alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Pitted spool on a black senator
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 15, 2019, 01:09:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pitted spool on a black senator  (Read 1159 times)
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 04:06:24 PM »

I agree with several others about just use as is with some grease or wax on it, but you gotta test it to see if it's gonna nick your line, first. How to? I own't know for sure. Pull alla line off under drag pressure?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:08:06 PM by Gfish » Logged

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 05:41:57 PM »

Old timers always taught me to test spools and rod line guides for burrs or nicks this way —

Soak the spool with vinegar overnight to arrest and stop the corrosive action of the Verdigris.

Spin the spool in the reel by hand — or hooked up to a line winder machine.

Apply 600 grit emory paper to the spool to smooth out any rough craters.

Clean the spool in warm water, dry it completely.

Use a woman’s stocking to run it over the spool to detect if there are any places that might catch the line.

This also works on rod line guides.

Best,

Fred
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 05:43:01 PM by foakes » Logged

Patience...and the rewards that come with it -- need to be experienced...otherwise, it isn't patience!

What's the difference between a worthwhile plan and a vision?

Your good, worthwhile  plan will always keep changing...However, a good vision will always remain constant and unchanging...
Leckbass

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 05:41:08 AM »

A soak in white vinegar will get rid of the corrosion that's deep in the pits. Then a coat of clear lacquer from a rattle can & then wax it with a paste wax not a liquid polish. JMO

I already soaked it in CLR, cleaned it up pretty good.  I think I'll give the spray lacquer a try on my spare spool
kmstorm64
Firearms Group

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »

I agree with several others about just use as is with some grease or wax on it, but you gotta test it to see if it's gonna nick your line, first. How to? I own't know for sure. Pull alla line off under drag pressure?

Easier than that, use an old pair of pantyhose, they will catch on almost anything.

Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!
Ron Jones
Firearms Group

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »

For the uninitiated, stocking and pantyhose are very similar garments.
The Man

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"
Bill B (Tarfu)
Fish Nutritionist II
Sensei

Crestline, CA

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 08:04:39 PM »

Clean it up, test as described above, and fish it.....or replace......this is a workhorse reel and "pretty" does not catch any more fish....JMO.   Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 12:53:03 PM »

You gotta look at it like this...the spool is already hit...what do you have to loose? Sand it well with 320-600 and spray on a quality paint. If it comes off then pursue other options, but I gotta tell ya, I sprayed this 3/0N spool a few years ago and it's been fished a few times with no loss. It was aluminum though, maybe that works better? Cool

* P4012267.JPG (1838.03 KB, 1844x1411 - viewed 26 times.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:57:14 PM by mo65 » Logged

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Leckbass

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 09:45:22 AM »

You gotta look at it like this...the spool is already hit...what do you have to loose? Sand it well with 320-600 and spray on a quality paint. If it comes off then pursue other options, but I gotta tell ya, I sprayed this 3/0N spool a few years ago and it's been fished a few times with no loss. It was aluminum though, maybe that works better? Cool

looks great to me!  What paint did you use?
ez2cdave
Sensei

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2019, 06:03:17 AM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Senator-113-4-0-Offshore-Reel-Lot-P-1/173867078719

Make an investment . . . Get a better spool and spare parts, too.

Tight Lines !
mo65
Sensei

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 07:39:46 AM »

looks great to me!  What paint did you use?

Here's what I used. I've painted two reels, a set of Newell bars, that spool,  and still have half a can of paint. For six bucks! Cool

https://www.lowes.com/pd/rust-oleum-professional-semi-gloss-black-spray-paint-actual-net-contents-15-oz/3728835?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-pnt-_-google-_-lia-_-219-_-spraypaint-_-3728835-_-0&store_code=472&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy97qBRDoARIsAITONTKO_zdC_cVGSwaXD34c5LzHdk05tYYu829RZTmus2Z8m9XO__evBJwaAi9DEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

George6308

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2019, 11:25:43 AM »

Mo when you spray painted the spool did you use any type of primer? Reel looks good all dressed up an ready for thr prom!
mo65
Sensei

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2019, 01:27:44 PM »

Mo when you spray painted the spool did you use any type of primer? Reel looks good all dressed up an ready for the prom!

All I did was wash the spool with soap and water, then wet sand with 320. Then wiped completely clean with alcohol and a cotton ball. Just two coats...about a half hour apart.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: