Pet Peeves

Started by Midway Tommy, February 06, 2019, 04:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

I have a couple of reel repair pet peeves and here's one of them.

While I'm well aware that graphite is a very good, slick, lubricant, nothing irritates me more when opening up a reel to do a complete restoration and service than to find that someone, at some point, decided to use graphite grease or add graphite powder to the internal lubricants. That stuff is near impossible to completely rid from all the little nooks & crannies, plus, it dirties up all my cleaning equipment.   :(  I've only ran into it a dozen or so times but I hate that stuff!  >:(  I grit my teeth every time I come across it!   ::)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

alantani

you know that baby blue grease used for wheel axle bearings in boat trailers?  yeah, that stuff.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Zimbass

Worse still is that Red Hot Sauce........... !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Cor

Quote from: Zimbass on February 06, 2019, 01:14:17 PM

What's that, muti...made in Harare? ;D ;D
Cornelis

thorhammer

When I've completely cleaned, repaired and serviced a friend's reel for free and it comes back a few months later with corrosion because they can't be bothered to at least water hose it....

sdlehr

Quote from: Cor on February 06, 2019, 02:50:21 PM

Quantum "Hot Sauce" is a red grease said to bond to the metal surface just as TSI-321 is said to.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

exp2000

Left hand reels - I hatem!

It's kinda like trying to read something in a mirror?

I got caught out on a Curado a while back.

Everything worked fine till I attached the crank handle side-plate. Then the thumb bar release mechanism would lock up.

Now the Roller Clutch Bearing for Curados is beveled on one side so you know the correct orientation for assembly. But with a left hand reel, the correct orientation is actually incorrect.

It took a while for the penny to drop and I could have slapped myself when it finally did!

Doh!
~

festus

Shimming the old Mitchell 300 spinners. 

Maybe l'm expecting too much from something 50 years old, but I can't get them to operate as smoothly as a D-A-M Quick, Shakespeare, Mitchell 308, Pfleuger or others from the same era.

mo65

Quote from: festus on February 06, 2019, 04:03:33 PM
Shimming the old Mitchell 300 spinners. 

Maybe l'm expecting too much from something 50 years old, but I can't get them to operate as smoothly as a D-A-M Quick, Shakespeare, Mitchell 308, Pfleuger or others from the same era.

Yeah Chester...I'm afraid this issue is one even a genie can't fix. My assessment is all those straight cut gears are never going to be as smooth or quiet as helical cut gears. All in all, it's still a great design, time has proven that. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cor

Quote from: sdlehr on February 06, 2019, 03:08:19 PM
Quote from: Cor on February 06, 2019, 02:50:21 PM
Quantum "Hot Sauce" is a red grease said to bond to the metal surface just as TSI-321 is said to.
. ;D ;D....and I thought it was some bearing lubricant supposed to make your reel spin forever ;D ;D
Cornelis

sharkman

Mine is spinning reels packed to the rim with grease.

reel man

Mine is a surf fishing reel that's been dropped in the sand

Reel 224

Some people bringing me reels that they tried to fix and couldn't, someone's shop attempting to fix and broke the reel. But I like a challenge, I have learned allot from the reels and guns in the past.

So I guess that's not a pet peeve  ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Quote from: reel man on February 06, 2019, 09:33:30 PM

Let he who has not dropped a reel in the sand, cast the first stone.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on February 06, 2019, 09:35:32 PM
Quote from: reel man on February 06, 2019, 09:33:30 PM

Let he who has not dropped a reel in the sand, cast the first stone.  Dominick

seems like I heard that before but in a different context.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."