Daiwa GS-13X

Started by festus, January 31, 2020, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

The silver Daiwas have been impressive to me. Been looking for one of the gold series, and good reasonably priced ones that aren't scratched and scarred are rare. Finally found one in decent shape that wasn't a bidding war--the GS-13X.

The handle and body cover have been removed.

These reels have 3 ball bearings.  Removing the one on the handle side.

Removing the oscillating slider.

Removing the screw that attaches the oscillating support to the axle.

Removing axle and spool.

This has been a clean reel this far along.  Doubt if it was used very much.  Takes a 14mm socket to remove the rotor nut.

Removing the oscillating support.

Separating the rotor from the body.

A look at the anti-reverse assembly.  To take out the pinion and ball bearing, a portion of this a/r assembly will be removed.

Removing the drive gear and bearing.

The anti-reverse spring and holder have been removed.

Removing the anti-reverse ratchet.

Removing the a/r claw, plate, and screw.

Only things left that need to be removed to take out the pinion and bearing are the ball bearing retaining washer and two screws.

The bail assembly was clean and functioning very well, the line roller turned, so I left all that intact.  The drive gear, ball bearings, and pinion gear were all cleaned with lacquer thinner.

Pinion gear, ball bearing, and anti-reverse assembly are back in place.

Rotor has been reattached to the body.

Setting the ball bearing on the non-handle back in place.

Reinserting the main gear.

Oscillating support goes back into place.

Lubing the circular track the oscillating slider runs on.

Oscillating slider going back into place.

Oiling the axle.

Axle has been reinserted, fastening it to the oscillating support.

Reinserting the handle side ball bearing and finishing up.

Reattaching the handle.

These are nice reels, but this one doesn't feel as "free wheeling" as some of the Daiwa silvers even though it has two more ball bearings.  It's smooth, but the handle is a bit more difficult to turn than the silvers.  Maybe if I take out a shim or two on the handle side bearing it'll feel better.  No real complaint, just some of the cheaper South Bends, Shakespeare and Compac Omoris, Heddons, and Zebcos I've serviced are more easily turning.  This one has a better quality handle and spool assembly than the silvers.  It weighs 11.5 ounces.  Line capacity is 270 yds 6 lb mono, 200/8, 125/10, and 100/12.  8 lb. mono would be ideal.

.....already found someone who wants to buy this reel, might take them up on it but I want to fish it at least once before I decide.

sparidae

both pinion and main gear looks so good. i think these models are legend and nowadays new reels are not as good as this one. thank you for this great rebuild, sincerely.
. a fisher - dad - son - husband
reel maintenance

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Thank you for this,
I like what I see; especially that AR system, looks robust and well manufactured. I have a few of the silvers, I might look into one of these. Maybe thinner grease will let it spin easier?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

festus

Quote from: alantani on January 31, 2020, 06:51:57 PM
sensei.......
Thanks for the third star, Alan.  ;D  Got a couple DAM Quick, an Abu baitcaster, an old Pflueger direct drive baitcaster disguised as a Ted Williams, two more Daiwa spinners, and maybe even a couple of spincasters (which I know nothing about) to post in the near future.

Quote from: Ron Jones on January 31, 2020, 06:57:07 PM
Thank you for this,
I like what I see; especially that AR system, looks robust and well manufactured. I have a few of the silvers, I might look into one of these. Maybe thinner grease will let it spin easier?
The Man
Ron, I thought maybe taking it back apart and using replacing the Penn grease with Super Lube.  I'm satisfied with the results right now but it does no harm to experiment.  There is absolutely no feedback from the gears, definitely smooth, just a wee bit stiff.

xjchad

Great tutorial as always, and congrats on the Sensei status!!  8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Gfish

"Sensei Chester"!
Great look at this Diawa. I have a GS-3(?) that I posted on the "B reels" thread. This one looks like a better reel. The only thing I like better on the older 3(?) was the spring loaded fold down handle. Mine's a keeper...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: alantani on January 31, 2020, 06:51:57 PM
sensei.......

Congrats Chester! You deserve it buddy, you put a lot of work into these posts. I really like the looks of that reel...it's another one that's hard to pick on. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

Great work, Chester, and congrats of the 3rd Sensei title!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

Quote from: festus on January 31, 2020, 07:07:33 PM
Maybe thinner grease will let it spin easier?
Ron, I thought maybe taking it back apart and using replacing the Penn grease with Super Lube.  I'm satisfied with the results right now but it does no harm to experiment.  There is absolutely no feedback from the gears, definitely smooth, just a wee bit stiff.

Yes, Superlube will free it up a little bit. Also check "pinch points" like where the spool shaft(axle) passes through bearing areas, something may need burnished. I do something that saltwater folks frown on...but for freshwater fishing it doesn't cause me any grief at all. I don't grease the pinion and drive gear bearings. I use CorrosionX HD oil. The only set back is if one tiny grain of sand gets into the drive train you'll feel it. There is no "cushion effect" like you get with grease. I guess you could look at that like a warning light...the reel tells me when it needs service! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

PacRat

Congratulations Sensei! Before you swap out the Penn grease try just adding oil to key points. This will thin out the grease and you may be happy until your next service. Sometimes I'll do this to an old neglected reel just to help assess it and decide how much effort I feel like putting into it. I've had some crappy old reels feel like butter after this, the extra benefit is that the oil softens the old grease and makes it easier to remove when I get around to a full service. I started doing this when I first started doing spinners. I was using Penn grease on spotless, clean reels and they were feeling a little stiffer than expected (Smooth but stiff) so I started adding 321 in some key locations and the reel would start spinning like it should.

Midway Tommy

Congratulations Chester!  8) You've really dove into these tutorials, especially the Asian models.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Thanks for the good look.  Really diggin' that AR system; easy to operate and ahead of the gear train.

Go-go on the 3d star.

Frank

Donnyboat

Great work Chester, thanks for taking us along, nice clear pics & good details, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

philaroman

Quote from: mo65 on January 31, 2020, 10:46:14 PM
Quote from: festus on January 31, 2020, 07:07:33 PM
Maybe thinner grease will let it spin easier?
Ron, I thought maybe taking it back apart and using replacing the Penn grease with Super Lube.  I'm satisfied with the results right now but it does no harm to experiment.  There is absolutely no feedback from the gears, definitely smooth, just a wee bit stiff.

Yes, Superlube will free it up a little bit. Also check "pinch points" like where the spool shaft(axle) passes through bearing areas, something may need burnished...

roll the spool shaft around on a sheet of glass, to make sure its not minutely warped
polish/burnish the spool shaft below cross-bar & inside the pinion, 'til shiny

LOVE all the X changes from GS-13: handle, internal bail, removeable steel "Cam kick plate"
is (45,46) all you need to pop out for manual bail?
a better line roller away from A-grade...  B++  IMO
alloy main is grudgingly accepted, at this point  ::)
the