Terminal Tackle knot

Started by Reel 224, January 22, 2019, 10:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Here is a good knot for Braid line to terminal tackle.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

xjchad

Interesting knot Joe.  I use a Palomar knot and have never had a failure.  I think either one would outlast the strength of the main strand of braid.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Reel 224

That's true, I'm the kind of guy that tries anything once ;) ;D so I'll try it and see if I like it.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gfish

Cool, line doubled-up and no tag end to deal with.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

Quote from: Gfish on January 22, 2019, 10:28:44 PM

There is a tag line but they just don't show you the finish end. You have to clip it off close to the knot.

Joe

xjchad

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 22, 2019, 10:23:30 PM
That's true, I'm the kind of guy that tries anything once ;) ;D so I'll try it and see if I like it.

Joe

Right on!  Let us know what you think!

Quote from: Gfish on January 22, 2019, 10:28:44 PM

There is a tag end G, it's just further up the line.  ;)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

boon

I only tie three knots in braid. An arbor knot to attach it to the spool, and a PR knot or FG knot to tie it to a leader. Braid cuts into itself too readily to obtain good strength when tying to terminal tackle, tie it to some mono or fluoro then tie that to the terminal tackle.

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Reel 224

Quote from: boon on January 22, 2019, 11:52:27 PM
I only tie three knots in braid. An arbor knot to attach it to the spool, and a PR knot or FG knot to tie it to a leader. Braid cuts into itself too readily to obtain good strength when tying to terminal tackle, tie it to some mono or fluoro then tie that to the terminal tackle.

I do that also, but as I said I'll try anything once. My thought is " nothing ventured,nothing gained". So I loose that 60# striper  :'( :'( ;) ;D

Joe

Tiddlerbasher

Over the last couple of years I've only used hollow cored braid. As such I've only used an arbor knot to attach it to a spool. I've then ca spliced the braid to a top shot as required - NO KNOTS. No failures reported so far ;)
Each to his own  :-\ - but this is the system I have settled on

CapeFish

what about the really weak knot to double the line? Surely should rather use a bimini or just double the line instead of that weak double figure 8? In mono that knot is reasonably ok for light fishing situations but not in braid.

Keta

A figure 8 knot will slip with spectra but a 3 turn overhand knot does not.  The loop knot shown here is a 2 turn overhand not a figure 8 too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CapeFish

Quote from: Keta on January 23, 2019, 03:44:14 PM
A figure 8 knot will slip with spectra but a 3 turn overhand knot does not.  The loop knot shown here is a 2 turn overhand not a figure 8 too.

Sorry, wrong knot name, I know it won't slip, but that knot used to double the line is surely going to weaken it really badly?

thorhammer

I use a surgeon to double up, because I'm sadly not adept at Bimini, then double uni to mono or fluoro, cause i use a uni for everything, basically- because it's a uni. I've put a lot of stress on this configuration and I don't recall any failure on a fish (fishing at drag strength), which includes some nasty groupers and donks. I might have broken one on purpose on a snag, and I generally rig the leader to strength to break and not the braid. Seems to work pretty well for me. More than one way to skin a cat- as my eyes get foggier I find it easier on the uni as I can tie by feel and muscle memory and in the dark. I'm general fishing for stuff less than 50-60 lbs; I'd want a bimini if I was tuna fishing.

Keta

Quote from: CapeFish on January 24, 2019, 10:10:56 AM
Quote from: Keta on January 23, 2019, 03:44:14 PM
A figure 8 knot will slip with spectra but a 3 turn overhand knot does not.  The loop knot shown here is a 2 turn overhand not a figure 8 too.

Sorry, wrong knot name, I know it won't slip, but that knot used to double the line is surely going to weaken it really badly?

The knot tied with 2 turns is a surgeons loop, I guess a 3 turn one would be a 3 turn surgeons loop.  In mono a surgeons loop is a relatively weak knot but a 3 turn one in Spectra isn't.  I like to "finish" my loop knot with a Uni or a Rizutto, the Rizutto knot is one I've used for over a decade but just learned it had a name.   Jerry Brown is the one that told me to use the 3 turn surgeons loop.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain