Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on May 17, 2020, 05:59:37 PM
I plan on using it for catfish in the Potomac River (DC). You're kinda the catfish guru, what line would you use?

Most folks say to use 20lb. mono with these reels...but that is borderline too light for my liking. We use 30lb. mono with no problems at all. Also, since these reels don't have a clicker, we use circle hooks, put the reel in gear and just let the fish hook himself. Make sure the rod is staked or in a rod holder when doing this. Just resting it on a tackle box in gear will result in going home with no rod and reel! ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ReelFishingProblems

Thanks Mo,

Will load it up and hopefully post a fishing report soon

Newell Nut

I am thinking about getting a Striper Special for my Sabiki rod. The old Tidewater is getting tired after 20 years.

steelfish

those striper special reels look like a strong reels, I forgot to post in this thread my recently ambassadeur, an Abu record 60

this reel is really sturdy and solid, feels like a 7000 size on a 6500 suit, came with 3 CF washers, I still havent landed a fish on it yet, tho.

its now with a deep cleanup and lubed up ready to use it for some inshore action, its around 30% more heavy than my 6500c3
The Baja Guy

RC4600

I am also an avid Abu Fan, here is one of my favorites, a big fish surf reel 6500CS Chrome Rocket converted to CT, bearings upgrade changed to ABEC 7 and Smooooth Drag washers installed. Quite a beast! RC

RC4600

I gotta add this one to the list, favorite #2 (not that I don't like the others): Started as a worn out old tired 5500C project reel. To save its life I added ABEC 7 bearings, smoooth drag washers, threw away the level wind & converted to CT, added a mag brake (really nice addition), a few custom touches. My favorite light duty rig, even sold the calcutta 100 because how well this runs line. RC

steelfish

beautiful reels buddy, liking the mag knob on the last one, it should cast a mile
The Baja Guy

nelz

Are those camo plates by Simon Shimomura?

oc1

Yeah, cool.  How did you do that?
-steve

mo65

Sweet reel RC! I bought this 5600C4 LE right here from Hank's Tackle Box. I added the power handle. It's too pretty to scratch, but I have an urge to get it wet. 8)

RC4600

Yes I understand, they were built to get wet. Let some line fly.
On the camo, it's really just old school - like we used to camo rifle stocks years ago. Stencils cut for each pattern, and acrylic paint then sealed with a clear polyurethane. Lot of work but it's kinda cool. RC

jon_elc

here's my 5500C.  found it in my dad's garage.  I pulled it apart, cleaned out old grease and relubed it.  it spins so much better.  I'm thinking some carbontex drags and maybe pull out the levelwind, and use it for casting bait for surfperch.

Swami805

I have a few 5500c and a 4500c that I beat up pretty good, take a licking and keep on ticking. There's some handles on Ebay for cheap that are a big improvement. The downside of that model is only 2 drag washers, still plenty good for 20lb and under.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Those good ol' 5500Cs are great reels stock, but with some hot rodding they become a beast. This one has all steel gears, CF drags, and the aluminum frame. If Akios made a frame to fit the 7000, we'd have a complete monster of an Abu! 8)

Swami805

That's a beauty and a beast Moe, nice one!
Do what you can with that you have where you are