Peninsula Fishing Club - Huli Cat - rockcod/crab combo November 7, 2019

Started by Alans Buddy, September 16, 2019, 02:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeysm

Snack sticks ready to cut and package.

Mike

Alans Buddy

Here's some info for the trip from the Huli Cat:

6-6:15am, at the boat, check in, sign up, get familiar with rod and where to fish, find a sack.  Easy Mart, across the highway from the Harbor, has squid at better prices.  Looking forward to it!

Ben

El Pescador

It's Happening!!!

Local Crabbers are getting ready to go Crabb'n!!!!

My Lovely Jennifer was driving to pick up a girlfriend for lunch yesterday when we saw these two YOUNG men getting ready for Crab season.

They both came flying out asking her, "May we HELP YOU???"

Jen recounts the story of her younger brother during the late 1970's working on a Tender in Kodiak, AK.  She commented your pots are TINY compared to Alaska King Crab pots!!!   They all laughed and she was on her way,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

JoseCuervo

This will be my first crab trip, can anyone provide pointers?

I understand the limit is 10 per fisherman (is that right?), any chance we each get that many each?

How long do you boil them? Something tells me from years ago they are done when red, but that might be incorrect.

If you can't eat all you have the first day but could eat more the second, are you better off cooking them all and then refrigerating or freezing them right away, or can you keep them alive a day out of the water?

Do you use straight water, or is crab / crawfish boil a good seasoning?

Feel free to lay it all out! I am soo looking forward to this trip, I missed last year.

Thanks

Rob

El Pescador

Rob,

yes, 10 Dungeness Crab is the daily limit.  Done 3 of these Crab & rockfish combos in mid-Nov. and mid-Dec. - was successful on all three trips -

10 Crab
10 Rockfish
2 Lingcod

Boil or Steam them for 15-20 minutes, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking BUTT ask Dominick he is the REEL pro.

We've salted the water before and the crab was salty tasting.

I look forward to meeting you.

Wayne

El Pescador

Alan's Buddy!

My loving wife, Jennifer, will make LOTS of her world-famous Double Chocolate Chip Brownies for all to enjoy.

Nov. 7 EARLY at the dock Buddy Boy.

Wayne

JoseCuervo

Thanks Wayne! I don't have a big steamer, but do have a turkey fryer setup. It sounds like later trips will have folks cooking them at the dock/parking lot. I have family at home to feed so I am working on my plan. We met last year on the rockfish trip that was a makeup for the combo trip that went south when the HuliCat had a mechanical, I believe- You have a smile and attitude one could not forget! I hope I am remembering correctly. You commented on my hat that almost went overboard, I made that thing and will swim for it.

Rob

mikeysm

I just pay to have them cooked at the dock. Saves time and the hassle. I dont have much time off lately  so I want someone else to do it.

Mike

El Pescador

Rob,

I agree with Mikeysm,  Boil your crab when we return to the dock.  They are set up for a quick boil and the fee is reasonable.

Also, great job on the Penn label sewn on your hat!

Do you take in-home clothing repairs and alternations??? ;D

I look forward to putting your face again to your name... AGAIN!

Weather looks FANTASTIC for Thursday.  

Wayne

gstours

Hi all.  I wish I could go butt it's not in the cards ♥️.  I,m counting on Peskadoro to be the group photo person and share this event with us all.  Good luck and lite winds.🎣

Alans Buddy

El Pescador

NOT JinX NOTHING here...  BUT...

The weather looks to be nothing short of spectacular!!!!

Winds:  2-3 mph

Gusts:  5 mph

Temps:  58 - 60 degrees

Pressure:  Holding steady at 30  mmHg

AND for Dominick... Wave Height:  at 4'

Gary,  Hold tight, I will offer my usual cinematography as you have seen in your home town of Gustavus, AK.

BUTT who knows????

Wish us luck.

Wayne

jon_elc