Fenwick FS 120

Started by ClintB, December 06, 2019, 05:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on December 11, 2019, 12:37:46 PM
Wow, what an awesome rod! I love fishing long ultralight rods...and especially fiberglass!

COOL!!!  maybe I can get you or Steve to guinea-pig for me   ;D ;D ;D

http://www.fish-united.com/products/Cortland-ProCast-Noodle-Rods.html

dealing directly w/ Indonesia, is the only thing that gives me pause -- someone w/ ZERO noodles should be first  :o
I think these may be the same Cortland Noodles I heard great things about, back when they were reg. price ($90?)
nothing fancy: good IM-6 (which, in the graphite world, is the closest thing to glass, IMO) w/ Fuji components
Moderate, rather than Slow, w/ a bit more backbone (2-10 line) -- should be a better casting tool
when Cortland was having problems (out of non-fly business / out of business /  ???   :-[   :'( ) they were $35 clearance
at FishUSA & while I was convincing myself that I need another noodle, they went to $19.99 - SOLD OUT - blink of an eye

FORGET ALL THAT...  STEVE GOT RIPPED OFF !!!

sorry, Steve -- had a nice long-winded reply days ago in preview & never clicked post...  good thing
couple days rest for the feeble memory resurfaced the Cortlands...  let's try again

Quote from: oc1 on December 08, 2019, 06:32:14 AM
Very interesting guys.  Has anyone noticed a Fenwick fiberglass steelhead rod rated for 1/16 - 1/8 oz. lures?  Or, would this noodle be about the lightest?
pretty sure that's the lightest glass 12', PERIOD
not sure if Fenwick started making later versions w/ slightly heavier tip
or there was a general consensus among anglers that the "1" in 1-6 was a fantasy
everywhere I asked, I got 2-6 without ever seeing it written on a blank

Phil, I assume you are saying that these things will not cast worth a darn.  Correct??
well, if your main objective is to keep a delicate bait on the hook during a gentle lob, they cast GREAT
with my minimal skills, I can't even imagine fully loading/unloading this blank for a distance cast
even if you can, don't expect accuracy or consistency...  forget wind -- a dragonfly fart could throw you off
so sloppy/floppy/bouncy it's not even great for mending line, despite the length
...but if you are dealing w/ 20lb beasties that run away from 6lb mono, what else can you do?

I need something to throw 1/8 oz. and am thinking 2wt fly rod blank.  At least 10 ft.
a mod/fast 2/3 wt. would be great, but 10'+ may limit your options
an interesting cheaper/faster/lazier possibility: find the right 12' crappie rod
& rebuild just the butt section w/ longer handle & proper spinning reduction train
(all the PITA little running guides are already there for you) & I vaguely remember
an affordable specialty vendor (will dig if interested) that offers spare tip sections
for some of their stock...  could maybe get 2-3 different ones & build the butt

Discuss.  :)
-steve

The Fishing Hobby

I made a similar type of rod out of a cheap ($10 on clearance) crappie vertical jigging rod. Worked out great for light weight lures:

philaroman

thank you...  you're so on the same page & so way ahead of me, I'm embarrassed
aside from my noodle butt section needing complete rebuild
I have 2 Wally Marshall's & 2 Zebco's 9'-16' waiting for just such alterations as your vid(s)
don't even get me started on long crappie rods w/ good blanks & idiotic design / crap hardware
too much of a thread-stealing tangent...  unless I mention that some of the cheapest
Zebco/Quantum is beautiful Korean tobacco glass under the hideous paint & garbage components

The Fishing Hobby

It is criminal what they gob on some good quality fiberglass blanks  :D

oc1

I've always wondered about those crappie rods and bream busters but decided it would be too good to be true.

I actually ordered one of those Indonesian noodles and got ripped off.  Never received it and never got a reply to the complaints.  They were mentioned here a few years ago.

-steve

The Fishing Hobby

One of y'all may be interested in this one:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143462955985
I just saw it while I was browsing around vintage rods.

philaroman

Quote from: oc1 on December 12, 2019, 08:27:30 AM
I've always wondered about those crappie rods and bream busters but decided it would be too good to be true.

I actually ordered one of those Indonesian noodles and got ripped off.  Never received it and never got a reply to the complaints.  They were mentioned here a few years ago.

-steve

sorry, that must have been me... 

Daiwa's selection of longer Fast L/UL is pretty good at many price points
cheapo: WLASS1062ULFS 10'6" GLASS 4-10# line
better: PSO1102ULFS 11' IM-7 2-6 line; 1/32-1/4 lure

since I steered you wrong before,
I was gonna' say "find a dealer YOU trust"
but $20 for the cheapo from florida...
https://fishermens-headquarters.myshopify.com/products/43178220368

oc1

No Worries.  At that price, it cannot hurt to try.
-steve

steelfish

Quote from: philaroman on December 14, 2019, 06:06:17 AM

Daiwa's selection of longer Fast L/UL is pretty good at many price points
cheapo: WLASS1062ULFS 10'6" GLASS 4-10# line
better: PSO1102ULFS 11' IM-7 2-6 line; 1/32-1/4 lure

wow, thats really UL long rod

I have some germal rods that I bough on San Diego, Ca. few years ago at the fredhall show.
they are Balzer rods

one is :

Balzer Magic spin 25  2.7mt (8.8ft)
lure 5gr-20gr ( 11/64  to 45/64)

BALZER MAGNA Magic Spin 25 2.70m (5-25g) 1-5kg Carbon Spinning Fishing Rods
High Quality IM-7 Carbon blank with Titanium SIC guides.

Superb rod for bream, trout, whiting, mullet, salmon trout; ideal for trout.

Works well for bass, red or yellow perch as well sooty grunter.

BALZER MAGNA Magic Spin25 2.70m 5-25g Spinning rods High Quality Cross Fiber IM-7 Carbon blank Two-piece, Nylon/ABS and stainless steel reel seat Quality Portuguese cork handle Titanium SIC guides 6+1 ring-guides 2 sections
Excellent rod, fast action tip works with all lures up to 25g.
And as always, is a BALZER Germany rod!

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Ultra High Quality IM-7 Carbon rods (read more about fishing rod carbon blank types)
Titanium SIC guides
Very strong blank construction (cross-fiber-IM-7 carbon)
Portuguese cork handle
Precise joints
Nylon/ABS and stainless steel reel seat
Length: 2.70m

https://adoretackle.com/balzer-magna-magic-spin-25-2-70m-5-25g-1-5kg-carbon-spinning-rods/

and also I have the same rod but bit larger
Balzer Zander 25 3.80mt (14ft)
lure 5gr-20gr ( 11/64  to 45/64)

this is 14ft rod is really fun to fish with, pretty sure I already showed this pic before but I will do it again LOL, I like it a lot
me with a 1# corvina, with 6# mono line and a 2500 shimano reel.

The Baja Guy