Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacRat

Great reel you got there. Where do the steel gears come from?

mo65

Quote from: PacRat on August 23, 2020, 05:25:49 PM
Great reel you got there. Where do the steel gears come from?

Thanks Mike. The gear set came from Akios, but it looks like they are currently sold out. Absolutely silky smooth ss gears...for 40 bucks. Why did I not buy a few more sets?? :-\

https://akios-superstore.co.uk/epages/eshop1251544.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop1251544/Products/%22Stainless%20Steel%20Gears%22
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Beautiful reel Mo. I bought a 7000 in early eighties. Another reel I regret selling.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

jon_elc

Quote from: Swami805 on August 23, 2020, 12:22:22 PM
I have a few 5500c and a 4500c that I beat up pretty good, take a licking and keep on ticking. There's some handles on Ebay for cheap that are a big improvement. The downside of that model is only 2 drag washers, still plenty good for 20lb and under.

good to know!  all of my fish are definitely under 20lb.  probably more like under 2lb  :) 

tincanary

I love the 4000 size, did up this 4500 not long ago.  Me and a friend were fishing a couple of weeks back and I handed him my rig.  I ended up going home without it as he bought it from me lol

mo65

tincanary

Quote from: mo65 on September 07, 2020, 12:21:21 PM
Sweet reel tincanary! 8)

Thanks!  The level wind and spool came from a new production 4600 C3 I got at Gander Mountain during their going out of business sale last year, paid something like $40 for it.  Side plates, gears, brake plate, star wheel, and handle came from a donor 5000 I took in on trade, and the frame was from a 4500CS I had lying around.  I did change out the clutch washer and brake blocks for the Bakelite parts and accommodating clutch washer.  She moves out.  

My next one will have blue side plates, I scored a pair from a 6500 CT Sport Mag on eBay really cheap about a year back so it will have the Magtrax braking system instead of the centrifugal unit. 

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on August 23, 2020, 01:42:36 PM
   Those good ol' 5500Cs are great reels stock, but with some hot rodding they become a beast. This one has all steel gears, CF drags, and the aluminum frame. If Akios made a frame to fit the 7000, we'd have a complete monster of an Abu! 8)

awesome !! beautiful machine Mo, congrats compadre
The Baja Guy

Quote from: tincanary on September 07, 2020, 12:13:50 PM
I love the 4000 size, did up this 4500 not long ago.  Me and a friend were fishing a couple of weeks back and I handed him my rig.  I ended up going home without it as he bought it from me lol

Wow that's beautiful. Nothing like Abu red. The Record style thumb rest really gives it a custom look.

tincanary

Another 4500 I did.  I really like the way this one came out.

tincanary

5500 C3 I set up for fishing Kings in the Great Lakes tribs.  This one has a stainless main gear and hardened bronze pinion from The Rocket Reel Company.  I'll have this guy with me next weekend on the Betsie River.

Swami805

With inspiration from Moe's green 5500 I took the plunge  to build a 5000 based Akios.  Parts were here in a week, top grade stuff.  I changed the frame, spool,drag star, handle, bearing cap and retainer with a black 5000. Added 3+1 CF drag washers and ceramic bearings  otherwise it's stock inside. Everything went together with no modification needed.
Super light and smooth reel, can't wait to give it a try, should cast like a bullet
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Fantastic Sheridan! You'll love that reel, and yes, it will cast like a bullet. 8)

oc1

You guys are killing me with those Akios' frames.  Their web site says to pick either a 5500 or 6500 size Akios frame.  I have ABU 5000, 5000c, 6000CA but not 5500 or 6500.

Sheridan, did you put the guts of a stock ABU 5000 onto the Akios 5500 frame with Akios 5500 spool?  Would the guts from a 6000CA fit their 6500 Akios frame?

Man, the bits and pieces add up fast, don't they?
-steve

Swami805

Yes, a bone stock 5000, fit perfect. The only thing was I had to use the plastic gear to hold the bearing in the spool on the tail plate side and I had to shave the small ridges off so it would fit in the bearing opening. Maybe I got lucky but it went right together really easy.
I have a 5500C so I was ready to use that if the 5000 didn't work. I like the gear in the 5000 with 4 drag washers better and the black side plates look pretty sharp
Do what you can with that you have where you are