old line

Started by milne, February 10, 2019, 07:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Some makers would scribe/scratch the numbers in with an awl or something so they're there forever.
-steve

milne

Thanks Steve.
Well I gave her wipe over and a light greasing inside, then re assembled her, ready for another 80 years of survival, hopefully.
Decided to leave the line off for a while, got her sitting on my desk in front of me at home and I just luv looking at these big naked Senators.
The reel seat came up quite good, with not as much chrome loss as I thought there would be, with the line back on it will be hardly noticeable.

Col

1badf350

That reel looks great Col!! WOW
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Donnyboat

Looks great Col, I am surprized how nice the spool came up, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

That reel looks great!  And having the old line in good shape is special, whether on the reel or off.  Steve - I'm glad you explained the markings, I just maintenance a 976CS International for a friend that had purchased it new, and when I had it open it had letters hand scribed on the inside of the side plate.  I asked him more than once if he ever had any work done on the reel, and he swore he bought it new, in the box, and I was the first person to have it apart.  Now it makes sense.

milne

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 19, 2019, 09:31:07 AM
That reel looks great Col!! WOW
Thanks Chris, It was your advice that made me pull the trigger on this one and I'm so glad I did !
I luv my knuckle busters, but there's something about these Senators.
So, 3 1st Gen down, 4 to go,  but seeing you and others with the full compliment, gives me the encouragement to keep pursuing them.
Quote from: Donnyboat on February 19, 2019, 12:56:37 PM
Looks great Col, I am surprized how nice the spool came up, cheers Don.
Thanks Don, I wasn't sure what the spool condition was until the line came off, and it was a great surprise as to the condition.
          Just that reel seat really needed to be soaked, but it's hardly noticeable.
Quote from: Brewcrafter on February 19, 2019, 05:02:29 PM
That reel looks great!  And having the old line in good shape is special, whether on the reel or off.  Steve - I'm glad you explained the markings, I just maintenance a 976CS International for a friend that had purchased it new, and when I had it open it had letters hand scribed on the inside of the side plate.  I asked him more than once if he ever had any work done on the reel, and he swore he bought it new, in the box, and I was the first person to have it apart.  Now it makes sense.
It sure is interesting finding these things when you open up a reel, a big learning curve.
As mentioned, I'm leaving the line off at the minute, just luv perving at this thing with no line. I may put it back on the reel after a while
but if one of those old vintage line dryer/holders pops up, I may go that way.

cheers all

Col