Daiwa 47H Reel Handle Broken from Donnyboat in AU Jan. 2020

Started by El Pescador, January 31, 2020, 02:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi Wai, thanks for the tip of the Jigmaster handle, yours looks great, Wayne dont tell every one, ha haa, it cost me AU$6:00, Joe I am thinking of using 40Lbs braid with 30 to 35 Lbs top shot, I must admit that the rubber handle it has now, will stay warm in the winter, Mike dont worry, all good mate, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Joe your question of how much weight when drifting, for me it depends on how fast we are drifting, for Western Australian Dhu fish & Blue bone groper, it is best to be on the bottom all the time, if you cant feel the bottom, then put more weight on, so it depends on the wind & tide, hope that helps, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Decker

Quote from: Donnyboat on February 28, 2020, 03:56:57 PM
Joe your question of how much weight when drifting, for me it depends on how fast we are drifting, for Western Australian Dhu fish & Blue bone groper, it is best to be on the bottom all the time, if you cant feel the bottom, then put more weight on, so it depends on the wind & tide, hope that helps, cheers Don.

Don, thanks.  My question was more to understand how much weight the reel can muscle under a constant load.   How deep are the Dhu and grouper?  Wondering if it can handle 2lbs of lead for example, for deep bottom fishing.

Okay, so I googled Dhufish and see a picture of a huge fish with its swim bladder popping out of its mouth, so that pretty much answers the question :)  Yep, it must be a strong reel.

Donnyboat

Thanks Joe, see that fish you have posted, the top fin has alot of white fin trailing at the back of it, that indecates it is a mail fish, they grow to about 23Kgs, but most are about 50 to 65 Cms, about 6 Kgs @ 65 Cms.
      I would not use 2 Lbs of weight on these reels, Wayne has asked me to send some more pics of the reel, IE- line capacity, personally, I like to use a Senator 6/0 for bottom bouncing, as you have plenty of line if you get snagged, rather than pulling the drift anchor then starting up the motor & moving to the other side of the reef to unhook the line, I just keep letting line out, till the fish get it of the reef, quite often it is a large fish that takes you under the reef, they often come out after a few minute, then your back on Bizz again.
      I would prefer to use these reels for skippy, if burlying up we sometimes get a Samson fish, with the 5 to one ratio, they would be farst enough for jigging, and the pinion would stand upto it, any reel faster, the pinion often strips or cracks @ the top, hope that helps, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Yes Don I do want to post photos of the left side plate showing it is a higher speed reel than the Sealine 47H.

Don's is a Sealine 47SH  with a 5.1:1 speed ratio.   See.

And Don, there is just a bit more light in the Western part of Australia than is needed for this photo, you can sorta make out the line capacities by line weight.

So I ended up on eBay getting this photo with clear numbers by line weight and capacity.

And so we all now know.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Porthos

Quote from: Decker on February 28, 2020, 05:06:43 PM
...how much weight the reel can muscle under a constant load.   How deep are the Dhu and grouper?  Wondering if it can handle 2lbs of lead for example, for deep bottom fishing.

The Jigmaster power handle arm is 3," so 1" longer than the Daiwa factory balanced handle (hole-to-hole). Main line is 65lb Power Pro solid to 50lb Berkley Big Game. Drag was hand-tightened to 15 lbs from top-of-spool (could probably get a few more lbs with some sort of a leveraging tool on the star). I was using it on the last fishing day of the 2019 SOA Charter to land 3'+ ling cod from the bottom (at least 150'+).

The extra torque from the longer arm is, IMHO, well worth permanently expanding the handle hole, so much so that I even converted a Pro Challeger handle (3.5") in the same way for my 30H/170 SMF which share the same gear sleeve hole size as the 47H/47SH:

...170SMF left, 47SH right.

Donnyboat

Thanks Wai, they really are nice handles, Bill the dhu fish can be as deep as 100 M but most of the fishing we get, is know deeper than 50 M, I have caught them in 6 M, if you catch them in 6 M it does not damage the swim bladder, and they really do fight in shallow water, once you get into 35 to 30 M they dont fight for very long, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

kevin cozens

i found the standard handle on my 47 a bit short so i brought a power handle which is a lot better.
i had to file the hole slightly but it works well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305051945961?var=604024149825