Penn 114H second AR dog

Started by Alto Mare, November 29, 2011, 10:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Thanks for the kind words George, I'm just playing around with this stuff.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

I know that some of you have already seen my 6/0 WEX, but thanks to Lee ( Keta )  for coming through with the stainless steel dogs, I just brought it up a notch.

This is now officially the reel/tank big brother. Enjoy
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Squirmypug

Alto, you should send this reel to me for testing..to make sure none of the new parts fail.After a few years of "testing" I can send it back and let you know how it did.  ;D
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

redsetta

Great work Sal (and Lee) - looks like a cracker reel.
Nice pics too mate.
Gotta start on my Tiburon 114H some time soon, as soon as I can find a few spare minutes in the day!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

VW

OK, where do we get the SS dogs?

Alto Mare

VW, I wish I could help you out as you helped me in the past. These were a gift from Keta and are the only two I have.
I'm not sure if they're a test and if he will be making more. I'm hoping that Lee will be offering more, but I have no idea on how much work is involved on his part. I myself wouldn't mind paying 4/5 x more than the stock dogs. We'll see how that goes. Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: Squirmypug on February 28, 2012, 05:16:45 AM
Alto, you should send this reel to me for testing..to make sure none of the new parts fail.After a few years of "testing" I can send it back and let you know how it did.  ;D

Squirmypug, sorry I can't let you have this one, this  is my baby. If you did take it for a couple of years though, I'm sure that it would still look the same when you give it back ( it is a Penn afterall ). This model is not cheap to build, the WEX frame and spool alone cost @ $240. This is a serious fishing machine and I'm sure that you won't be getting any recall notice on this one ;). The gears are Penn stock gears and they are ss, the gear ratio  is 3.25:1 2.8:1. By the way, I'm a GC, here is a little example: when I hung wall cabinets and want to make sure that they stay up, I use coarse thread screws...not fine thread ;).I don't get too excited about high speed gears. Sal

BMITCH

I hope that he does make more. I could use a couple for the upgrade. Another question I have is, are there any SS gears available for the 114H? I'm going to order the SS pinion shaft from Electra- mate. This seems like a nice upgrade. I was hoping I might be able to get some assistance with finding SS gears for this

Thank, Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Bob, I've been looking for a long time now for  3.25:1 Accurate gears and still haven't had any luck. I see them on eBay every now and then, but can't justify paying close to $200 for them. There has been a lot of discussions here about the accurate gears, but no one has stepped up to the plate yet. If you purchase a used Penn 114H, there is a good chance that you will find the Penn ss gears.
Sal

BMITCH

So the new ones you can order through Penn are brass? Seems to me to be counter productive???

Bob

Keta

Nice work Sal.

Quote from: VW on February 28, 2012, 05:58:28 AM
OK, where do we get the SS dogs?

Another small batch of 113H dogs are being water cut this week, the 114H dogs are hand made for now and take 30-45 min each to finish.  I'm not selling any SS dogs yet but I'm considering having a larger run made.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Please let me know if these become available for both the 113H & 114H

Bob

Keta

The 114H dogs started as a hand made payback for a very generous person.  I use Wilderness Pack Specialties shop and some of his tools when my shop is too cold to work in and the owner told me to send them over and get some water cut at another busness in town.  Now it looks like there is some interest in SS dogs and they are easy to make once the drawing is made.  A small number of 113H dogs will be available later in the week, I'll try to get a drawing made up for 114H dogs and get them water cut.  Jigmaster and Surfmaster dogs are next.

I have a heavy industrial maintenance/construction background not marketing, would these sell for $2.00 ea?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

SOLD!!! I would like 4 of the dogs for the 113H and the same for the 114H, when available. Just let me know where to send payment to and shipping. You can PM me if you would like. Your definitely feeding the tinkering addiction that my wife has stated I'm prone too.

THANKS!!!!!

Bob

Irish Jigger

Great product and good value at $2. Stand by for some orders. ;D