Penn Senator 113H 4/0 Special Drag washers remove

Started by xnnb, January 26, 2019, 01:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xnnb

Hi,

I think my Penn Senator 113H 4/0 has a problem. First of all let me try to confirm if it is the right model.

- Penn 4/0 Special 113H
- Red
- Metal Spool
- Clicker
- Frame with posts.

Probably an old model but it still looks good.

So my drag does not work properly, when I turn the start the drag does not change only until the last 10-20 degrees turn and then it is suddenly totally fixed. So I got my reeel apart and now i want to remove the drag washers but the first two came loose easily. But the other ones are stuck within the gear.

What can do to remove them. And do you think this is also the issue why the drag did not work?

Best,

Pete

RowdyW

First dig it out with whatever you have, screwdriver, knife, etc. Don't worry about damaging the drag washers they are the old asbestos junk. Then buy a HT-100 carbon fiber set with metals that will be a 5+5 set and lube them with Cals grease. Problem solved.               Rudy

Gfish

Welcome xnnb! I know huh, there's alota varaitions of the 113H---a classic and popular Senator. If you get the drag sys. up to par, you oughta get about 1 turn on the drag star, or more. Also, the line should come offa the spool without excess pressure at the initial pulling pressure(no"start-up")="Smoooth drag".
In the for sale section of this Forum, there's some good aftermarket parts avalible. Best for me so far, when it comes to this reel has been the Pro Challenger HX gear and drag unit.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Army_of_One

As Rowdy has said, removing and replacing drags will help.  I use a pick to dig out stubborn ones.  Does your reel have side drag access?  If so you might not have the extra tension spring(8A) to help give more range to the star.  There are three in this pic with side access and one without.

You should be looking at the "no removable clicker" diagram if so.
Another day in Paradise!

xnnb

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the help so far. I have the red model with the metal frame posts. So not a half frame.

The final dragwasher is really stuck. And I think it's asbestos, I have tried to keep it in warm water, put a lot of wd40 on it. But can't remove it. Also tried to get a screw in it and pull it out, but did not succeed. Since it is asbestos, i don't want to put too much effort into it.

And regarding asbestos, do you know till when they used this? Because I also have a Special Senator 113H2. I think a burning drag with asbestos is not the best to have in your face. What do you think?

RowdyW

Try splitting the washer like a pie with a screwdriver & a mallet & then try picking it out piece by piece. Do Not Heat It! Your H2 has HT-100 washers in it. H & H2 washer stacks are slightly different in stack height. Make sure you order the correct set.

xnnb

Thanks guys. I probably give it a try some time again.

foakes

Another technique that works, Pete —

From the underside of the gear — use a punch or screwdriver with a sharp edge to catch the inside edge of the drag washer — then just tap it out with a hammer.

It might break apart — no big deal.  Just scrape out as much as you can — then finish off the inside of the gear with a small stiff steel wire cup in an electric drill.

Use safety glasses and a respirator mask — rinse and clean up the gear — and you are ready for a set of CF's with SS discs — or HT-100's with SS discs — Cal's drag grease worked into the fiber discs — and you are done.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

The last drag washer is going to come out soon n pieces.....the guys have given great advise....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Brewcrafter

Pete - I may be stating the obvious or missed something, but hey, I just want to make sure - I have a few of the 113H and mine are of the vintage that they had what is called "externally accessible drag" with a large "hat" held down by the drag star.  And this is a cool and well meaning (80's) designthat I love, but I will say while the drag is "accessible" it is in no way "serviceable".  I want to make sure that while I probably missed it in the thread, that you are actually doing this drag service by removing the sideplate and full disassembly of the bridge.  If you haven't done this do not fear - sounds tough but it's not!  And it's pretty much the only way to do a proper drag swap. - Brewcrafter