Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the plate you have was designed to swing right or left!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Would a flat spring work for the new dog?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

it should.  it worked on the 114h .....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Ok, this is what I came up with and its working just fine.

You will need to notch the bottom part also, so that the spring can hold tension. You will also need to file down the new dog, I used a flat file and it's no biggie. Everything is working as it should, again this is only for the plates that you're able to switch from right to left.
I'm customizing another reel trying something different. I let you know how that goes.
PS I had about two dozen springs go out of orbit on me ;D...Take your time!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Sal, you're a freakin' genius. You should be a design engineer for Penn, but not in China!

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Irish Jigger

Quote from: norcal pescador on December 04, 2011, 04:23:40 PM
Sal, you're a freakin' genius. You should be a design engineer for Penn, but not in China!

Rob

Well said Rob. ;D

Alto Mare

No genius here, Rob and Jigger....just playing around with this stuff. I didn't really take my time on the shaving, I was just trying to find a way to make it work. I'm sure you guys get the idea and will be able to do a cleaner job. about those stainless steel dogs, I only have two and are going in my personal tank....I mean reel. We should get someone to make some for us :-\
Rob, wait untill you see how lucky I got on a used reel that I purchased for $56 ;). It's about time, I usually get screwed...but most of the times I shop for parts.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 04, 2011, 04:46:15 PM
.....about those stainless steel dogs, I only have two and are going in my personal tank....I mean reel. We should get someone to make some for us

Rob, wait untill you see how lucky I got on a used reel that I purchased for $56 ;). It's about time, I usually get screwed...but most of the times I shop for parts.

I think SS dogs could be cut using a water jet cutter.

Sometimes you win sometimes you loose when online bidding. Over all I've come out well, one poorly represented item (not the same as in photo or discription) and the rest of the "bad buys" due mostly to me.  I get Penn reels at a deep discount now but before I fell into this deal I picked up a NIB Penn 70 for $399+ shipping.  I didn't need a third one but I watched it for a week and no one bid on it, at the last minute my fingers hit the keys and I ended up with it.  The 80lb hollow JB I filled it with was almost 1/2 of the price I paid for the reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Are the 113hn dogs stainless steel?

George4741

Quote from: Irish Jigger on December 04, 2011, 05:52:40 PM
Are the 113hn dogs stainless steel?
If you mean the Baja Special, YES!  But I don't think they will fit the other Senators.

Alto Mare,
I think you've created a monster here and you are going to have a group of cult followers; me being one of them.  ;D  I'm looking at my reels now and deciding on which ones I want to try this mod.   

George
viurem lliures o morirem

broadway

Nice solution, Sal.  Just to be clear, that is a 113h dog that you filed? ...it looks bigger (bet you heard that before;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, it's a 113H dog. It's probably a good idea to use a flat spring form a 114H, I used a smaller one. I had planty of the others, but a lot of them went flying. I have a small workbench in the loundry room and sometimes my wife has clothes  on the floor, near my bench. I'm hoping that some of those springs didn't get jammed in some underwears  ;D. she's already complaning about all the crap that I have lying around.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 04, 2011, 10:14:35 PM
she's already complaining about all the crap that I have lying around.
Sal:  you are talking about in your underwear? ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on December 04, 2011, 05:16:54 PM
I think SS dogs could be cut using a water jet cutter.

I think you're right, Keta.
A water jet cutter would do a nice job on those dogs, have you looked at Alans wrench? I think That wrench was cut with a water jet cutter, and it's way more detailed than the dogs.
Come to think of it, Alan, don't I get a wrench for having 3 photo of the month in one month? ;D Just kidding, Alan we should be sending you stuff for. Thanks for putting up with us.