CAP reel

Started by TRS, October 19, 2019, 10:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRS

Steve,
The reel was originally designed by the company La Canne à Pêche of Angers , I believe there was some consideration given to that feature, but it was found, according to french law at the time, that it would require maintenance several times a day.  This was felt to be an undue burden that would adversly impact sales and so it was omitted.
They call it fishing, not catching

TRS

Here are some pictures of the internals, the two major differences between the C.A.P., Mitchell C.A.P and Mitchell 304 are the C.A.P.s had planimetric gears and a metal slide. The planimetric gears were replaced with a crosswind around 1956 and the words Mitchell 304 were used on the reels cover plate.

This was the third reel sold under the Mitchell name after the 300 and 302 but probably is the oldest base design. Early C.A.P models from the 1930s and later featured pillared spools similar to those found on many pre-war reels presumably to allow the fishing lines of that era to dry better.  A brief history of the C.A.P reels and it's descendants can be found at:
http://www.mitchellcap.info/index.html

The axle

These are the Driving gear, planetary gear, satellite gear, and oscillation slider. The driving gear assembly consists of a stainless steel shaft and anti-reverse gear and the aluminum main gear.  The round stainless steel slider has a raised section on the back a bit over 1/32 thick were it sits on the flat section of the axle.

Here is the axle inserted in the body

Slider installed

Planetary gear added

Satellite gear in orbit

Driving gear in place

Cover plate on

The backside of the reel (body) The only other marking I could find was the word France inside the rotating head.

The rest of the reel, bail, bail trip, anti-reverse, etc.. are the same as the Mitchell 304 that Festus did an outstanding tutorial on.

Overall I found this to be an exceptionally well-made reel at approximately 75 years old still going strong, Hopefully, I'll be in this good a condition when I am this age.

mo65

Nice look inside! It's interesting that when the 314 came along it brought back the planamatic gears. It was like a "deluxe" 304...came with two pushbutton spools also.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

The information in the link you provided was a compilation done by Jim Seiler, who spent a lot of time researching the various CAP and round bodied Mitchell reel models. His purpose was to create a chronology of just the round bodied CAP/Mitchell style reels from its beginning through its final chapter and demise. Mr. Seiler passed on in 2002 without ever completing his research and book. I have an unpublished copy of his research, basically a rough draft in book form. My draft has additional information not included in the link provided. The draft consists of 120 pages. It is Mr. Seiler's conclusions and differs from information provided on the Mitchell Museum site and Dennis Roberts' books and should be taken as such.

It appears you have a first version 54 (Mitchell) CAP with the second version 54 Mitchell CAP spool. The first version spool was pillared with five small posts. The second and subsequent version spools have two slots. Your example is a common occurrence because the spools will interchange. The click spring mechanism on the underside of the spool indicates the time frame or probable version of reel the spool originated from.

Your spool has not been neglected or abused. Spools on the "54" CAPs have an approximate 1/16" concave recess across the diameter of the spool bottom. Your spool, though, appears, from your photo, to have lost the metal disk/washer in the center. That disked area should be flat and flush with the adjacent spool bottom. The disk was more than likely pressed into the recessed area. Also, the click pawl only allows the spool to spin when line is being taken out. It should block the spool from rotating in the opposite direction. You may have to make a new disk/washer the correct thickness and diameter (tight) and press it into the area on your spool where it is missing.

Below is what the bottom of the spool should resemble. As you can see, the paint has worn off the center disk/washer.   

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

TRS

Tommy,

Thanks alot for solving my problem, I really appreciate it.  I'm assuming the missing disk was aluminum??
I found this reel facinating, it's a simple, rugged design. This is also the only Mitchell I have taken apart that is smooth running and quiet but has no internal shims.