Dam Quick 110 Reel Restored by Fred Nov. 2019

Started by El Pescador, November 11, 2019, 11:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

During our Edison Lake camping trip, one morning Fred brought out several plastic storage boxes filled with reels, mostly spinners.  Also had a stack of fishing poles and another storage box of fishing line.

Fred looks at Steve (Swill88), Jonathan (the swimmer), Rick and me & tells us, "Please pick out a reel, a rod and some fishing line to use on the reel!"

Well the bunch of us looked around, reely not knowing what to do.  Finally, I said, "My Dad always said Never look a Gift Horse in the Mouth!" - Whatever that means!!!

I grabbed a black crinkled painted reel, knew it was a Dam Quick and that is all I knew about it.  Promptly placed the reel in a Ziploc back and handed it back to Fred asking him to give it a once over and send it back when ready.  Well, the reel arrived back last week, and I am TOTALLY PLEASED with what Fred did to this reel.   Check it out.

Here is the storage box of reels we have to choose from.

Box of fishing line,

And rods to choose from,

And here is the reel after being worked on by Fred!

The reel is absolutely stunning - NOT a mark, scratch or smudge - NADA!!!

Look at the medallion - FLAWLESS and BEAUTIFUL!!!!  A Master reel restoration from Fred.

I should have sent this reel to MO for his professional photography - MO you are the best and have the clearest and sharpest photos on this site.   BAR NONE.

NOT even a MARK on the stand - So clean.

And a Orange reel bag with my name printed on it!!!   Fred you are so thoughtful!!!!!

My recommendation is to send Fred your Dam Quick's for expert repair and highest quality restoration work - by far!!

Fred, you are a true craftsman.  My hats off to you - I plan on using this reel in the Sierra Nevada mountains next summer - of course, I'll post photos of my fishing trip.  Always do!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

xjchad

Wow, that sure is a treasure Wayne!

Fred is definitely a master of his trade, and the finishing touches really put it over the top!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

thorhammer

Alto Mare

I'm not surprised, Fred has touched many here.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

happyhooker

jon_elc

Dang, good find, Wayne!  I actually started fishing with a Dam Quick 110 when i was kid.  My Dad probably gifted it away some years ago, after i had switched to more modern shimano quickfire reels.  I've been tearing apart my mom's garage every visit I make, looking to see if he may have stashed it away somewhere...  No luck so far...

mo65

That is the most perfect 110 I think I've ever seen...fantastic work Fred! Thanks for the compliment Wayne, but no fancy photography is needed to see the merits of that beauty!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tiddlerbasher

foakes

When these DQ's leave the bench -- they are as new -- regardless of how rough they arrived...

Process on Wayne's tiny 110 DQ Microlite was --

Inspection
Full disassemble
Ultrasonically cleaning of all parts
Re-inspection of all cleaned parts
Burnishing of every part -- whether visible, or not
Polishing of each part
Replacement of any worn parts with new parts
Exterior prep for oven-baked wrinkle paint
Paint & baking
Assemble using modern synthetic lubes
Micro-tune, adjust, test
Recheck all functions and parts one more time before bagging and sending back to owner

This may seem like a lot of work for just a reel -- but I never grow tired of these great old reels.  

I have a tremendous respect for the quality and engineering of the DQ's -- and have NEVER not been able to restore even the toughest and roughest old soldier to new condition.  Out of multiple thousands of DQ's worked on over the yesrs -- there is bound to be one or two that are not possible to restore -- but so far it has not crossed the bench.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

What Wayne did not mention is that Fred sent along a DQ Microlite I had ordered from him.  It too was in pristine condition.  Thank you Fred for your fine workmanship in building that reel.  That will be my go to reel for trout on the Truckee.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Well, the time has come to put the DQ 110 into gear and catch some wild trout!!!

Jerry and I are north of Downieville, CA around the Gold Lake area, and today we are heading to fishing both Snake & Little Deer Lakes.

Are we are motoring around, I receive a GPS Text from Dominick, telling me he is getting hammered by Thunderstorms and hail.

I told him I see your issue!!!!   Dominick is under those thunderheads about 40 miles away.

Here is the northwest side of Gold Lake -a large lake that takes to trolling from a boat very well.

We drove to point where Jerry's BRAND NEW Ford 2020 Ranger with ZERO SCRATCHES would go before his Mrs. would not appreciate our going forward motion ;D

And we took off downhill FAST!!!!

This is looking back to where we just walked.  Told Jerry his truck would easily make it down, but back up, don't think so.

Here is Snake Lake - and we caught NOTHING here.  Snake eyes!!!! :-\

Stopped and talked with these guys for a bit, there was NO WHERE they decided to go that they wouldn't make.   Mean Machines

We arrive at Little Deer lake and what a beautiful place to spend a few afternoon hours.  AND CATCH FISH!!!!

Here is my rig for the day, Fred's BRAND NEW OLD STOCK DQ 110 on a Fenwick 6' 2-6 lbs. test weight rod - PERFECT combo!!!!

And whether it was a spinner or fly/bobber combo, it all worked out.

Wild Rainbow trout - hard fighting and fish between 9" - 12".   SOLID hard fighting fish.  the DQ 110 easily brought them to the shoreline.  Smooth, with a great in-gear clicker!!!!   First spinner I've used for high sierra trout since I first fished my Garcia Mitchell 308 at age 14.  

Had lunch under the shade.  Cheese, apples and canned sardines.  Could not have been better!!!!

Now just 2 miles of uphill back to the truck for this!!!!

Some of THAT 3.2% water in a can!!!

Plan your next trip, PUT it on the calendar and GO FISHING!!!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Great scenery, great gear, great lakes, great fish, average beer.

Frank

Gfish

Beautiful scenery and wild trout.
Wayne, if some shady lookin people make a peace offering to you of a gift wooden horse, better check the rear-end for trap door.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!