joining braid to mono I have found the FG to be the very best taking second place to no other knot I've used.

Some are quicker, easier to tie but none that I have used possess the ultimate strength with  ability to to be "repeatedly" cast through the guides.

I really like casting braid.
But a lot of places I fish are full of snags. With the cost of braid & no longer having a desire to hear the hiss in the air that comes from a 6 oz. sinker as it goes past my head, after being let lose from a snag.... I in a lot of instances use a mono top shot that is as long as my farthest cast.

Much cheaper to cut mono than braid & cutting mono keeps reports in the news of... " Man found dead in boat with 6 oz  sinker in his fore head " from happening.

I still use the FG when using longer  top shots of 30 to 50 yards. As my top shot gets shorter the FG  lays flat on the spool which I like for many reasons. But in the end I use it because of its ability to approach the line I'm usings break strength while pushing my drag level a bit at times... Jeff

mike1010

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 07, 2019, 04:07:30 PM
Quote from: bluefish69 on January 20, 2019, 04:37:49 AM
Gary

I use Crazy Glue or Gorilla Glue on the Knot to stop slippage. After gluing wet your fingers & roll the know between them. Your fingers will not stick if they are wet.

The knot will not slip

Mike   

Maybe not recommended with the FG.  The FG needs for the braid to sculp into the flouro

Glue can help to keep the FG finish in place.  The finish (half hitches, uni, Rizzuto,...) is prone to loosening as it goes through the guides repeatedly.  If that happens, the structural part of the knot will follow.  If tying at home, I will apply a little glue.  In the field, I tie and pray.

Three se7ens

I dont think use causes the finish to loosen if done right.  I leave about a 3/16" of braid for the tag, and it turns to fluff, but I have never seen any loosening of the finish, nor had one slip.  And no superglue.   

Also note, than I use the FG for leaders  Its rare that leader is rigged for more than a couple of months before I replace the fluoro, but it could very well see 20 trips in that time.  And I fish with artificials almost exclusively, so its all cast/retrieve.  No soaking bait here. 

jurelometer

I don't have much of a problem tying an FG that holds under load.   But I have not yet been able to tie one where I cannot work the braid over the mono tag, unless I leave a longer tag.  It won't come loose right away, but if I scrape around with my fingernail, shake the knot around, etc., I can pull the braid over the tag after a few minutes.

I see that some FG tyers melt a knob on the end of the mono for just this reason.

Also,  I personally will not rely on glue to make a knot work.  Hard glues create a hinge point, and CA glue does not bond well to polyethyline (spectra) in addition to losing strength when exposed to water.  Not arguing with other folks that find success with glue on knots, but it is not something that I can trust.

I will keep trying, but for now it is the Pena knot.  Not as strong as the FG, but I trust it.  The Pena casts through the guides just fine for me.  It  is sometimes a bit bumpy winding in, but not much worse than an FG with a long tag.

-J

Three se7ens

Quote from: jurelometer on September 08, 2019, 10:45:16 PM
I don't have much of a problem tying an FG that holds under load.   But I have not yet been able to tie one where I cannot work the braid over the mono tag, unless I leave a longer tag.  It won't come loose right away, but if I scrape around with my fingernail, shake the knot around, etc., I can pull the braid over the tag after a few minutes.

I see that some FG tyers melt a knob on the end of the mono for just this reason.

Also,  I personally will not rely on glue to make a knot work.  Hard glues create a hinge point, and CA glue does not bond well to polyethyline (spectra) in addition to losing strength when exposed to water.  Not arguing with other folks that find success with glue on knots, but it is not something that I can trust.

I will keep trying, but for now it is the Pena knot.  Not as strong as the FG, but I trust it.  The Pena casts through the guides just fine for me.  It  is sometimes a bit bumpy winding in, but not much worse than an FG with a long tag.

-J

Just dont cut your tag end so short on the leader.  Ill leave 1/8" on the leader past the FG.