Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on January 01, 2020, 03:47:13 AM
On many old fly rods, you can drill out the butt end of the reel seat exposing the butt end of the blank.  Glue a piece of hardwood dowel or fiberglass rod into the blank to extend it a foot or so.  Cover the extension with cork or EVA or you favorite grip material.  Replace the striper and first running snake guide with spinning guides.  You're good to go.
-steve

that was exactly what I was planning to do.

but after seeing that pic from sharkb8 , I might just replace the 1st and 2nd guide as you said and use the reel down-under style  

I also saw "someone" installing a "reelseat plate" on the cork foregrip and use it like that (without taking the fly reelseat out), seems like a pretty lazy job but the rod looked like a Double purpose rod after that or just go "Mcgyver" and use some "zip ties" to attach the spinning reel  ;D

The Baja Guy

oc1

Fuji makes a reel seat plate that attaches to an existing handle of some sort.  You can put it on with wrapping, tape or whatever.

https://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-NS7-Plate-Type-Reel-Seats
https://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-LS7-Plate-Type-Reel-Seats

-steve

Sharkb8

Steelfish most of the rod I built (down under style) we're short rods 6ft or less you may find the rod you are building is to long and the fish will have to much leverage over you. Steve idea might be a better way to go in this case.

Kim

festus

One more B grade to add, the Shakespeare 2210.  I'll post a tutorial in a day or two.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: festus on January 17, 2020, 02:21:55 AM
One more B grade to add, the Shakespeare 2210.  I'll post a tutorial in a day or two.
I have the 2200 version, very nice reel in book. Very smooth and well made 👍

festus

Got one of these Daiwa GS-13 in the mail yesterday.  Serviced it today and will post a breakdown in a day or two.  Was hoping it would be worthy of the A rating, but not so imho.  Stay tuned for why I gave it a B.

happyhooker

Quote from: festus on January 31, 2020, 01:13:06 AM
Got one of these Daiwa GS-13 in the mail yesterday.  

Looks good, if nothing else.  But, I have a feeling, festus, you're gonna tell us all about what the "else" might be.

Frank

mo65

Quote from: festus on January 31, 2020, 01:13:06 AM
Got one of these Daiwa GS-13 in the mail yesterday.  Serviced it today and will post a breakdown in a day or two.  Was hoping it would be worthy of the A rating, but not so imho.  Stay tuned for why I gave it a B.

I studied the schematic and it has the earmarks of a high grade. 3-stack drag, large spool sleeve, forward AR, bearings on both gears. It even has an internal bail trip. I'm going to guess and say the gear material is the weak link. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Lookin forward to the autopsy. Who's "P.J. Hardy 1581"?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Quote from: Gfish on January 31, 2020, 03:24:01 PM
Lookin forward to the autopsy. Who's "P.J. Hardy 1581"?
I imagine it's the first owner of the reel.  Interesting story there.  This reel came from a seller in California.

That  PJ Hardy name sounded familiar.  I searched on Facebook and found there is a guy in Middle Tennessee with the same name. I saw he had one common Facebook friend with me. I sent my friend a message and he said yes, he used to be a co-worker.  He contacted the guy and he said the reel wasn't his but he wanted to buy it.

Ron Jones

That's the cleanest owner identification I've ever seen on a reel. Somebody knew what they were doing.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

It's 1981.  Talk about getting a little help dating a reel.  Wonder how he did it?
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on January 31, 2020, 04:03:37 PM

I imagine it's the first owner of the reel.  Interesting story there.  This reel came from a seller in California.

That  PJ Hardy name sounded familiar.  I searched on Facebook and found there is a guy in Middle Tennessee with the same name. I saw he had one common Facebook friend with me. I sent my friend a message and he said yes, he used to be a co-worker.  He contacted the guy and he said the reel wasn't his but he wanted to buy it.

Chester,

Everything can be for sale, especially "B" grade reels! :D Sell it & make enough to buy 2 or three more!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Got it 1981, thanks. Sounds right for a GS series. Great B reel IMO, surfcasters think they are durable workhorses(stripersonline).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

I've had this one for who knows how long. Been a workhorse and still works great. Any idea what year this would be?
Shakespeare 2230 II
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?