Cedros Sportfishing, August 31 to September 4, 2020 - CANCELLED!!!!!!

Started by alantani, August 14, 2019, 03:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneDay

Todd,

I'm going to miss the wild late night (after 9p) parties plus the great Canadian stories!   I'm sure you'll have a great trip. I will be there with my son a couple weeks before and will post conditions and report which might help you guys out.  I love Cedros!

Cheers,

Ed

Hardy Boy

What about Gordo ?? He does not stay up late but he has a lot of jigs !!! ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

scrinch

I just found a new Lexa WN-400H for $144 for next year's trip. I hope this makes me a little better at tossing surface iron than I am with my Penn spinning reels. I plan on pairing it with my Okuma PCH-C-801H rod.

Well, hopefully the YT bite next year is so good that we will be too busy bringing in bait-caught fish that we won't need to wear out our arms slinging iron. But the new reel is just in case.

MarkT

That combo should work fine at Cedros.  I've caught a lot of YT with my original Lexa 400hs-p.  The Winn edition is the original version with cosmetic updates. The Canook (Todd/Hardy Boy) was using my Lexa HD 400hs-p last year while I was using the TranX 500 hg.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hardy Boy

That combo with the Lexa that Mark lent me, cast like a dream. Hope I get the same rental deal again !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

scrinch

Quote from: Hardy Boy on December 03, 2019, 04:43:09 AM
That combo with the Lexa Mark lent me used cast like a dream. Hope I get the same rental deal again !!

Cheers:

Todd
Nah. Just bring one of those Canadian hose-reels that you use for salmon, and use it for the YT!  ;D

Hardy Boy

A single action mooching reel for a yellowtail would be asking for some bloody knuckles and maybe a broken finger or two !! ............................. might be fun to try.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

Quote from: Hardy Boy on December 03, 2019, 04:43:09 AM
That combo with the Lexa that Mark lent me, cast like a dream. Hope I get the same rental deal again !!

Cheers:

Todd

I dunno, demand is up so I think I'll have to double the rental rate for 2020.

Hardy Boy

I can afford even triple what you charged me the last two times ! ;D

Cheers:

todd
Todd

Gobi King

Quote from: Hardy Boy on December 03, 2019, 04:33:42 PM
A single action mooching reel for a yellowtail would be asking for some bloody knuckles and maybe a broken finger or two !! ............................. might be fun to try.

Cheers:

Todd

I found this out, dipped my fly reel in the water in total darkness at 2 am waist high in water casting for salmon in upper Michigan.
Hit a 20lber chinook and all I could hear was rat tat tat tat tat of my knuckles being waken up, the drag was non-existent with water in it.

Not sure if a mooching reel it be any worse than a centerpin I was holding (pin cuz I had no drag at all)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Zarn

rogan

So a few weeks ago I got the nod from Alan that a spot was mine if I wanted it.  I mailed in my deposit, then the quarantine stuff hit the same week and a lot a preoccupation with other things happened.  But now I have finally started working on my gear and prepping for the trip.  First order of business for me it is to get some casting practice.  I've been working on my salt water gear for a few years now, hit a trip for rock fish in central Cali with Alan and the guys a couple years ago and have spent the remainder preparing for a trip like this. I'm going to use the gear I already own, which may not be a perfect fit, but I'm gonna work with it.  The old saying of "beware the guy with only one gun, for he may know how to use it", I'll try to get good with what I have.  

The plan is to cast for at least 30 minutes per session with different setups and rigs, two sessions per week. The pg 255 on a 7'6" rod with 50lb braid works very well for me, easy and consistent to cast with various lures.  The pg cs500 is a close second, set up on a matching rod but with different 50lb braid.  I am also working with a 9' jig stick and the pro challenger jiggy i built with parts from the forum members.  It casts well, but ease of casting and distance wise, it's currently not adding either to the equation.

Ron Jones

You could do worse than those three setups. Looking forward to meeting you.
I recommend working on casting consistency. 30 or so yards with no birds nest over and over is way better than 50+ yards with a bird's nest every other cast. Just take it easy and fix one thing at a time.

If you can, cast different weights and cast them into and with the wind. The more you cast and get smooth the more fun you'll have at Cedros.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

rogan

Ron,
Thanks for the advice, I agree about the consistency thing, especially with the differing conditions we will face on the water that I cannot duplicater here in the AZ desert. I'll make the conditions as tough as I can here. 
Looking forward to meeting the whole crew.
Rich

MarkT

If you get good throwing the Tady 45 you'll be fine.