Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Like it or no, that Atlas is sure interesting.

Frank

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: happyhooker on May 07, 2020, 02:33:00 PM
Like it or no, that Atlas is sure interesting.

Frank
I agree. I like the reel, just not one I would use regularly.

Lingwendil

Mind if join in?  8)

Picked this one up on the way home from work yesterday about a block away from Grandma's house. 22$ and it came on a fairly nice 5' fiberglass Harnell ultralight rod. It's a Compac SL110 light spinning reel. Felt a little dry and gummy but not too bad, so of course I tore it down, cleaned it up, and lubed it up with ReelX and Superlube.

The bearing is only sheilded on the top side, open on the bottom.

Bearing looks good as new!

Two leather drag washers, and a nylon that sits on top of the upper one. They were nice and pliable but not greasy or nasty at all. Nice felt material on the edge of the spool to keep debris out of the housing.

Cleaned up pretty nice! Not a bad first vintage spinning reel, nice and simple cleanup, maybe an hour and a half start to finish.

All in all a cool little reel with a very practical ~4.8:1 return ratio. Should make for a nice little setup for catching panfish at the marina  ;D
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Nice clean up Anthony! She looks like a solid ol' reel...enjoy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

nice job on the reel
more about the Harnell, pls.

xjchad

Great job Anthony!
I really like the color on that one!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

basto

Nice stout little reel. Thanks for showing.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

The Fishing Hobby

Midway Tommy

Nice job rejuvenating that guy! He cleaned up really well.  8)  It'll catch a lot of fish!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

kjdunne

Lingwendil, Nice job on your find. I have that SL100's 1st cousin! 1960's japanese spinner branded "MEDALLION IV" my Dad gave me for my 12th or 13th birthday, 1965 or '66.  Pretty much the same reel with a more rectangular body, similar guts.  That reel served me well and caught a lot of fish with minimal maintenance.  IMO, some of those "B" grade reels were (are) true workhorses, all metal and simple design. I somehow lost the drag knob moving around the country and shelved this reel, but if anyone has a knob for it, I would love to clean and service it and get it fishing again.  Sentimental value and all...

Tight lines,
Kal

Lingwendil

Here's another neat reel- a Sportfisher 2100, made for the K-Mart corporation! I bid on this at the last second and scored it for $9.99 shipped  8)

Turns nice and smooth if a little gummy, drag is sticky.

The only manufacturers info I can find on this reel is on this label. Made in Korea, anybody know by whom?

No bearings at all, no bushings either.

Handle gear shaft seems to be chrome plated for wear resistance, at least.

Drag washers feel like rubber/cork mixture, like old valve cover gaskets.

Nice loud drag click spring.

Cleaned up pretty nice! Oiled the drags and now it's nice and smooth.

Neat little reel, going to put it on a 7' medium rated Ugly Stik GX2 and use it as a pier rig with the kids. It's got a ~3.25:1 retrieve so no super far casts on the plans, as that's too slow for the kids to keep out of the mud and snags. I think I'll throw some 12# Big Game mono on it.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Midway Tommy

Looks like it cleaned up nicely! It's always a plus to see a metal crosswind block on those Asian made reels.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 22, 2020, 02:27:16 AM
Looks like it cleaned up nicely! It's always a plus to see a metal crosswind block on those Asian made reels.  :)

Agreed...on the clean up and the crosswind block. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Nice work Anthony!  You're killing it brother!  8) 8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman