Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: festus on December 09, 2019, 02:00:29 AM
Did you weigh the reel, Mo?  There is also an ultraight Zebco 6000 that appears to be about the same size as a D-A-M 265 or Daiwa 1000C.

The 6010 weighs 9.3 ounces. The 6000 weighs 7.6 ounces. It's hard for me to believe there could ever be a need for two reels that close in size. Absolutely anything one would do, the other could do too. I don't have a 1000c...and my 265 is on a rod...so I wedged the 6010 in between a Quick 1000 and a Mitch 408. It's slightly bigger than those two, so I'll assume the 6000 would be about their size.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

I was just comparing my two PENN 7500ss spinners. One has a bronze main gear and the other has a white alloy main gear.
Does this class the alloy gear one as a B grade reel?
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Quote from: basto on December 12, 2019, 11:09:03 PM
I was just comparing my two PENN 7500ss spinners. One has a bronze main gear and the other has a white alloy main gear.
Does this class the alloy gear one as a B grade reel?
Greg

If you go by the book it does. :D  I rarely go by the book anymore though...some of the best reels I've seen wouldn't fare so well by the book. 8)

basto

Yes Mo. I agree. I have a couple of spinners with white main gears that I would consider A class reels.....or maybe B plus
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

This tiny guy is another one of those "Honey B" reels...the kind that make you wonder how so little can work so well. I stated in an earlier thread that this reel had improvements over the 70X. I was going by the schematic...and the lesson learned? Schematics ain't the final word. Schematics don't show certain bushings, sleeves, and other important features. This 70XX isn't better than a 70X...it is different than a 70X.
   These photos below are the reel as received. It was in great shape...probably unused. The feel was very free, these Korean reels with looser tolerances have this feel.

Opening the side plate we find that typical Daiwa design of the era. the "C" series usually have nylon sleeves for the drive gear shaft. It looks like this bird has brass sleeves for the drive gear shaft...but wait...

Fooled again, it's just two brass shims. There are no sleeves for the drive gear shaft.

The drive gear looks better in the 70X, as can be seen in this pic from Chester's post. It has a brass drive shaft...and brass sleeves in the frame...as indicated by the yellow arrows.

Then we come to the pinion gear, and this is where the 70X stumbles. It has that pinion attached to the rotor, with no bearing or bushing.

This brings us to the point where the 70XX shines. As indicated by the green arrow, the double X has a pinion gear separate from the rotor. The blue arrow points to a nice brass bearing. The drive gear(red arrow) is all pot metal...even the shaft.
   So the 70XX has a better pinion gear, while the 70X has a better drive gear. Six of one...half dozen of the other...I bet blindfolded you couldn't tell one from the other! Kinda knocks the wind from the sails of my post. :-\

The drag system is perfect for a tiny reel...just a single teflon washer under a keyed washer...pushing on a spring washer. After a cleanup it should be slick as a ribbon. The drag clicker is metal on this spool.

Here are all the parts cleaned and prepped. The penny gives scale as to just how tiny this reel is.

Are there hillbillies in Korea? This bearing retainer design is pure hillbilly...two small screws...yeah. ::)  I'd be worried about that pot metal pinion on a bigger reel, but for what this little guy will be doing it should work just fine.

Usually I'll oil the gear shaft sleeves, as it makes a tight fitting reel a little more free. No freedom needed here...I did the opposite. I greased everything with Super Lube and only oiled the AR dog and the drag clicker. This should take up the slack...kill the "clunkiness".

I've picked on this little reel pretty hard, you might think I wasn't too fond of it, but I pick on every reel. This thing ain't no NASA build, but it's a fine reel for what it is. It's not the type of light spinner you'd want to push. If you hooked a big pike while crappie fishing...well...you'd be singin' the "Pot Metal Blues".

Does anyone know if there are other XX models? This tiny 70XX is the only model I've seen with two Xs. Maybe it's highly collectible...and I can trade it for a new truck. 8)

festus

Never knew they existed until you posted a pic the other day.  Could this be one of those reels that was sold overseas and not imported here?  Cool little reel.  Imagine a reel half that size and you have the Daiwa 500C.

Actually, I've only seen the gears stripped on a reel once.  A few years ago a friend caught a flathead catfish about 35 lbs on one of those $20 Walmart Shakespeare Tiger combos.  If he hadn't been reeling when the fish was taking drag, I think the reel would have handled it. He got the fish in the boat, nevertheless.

mo65

Quote from: festus on December 22, 2019, 10:52:11 PM
  Imagine a reel half that size and you have the Daiwa 500C.

No kiddin'? Wow...I'd have to have my reading glasses on to fish it. I'll pick up a 500C one of these days, most are fairly pricey.

festus

Mo, here's a 500C side-by-side with a 70X.  Those 500C are the tiniest spinners I've ever seen.  I thought the little Shakespeare Microspins and smallest Pflueger Presidents were small, but these are these are tinier.  The external bail trip actually makes the 500C look larger than it really is.

oc1

I love small reels but, dang, it's hard to appreciate the size while looking at a picture.  The model numbers don't help at all if you do not have the rest of the line-up for comparison.  From the bit I can read of the spool capacity, it is a tad smaller than the MiniMite and more modern to boot.  Chester, is it about 110 yd of 4#? 
-steve

festus

Quote from: oc1 on December 23, 2019, 04:08:10 AM
I love small reels but, dang, it's hard to appreciate the size while looking at a picture.  The model numbers don't help at all if you do not have the rest of the line-up for comparison.  From the bit I can read of the spool capacity, it is a tad smaller than the MiniMite and more modern to boot.  Chester, is it about 110 yd of 4#? 
-steve
Yes Steve, the Daiwa 70X and the 700C hold 110 yds of #4.  The smaller 500C holds 110 yds #2 and 85 yds #4.  I seldom go down to 2 lb mono but it works very well for throwing 1-1/2" Rapalas or 1/64 to 1/32 Trout Magnets.

mo65

I love small reels but, dang, it's hard to appreciate the size while looking at a picture. 

That's why I like to use something for scale in the pic...like the penny.

festus

-steve
Here ya go, Steve, here's the 500C beside some coins.

ClintB

I found this little Shimano 10 at an antique shop for $10, I've got a soft spot for some of these older Japanese reels.

Sharkb8

That daiwa 500 must be a small reel might have to get one of those. I thought my little Shakespeare reel was small at 2lb/155yds 4lb/100yds .here is a picture of it  next to a daiwa bg10.

oc1

Quote from: mo65 on December 23, 2019, 03:13:44 PM
That's why I like to use something for scale in the pic...like the penny.
I can relate to Rolling Rock easier than money.  :)
-steve