Reel mount machined askew...

Started by basenjib123, March 16, 2019, 04:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

Got an old timer here that was obviously machined slightly askew.  Any suggestions on how to correct it or am I better off leaving it alone?  No idea if it will effect the casting since I have never used it.  I don't imagine it does anything positive for it though. Photos make it look worse than it is, but it is definitely off.  Thanks, Joe.

alantani

yeah, i'd leave this one be.  fiddling with it could just make things worse!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bill19803

JOE    could  it be   that  holes  for   mounting   foot   are  oversize  in   the  mating  parts.?  maybe loosen  screws,   see  if  you can  move  everything back into allignment. 

basenjib123

Quote from: bill19803 on March 17, 2019, 12:14:02 AM
JOE    could  it be   that  holes  for   mounting   foot   are  oversize  in   the  mating  parts.?  maybe loosen  screws,   see  if  you can  move  everything back into allignment. 

Hmmm,  I didn't think of that.  Going to check that out thanks.

basenjib123

Quote from: alantani on March 16, 2019, 04:13:23 PM
yeah, i'd leave this one be.  fiddling with it could just make things worse!!!!!   ;D

Yeah, I'm leaning it that direction too, thanks for the reply.

foakes

I checked one of mine, Joe —

The holes in the stand have a little play in them.   Maybe a couple of Mils (likely the same as is showing off a bit in your photos).

So, if you wanted to — you could just loosen the (2) threaded hex bolts with a 1/4" wrench — then just move it slightly over — then retighten.

I believe at some point in the last 50 years, it was serviced, then just installed sloppily —

No big deal to just loosen each a half turn — and move it over.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basenjib123

Well,  I feel rather stupid  :P .... Thanks Fred!!

Dominick

Quote from: basenjib123 on March 17, 2019, 03:36:09 PM
Well,  I feel rather stupid  :P .... Thanks Fred!!

Wow! this is an invitation to pile on but we have all had those duh moments.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

basenjib123

Well per Fred's suggestion I was able to straighten it out somewhat but its still off a bit so I wasn't totally wrong, i.e. wasn't machined perfectly...;D.  Thanks for the replies.

handi2

Ive seen Penn's smaller spinning reels that look like that. Mostly the 710, 712,and 714.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

bill19803

if  you  want  to  make  it  perfect  fit   just  file  one  hole   a  bit  oblong     until   you get  it  perfect  should  only  be  a  few  thousands  needed

Frank

Quote from: handi2 on March 18, 2019, 12:10:27 AM
Ive seen Penn's smaller spinning reels that look like that. Mostly the 710, 712,and 714.

Ditto on the Penn's. At first I thought it was limited to a few reels I owned but when I started looking I found several like that.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Gfish

Quote from: bill19803 on March 18, 2019, 02:08:01 AM
if  you  want  to  make  it  perfect  fit   just  file  one  hole   a  bit  oblong     until   you get  it  perfect  should  only  be  a  few  thousands  needed
Yeah. Maybe with some lock washers to keep it in place. What kinda reel is it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

basenjib123

Its a Shakespeare Sea Wonder 2090 ..  Has anyone notice if this effects the reels performance?  I haven't had a chance to try this one out.  Thanks for the replies...Joe.

Frank

Quote from: basenjib123 on March 18, 2019, 04:18:04 PM
Its a Shakespeare Sea Wonder 2090 ..  Has anyone notice if this effects the reels performance?  I haven't had a chance to try this one out.  Thanks for the replies...Joe.

No effect whatsoever, Joe. That's one of those things that you are best if you put it down and walk away. Get it out of your mind. There is no real need to fix anything.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.