Shakespeare 2068 Sport Wonder

Started by Midway Tommy, December 15, 2019, 07:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Hmmm... Wonder why mine came free. No matter, it's in place now. I believe it's working. Will double check.

Noticed another difference with my reel: It did not have the plastic shielded bearing that yours has, and are in the two 2062's I have. My 2068 has the same metal shielded Hoover bearing I'd found on my Pflueger 551 (2062). What year did Shakes acquire Pflueger? This shield is permanent and needed to be punctured and essentially torn off to clean, inspect, and repack it.

Midway Tommy

Shakespeare bought Pflueger in '66. Reels were made in both Kalamazoo & Fayetteville for awhile.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Tom.

Oh, and the roller on my 2068 spins freely.  :fish

PacRat

I waited until I could peek inside my 2068 again before commenting. I took apart the line roller on my EG 2068 and three 2062s (2 FE and 1 DA). None of them had shim washers (X47W) at the line roller. On all four reels I could tighten the lock nut all the way down and the roller would still spin freely with just a little end-play (but not enough to allow line to slip in). Personally, I would only use the shim if line could fit in there.

Then I read the comment about the shim at the oscillation gear stud so I had to go back and check that before writing a comment. My EG 2068 does not have a shim at the oscillation gear stud. This reel is in very good condition and I believe it to be un-molested before I serviced it.

-Mike

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Mike. I actually found that little shim on the paper towel in front of me while first taking the reel apart. "Uh oh! Where does this little bugger go?"

The only place it appeared likely to fit was the roller shaft. Then I saw the one on Tom's oscillation stud, and opened mine back up. My shim didn't fit there. That's when I broke out the schematics.

The "as required" comment in the parts list says a lot. No CAD or CNC when these lovely reels were made. And I'm willing to get creative when needed to bring an old reel up to snuff.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Paul Roberts on January 04, 2023, 12:55:08 AMThanks, Mike. I actually found that little shim on the paper towel in front of me while first taking the reel apart. "Uh oh! Where does this little bugger go?"

The only place it appeared likely to fit was the roller shaft. Then I saw the one on Tom's oscillation stud, and mine back up. My shim didn't fit there. That's when I broke out the schematics.

The "as required" comment in the parts list says a lot. No CAD or CNC when these lovely reels were made. And I'm willing to get creative when needed to bring an old reel up to snuff.

That's why one never knows where they might find a shim or washer. Most higher quality stuff got hands on testing and and adjustment before the quality control inspector ever saw or touched it. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

Quote from: foakes on January 02, 2023, 07:41:02 PM...
If anyone ever gets a chance to pick up one or two of the books on Spinning Tackle by George Thommen (an expert and pioneer manufacturer of quality spinning reels) —- get it.

It is a fascinating and evenly presented volume of information about many different brands and their history.

Here is one published in 1954 —- Complete Guide to Spinning Tackle.

Best, Fred
My Thommen book arrived. Interesting in that much of the info is relevant today.

foakes

Yes, Paul —-

For me, those books by George Thommen about Early Spinning reels, techniques, and development —- are both fascinating as well as educational.

I have (2) of his books —- the 1949 & 1954 editions.

Another great source of information about spinning reels are the (4) guides by Ben Wright.

They offer extensive and relevant ID, as well as dating.

If you have Wright's and Thommen's books —- you have it covered from the early 50's to the mid 90's.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.