suveran

Started by farmer56, March 21, 2020, 12:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

farmer 56  here  ...    does  anybody  have  or  use  an  abu-garcia  suveran  reel  ?  thanks  farmer  out

mhc

Hi farmer 56, I've got a S1000M suveran - I haven't fished it so I don't have first hand experience as far as performance goes.

Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

Never heard of them.  A quick look at prices suggests I'll never have one either.  This was interesting:
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/suv4.html
-steve

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

The Suveran has been scarce on ebay until the last few weeks.  They're bringing around 200 bucks apiece.

Rancanfish

I have no idea if true, but, they have always looked unbalanced and ungainly to me.  What are the two serrated knobs doing?

Great engineering apparently.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

nelz

Quote from: Rancanfish on March 21, 2020, 04:23:12 PMI have no idea if true, but, they have always looked unbalanced and ungainly to me.

Ha-ha, I remember thinking that when they were available in stores. They looked too plasticky and yes, "unbalanced" with those funky wheels. Boy, now I wish I'd snatched up a couple!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Rancanfish on March 21, 2020, 04:23:12 PM
What are the two serrated knobs doing?

Great engineering apparently.

I assume, which I never like to do, that you are referring to the two plastic wheels. The one on the spool is for drag adjustment. That design is way less awkward and clumsy than a front of the spool adjustment. The one behind the rotor is for easy on and off anti-reverse.

Yes, great engineering! Many consider them to be the best, and highest quality, open face spinning reel ever made.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

farmer56

farmer 56 back  ...   reason  i  asked  ,  maybe  too  much  time  on  hand  waiting  for  spring  planting  season  ...  and  a  few  days  ago  i read  that  article  by  Alan Hawk ..  so  lo  and  behold  saw  a  abu-garcia  suveran    s1000m  on  the  evil-bay so  i  bought  it  ...  will  report  back  after  first  fish  caught  this  may  ..  farmer  out

Rivverrat

These reels are for some the Holy Grail of spinners. I dont share this sentiment. Though I think they are great reels... Jeff

festus

In the past 3-4 weeks there have been 15 or 16 Suverans sold on ebay.  Someone got a "bargain" on one of those for $93.77, an S2000M.  :o  They usually go for double or more.  Today there are about half a dozen on ebay.  They're asking $375 :o plus shipping buy it now for one mint S4000M with the box and accessories, spare spool, manual, and tube of grease.

I don't recall seeing one of these reels.  And I agree, they are awkward looking, but never really heard anything negative about their engineering.  The drag and anti-reverse adjustment knobs remind me of the the focus adjustment on my old Nikon D8 camera.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on March 21, 2020, 06:35:06 PM
In the past 3-4 weeks there have been 15 or 16 Suverans sold on ebay.  Someone got a "bargain" on one of those for $93.77, an S2000M.  :o  They usually go for double or more.  Today there are about half a dozen on ebay.  They're asking $375 :o plus shipping buy it now for one mint S4000M with the box and accessories, spare spool, manual, and tube of grease.

I don't recall seeing one of these reels.  And I agree, they are awkward looking, but never really heard anything negative about their engineering.  The drag and anti-reverse adjustment knobs remind me of the the focus adjustment on my old Nikon D8 camera.

In the eBay "reel" world, when the stock market tanks the desirable specimens start coming out of the woodwork. 2008 & 09 were prime examples, so be prepared.  ::) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Interesting reel -- and the engineering is exceptional, Dennis --

I have always thought that the concept of 4 different line capacity spools for the same reel was clever.

I know Alan Hawk through the years and also emails -- and have the utmost respect for his evaluations.

But another interesting thing, based on "reel" world experience -- why do manufacturers make key parts out of plastic?

Price and ease of manufacturing, I guess...

Case in point --

Restoring an old DAM Quick 440 reel for a client today.

While there are at least 18 or 20 parts on this reel that could have had plastic substituted for metals -- DQ chose to only make (3) parts out of plastic -- the spool, the crank knob, and a tiny black bail cover cap.

And...of these three parts made out of plastic -- after 50+ years, the plastic spool and cover cap did not survive.  Just the crank knob.

Any shortcut manufactured out of plastic on a reel -- will always fail sooner than the metal parts of the same reel.

???

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

farmer56

Fred ...   farmer  here   ..  you  are  spot  on ...  the  vintage  older  engineering   was  and  is  remarkable ...  both  my  two  sons  share  the   same  views  as  you ..  i  see them  eye-balling all  the  reels  you made  for  me ...  so  Fred  just  look  what  your  legacy  will  be  in  my  family  alone  ..  the  boys each  have their  favorites  picked  out  .. thanks  again     Dennis

foakes

Quote from: farmer56 on March 22, 2020, 04:07:55 PM
   Fred ...   farmer  here   ..  you  are  spot  on ...  the  vintage  older  engineering   was  and  is  remarkable ...  both  my  two  sons  share  the   same  views  as  you ..  i  see them  eye-balling all  the  reels  you made  for  me ...  so  Fred  just  look  what  your  legacy  will  be  in  my  family  alone  ..  the  boys each  have their  favorites  picked  out  .. thanks  again     Dennis

Right, Dennis --

But make them boys wait a long time for your reels.

Or make them get their own in the meantime.

We don't want you leaving any time soon!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.