Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Donnyboat

yes that is a really nice reel & great photography, thanks, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Amazing Bob, you're on a whole different level when it comes to Ambassadeurs.  A lot of study, knowledge and dedication is showing though.
-steve

tincanary

Quote from: mo65 on October 19, 2020, 02:30:15 PM
Yes sir...that's one fine reel! 8)

Thanks! The stainless gear is interesting, super smooth, but sounds like a Muncie Rock Crusher lol.  It's interesting feeling how smooth it is then hearing the noise, kind of crosses the wires in the brain because one would expect such smooth gears to be quiet.

mo65

Quote from: tincanary on October 20, 2020, 11:07:58 AM

Thanks! The stainless gear is interesting, super smooth, but sounds like a Muncie Rock Crusher lol.  It's interesting feeling how smooth it is then hearing the noise, kind of crosses the wires in the brain because one would expect such smooth gears to be quiet.

Wow, that is interesting. My5500c with the Akios ss gear set even has a steel pinion and is still whisper quiet. Sometimes when noise can be heard but not felt...it could be coming from another source other than the gears...I've seen bearings do this. Also check the levelwind gears. If all else fails...try a heavier lube...I've had that quiet things down too. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

tincanary

Quote from: mo65 on October 20, 2020, 02:32:37 PM
Quote from: tincanary on October 20, 2020, 11:07:58 AM

Wow, that is interesting. My5500c with the Akios ss gear set even has a steel pinion and is still whisper quiet. Sometimes when noise can be heard but not felt...it could be coming from another source other than the gears...I've seen bearings do this. Also check the levelwind gears. If all else fails...try a heavier lube...I've had that quiet things down too. 8)

The pinion gear is hardened bronze, that might have something to do with it.  I've bought half a dozen sets of these gears from Rocket Reel Company and they're all like this.  I typically lube with Yamalube, or if it'll be used during winter steelhead season I like to use Super Lube.

mo65

Quote from: tincanary on October 20, 2020, 03:34:13 PM
I've bought half a dozen sets of these gears from Rocket Reel Company and they're all like this. 

I see...it's probably just the way the gear sets sound...not something you can tweak. It is odd though...a bronze/steel mesh is usually more quiet than steel/steel.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Quote from: tincanary on October 18, 2020, 01:47:57 PM
Did this one for a customer of mine, 4th Ambassadeur he has purchased from me in the last year.  Handle and star wheel from Simon Shimomura, NOS Royal 4500 side plates, 5500 Pro Rocket frame, stainless main gear and hardened bronze pinion from Rocket Reel Company, new production 5500 C3 spool and line guide, Pro Rocket clutch washer and Bakelite brake blocks.  I love the way this one turned out.

That's a real beauty. A rock crusher! Funny, the 6.3:1 4500C7 Jerry Foran built for me is the same way. Nothing is as smooth as the original ratio I feel. You mentioned longing for saltwater. I live minutes away from Boca Grande Pass fun of tarpon and all I long for is freshwater! How ironic.....

tincanary

Quote from: 0119 on October 21, 2020, 12:26:13 PM
I live minutes away from Boca Grande Pass fun of tarpon and all I long for is freshwater! How ironic.....

I'm about a 10 minute ride from Lake St Clair, out of this world smallmouth and musky fishing.  I've been fishing the lake for over 30 years and it's always a blast, but I really want to hook into some tarpon, snook, and reds one of these days.

ReelFishingProblems

Hello Ohana,

I just got a nice little 6000 in the post last night. I'm assuming by it's design that it is a mid to late 60s model. I picked it up pretty cheap so I was hoping to use this reel to learn what upgrades are possible.

If any of the family already knows what is in the realm of possible, I would love to learn from you. I did find some great motivation already from Mo and TinCanary.

I would like to put a new cage on this, either full aluminum or a CT cage. I would also like to know if it is possible to upgrade the spool and spindle to have the floating spool. I'm sure I will upgrade the gears and add a mag knob, but is it worthwhile swapping out the whole brake plate for a newer version?

Thanks for reading

Nick

Swami805

Akios has some nice upgrades, very nicely made. There's a few others too. There's upgrades to add bearings to the level wing mechanism and gear sleeve too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

tincanary

There are lots of upgrades available.  You can replace the plastic bushing with a bearing, Jerry Foran sells it.  It will make the reel smoother cranking.  For the spool, Avail, an outfit out of Japan makes them, but they are shallow and more tailored towards casting lighter baits and not necessarily for distance as a deeper spool would be.  Another upgrade is a Knobby Mag, then you'll have a magnet brake to utilize instead of the centrifugal that came with it.  Lastly, you can swap the spool bearings for bushings.  Boca sells them, they're an odd size unlike the C reels of the era which use the 3x10x4 spool bearings.

nelz

Wow Nick, that's a whole lot of upgrades! Unless you're in it just for the fun of the project, you're better off just buying a more modern reel! For fun, try using an old classic like that in its stock form and get the thrill of landing a big one old-school style.

Btw, post the serial # and we'll be able to decipher the date.

steelfish

Quote from: nelz on October 23, 2020, 04:33:12 PM
Wow Nick, that's a whole lot of upgrades! Unless you're in it just for the fun of the project, you're better off just buying a more modern reel! For fun, try using an old classic like that in its stock form and get the thrill of landing a big one old-school style.

Btw, post the serial # and we'll be able to decipher the date.

let Kick (reefihingproblem) to step on the rabbithole by himself and learn for experience, its the best teacher LOL (kind of expensive teacher if you let me..)

once he had done all the available upgrades for the reel as cage, levelwinds, bearings, gear sleeve, drag washers, spool, handles, etc, etc with all the left over parts from this vintage reel on the table he will be able to assemble the "old" reel again in the same exact form LOL  ;D ;D.. maybe he will just need a set of sideplates that run pretty cheap on fleabay.

that what happen with the hardcore guys that upgrade 113h and jigmaster to the max..
The Baja Guy

ReelFishingProblems

I have definitely gone down some very expensive rabbit holes on Penn Reels. They are my favorite in my collection. I planned on buying a full frame Akios for just under $300, but thought I would learn a lot more by seeing how the parts are interchangeable, or not. Let me set the record straight, I am not trying to pay $1K for a $200 6500CT made out of parts. However, if I never get my hands dirty, I'll never learn what I sought out to know.

I have a beautiful 5000C that is in its stock form except for CF drag washer. It is so much fun. I have a collection of vintage reels in stock form, but like so many of the Ohana, I like to tinker.

Before I forget, I do love learning from those who came before me. I will try to soak up your collective knowledge like a sponge.

Here's to another adventure,

Nick