Information needed for diy welded rings

Started by gstours, November 14, 2019, 08:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

You can buy brass wire in just about any size.  Monel is another option but it has become difficult to find these days

The soldering temperature is determined by the alloy of the solder, not the ring material alloy.  Brass and stainless can be joined at the same temperature when using the same solder.  But, you need a large enough difference in the melting temperature of the solder and the melting temperature of the ring material that you can control it with a hand torch without burning through the ring.

Another thing is that the metal will loose it's temper when heated.  The joint will be strong, but not too rigid.  You can get the temper back by work hardening.  After soldering, lay the ring on an anvil and strike it with a hammer.  Don't hit it hard enough to make a sharp edge.  The ring will work harden further just by using it.
-steve

Bryan Young

Look up brazing with silver solder.  I find it very strong  I have used both stainless steel and brass. I try to use re-use materials when possible, like stainless steel bicycle spokes. If it's weak you will know it when you bend them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

Just starting out myself to braze some things and wondering for any who might already know.  Brass should braze easily at lower temps but would not be as strong as SS, I'd like to see some kind of failure testing but haven't found but one video on the web that wasn't really scientific and didn't show any actual numbers.  Don't know if anyone has ever done this but information seems like it would be useful.  In other words.  If I were to use brass wire for making rings for rock fishing our central coast waters that might be enough strength for the task, Butt would it be enough for the butts Gary targets? 
What material would be best suited for that, or cow tuna?
Is SS the preferred material for all rings?
I purchased a variety of sizes and thickness rings from the above site (mentioned in the brazing video) this will give me plenty to practice with.
Maybe I'll have to figure out how to make myself a hydraulic tester of some sort that would give me a failure in PSI. 

RowdyW

A big enough spring scale should give you an answer.

oc1

Quote from: David Hall on November 18, 2019, 01:06:13 AM
Just starting out myself to braze some things and wondering for any who might already know.  Brass should braze easily at lower temps but would not be as strong as SS, I'd like to see some kind of failure testing but haven't found but one video on the web that wasn't really scientific and didn't show any actual numbers.  Don't know if anyone has ever done this but information seems like it would be useful.  In other words.  If I were to use brass wire for making rings for rock fishing our central coast waters that might be enough strength for the task, Butt would it be enough for the butts Gary targets?  
What material would be best suited for that, or cow tuna?
Is SS the preferred material for all rings?
I purchased a variety of sizes and thickness rings from the above site (mentioned in the brazing video) this will give me plenty to practice with.
Maybe I'll have to figure out how to make myself a hydraulic tester of some sort that would give me a failure in PSI.  
Stainless is stronger than brass.
https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/AISI-316-S31600-Stainless-Steel/UNS-C23000-CW502L-Red-Brass

You're right David.  It is brazing, not soldering, because the temperature is over about 800 F and there is a filler material (solver solder).  Brass can also be brazed with brass rod filler.

If you silver solder two pieces of brass or two pieces of stainless together then try to force them apart, they will both break at the edge of the solder.  But, that's with some twisting and bending because I don't have anything strong enough to break either one without first weakening the metal by twisting and bending.  

I'd really like to see someone breaking a brass and a stainless soldered ring with the proper equipment.  

I guess you could solder a brass ring then solder a stainless ring to the brass ring.  Tie one ring to the truck bumper and tie the other ring to that rotten old pillar on the corner of the porch.  Hey, wait a minute.  I'll be back.

-steve

gstours

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and information.  I,m not trying to get the most out of the testing of ultimate strength initially just wondering what to purchase when possible to continue the jig problem of eliminating the split ring.    I have learned from you ... :)
    Many might say why do you wanna do this anyway ??     Answer is ??     Knowledge is 💥

Keta

I have been ringing hooks for many years, silver solder works well if there are no gaps.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Anytime I can invest $100 or so for $12 worth of fishing gear, but get to make something myself I'm in all the way.  Buy high sell low that's my motto.

Caranx

Quote from: David Hall on November 19, 2019, 05:16:18 AM
Anytime I can invest $100 or so for $12 worth of fishing gear, but get to make something myself I'm in all the way.  Buy high sell low that's my motto.
Funny but true for me too David!
I bought a tube of silver rods for $50.00 plus the flux. = $$$
Just because...

Keta

I am still using the same flux and solder I bought years ago, a little goes a long way.  If the flux dries out add water.   Replacing hooks on $10.00-$20.00 iron and ringing hooks is cost effective.

I have several 275# scales if anyone wants to test their rings.  They sold for much more but I will sell them for $25 plus shipping. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Quote from: David Hall on November 19, 2019, 05:16:18 AM

Couldn't agree more.

gstours

Thanks for the comeback.  We all fish a little differently but generally want a fairly short path to success.  I got a scales a few years ago and its very usefull in testing tackle.  I have done a fair amount of knot testing the static load method I think its called.   I always still jump when the line breaks,  kind of like the same jumpy you did do when a phaesant came out of the little bush at your feet!!!!!! ;)
   I would encourage others to look a Lee,s scales as they quantify if your good or just joe average.   Thanks again.

oc1

you still have to pull on it.  I might be able to hang myself and not break it.  Maybe a boat trailer wench.
-steve

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

You can heat SS it to a red glow and cool slowly to anneal it.  This makes it easier to wrap around a mandrel when making your own ring blanks.  Bending it or whacking it with a brass hammer will stiffen and harden it again.
-steve