Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishit 2

Just picked up a 113H - I will be converting it to LH retrieve and was wondering if anyone makes a left hand SS gear sleeve(Alan is probably tired of me asking for a SS sleeve for every Penn reel!)Do you guys use a delrin washer under the main gear or do you stick with the 113 CF?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Alto Mare

Fishit, as you could see from the date this thread was started by me 3 1/2 years ago, a few things have been happening since then.
Personally I would only use a Delrin washer for under the main gear, I do it to all my reels. To me it isn't personal preference, I strongly believe it's a better choice.
Recently, I had a conversation with Alan Chui ( Black Pearl ),  the stainless steel double dog bridge and second generation ss gears ( similar to the penn versa drag ) should be available soon. These upgrades will be nice.

Did you check with Alan Tani on the left hand ss sleeve? If he doesn't have it, it won't be easy for you to find one.
Shoot him an email, I can assure you he doesn't mind.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Fishit 2

Thanks Sal, your advice is always appreciated, I didn't notice if Scott's sells the delrin washer, I'm getting the conversion kit from them and was going to get new washers from them as well(was hoping to save on shipping) or should I order washers from Dawn at smoothdrag? If I remember she sells delrin washers?
Thanks again
Not sure if I asked already it I'm wondering if the Penn factory in Philly has these parts as well? I work in Philly about 10 minutes away from the factory, I'll have to give them a call after the holidays.
Mike

Fishit 2

You got to love flea-bay, I bought a 113H half frame, what I got instead is a 113H with Newell bars(no Penn base) and when I took the star off the drag washers came out - is this the easy access drag compartment?  I already order the HT-100's from SCotts along with the left hand conversion parts, now I'm not sure if this reel is reversible and I'm hoping I won't have to buy a new side plate to do this conversion. The reel came with the old drag washers and also part 136 that looks like a hat - do I use this part with the new drag kit?

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/73826268@N04/18263546931/

Shark Hunter

You can resuse that top hat collar with the felt washer if you want to. The newer ones have a spacer and a tension spring. It will work either way.
Life is Good!

Fishit 2

More problems with this reel, this is the third Penn reel I have attempted to convert to LH - the others were a Squidder and Jigmaster and all have failed because the parts just don't want to work together. This is my fault though, the Fleabay seller told me this side plate was reverseable and like everything else he told me his info was wrong. I now have to buy a LH plate from Scotts and the star wheel they sent me today is a right hand wheel 10-321 not a 10-321LH.

With all the money I have spent(wasted)trying to build a mini tank in LH retrieve from old Penn reels I could have bought two new LH Alutecnos reels, very frustrating to say the least.

Alto Mare

Mike, I checked for you and I don't have a  plate as this one:
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/pescatore1/Picture1619.jpg
I wonder if the ss double dog bridge from Black Pearl might work for you. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Fishit 2

Yeah that's the type I need, I'm probably better off buying the standard LH 113H plate since it will probably be oriented correctly(gear box closer to seat vs further away on the reversible plate).

I'm wondering if the dog was meant to simply be flipped and used on the opposite side or is there a LH and RH dog like the squidder has? Thanks for all your suggestions.

broadway

Fishit,
   I'm a lefty and what you are trying to do (mini tank) is impossible. There are no SS gear sleeves or ss gears for lefties, nor anything else needed to make a tank of any kind.
I wish it could happen, but luckily I'm ambidextrous at most things.  That's my best advice to you... become a righty. ;)
Best of luck,
Dom

Three se7ens

Doesnt alan have bunch of stainless gear sleeves that were cut as left hand ones by mistake?

broadway

Adam,
   He might... I do remember something about that now that you mention it, but to me it's not worth it without the gears. I'm in for 6 sets if anyone comes out with them ;)
Thanks
Dom

Three se7ens

nevermind, they were for the 6/0 and 9/0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12953.0

On a side note, I can do the stainless drag stars in left hand for the 113H.  The taps are readily available, so it wouldnt be a big deal.

Why are the gears different for left handed reels?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Three se7ens on May 31, 2015, 04:10:46 AM
Why are the gears different for left handed reels?
The pitch of the gears will pull the pinion towards the spool so the yoke springs do not have to be very strong.  If you use right hand gears on a left handed reel, during hard cranking, the pinion gear will pull away from the spool disengaging the pinion gear from the yoke because the springs will not be strong enough to counter the force from the pinion gear being pushed away.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fishit 2

I'm ready to use the right hand sleeve - maybe I can just use it with the star turned n the opposite direction? I'm right handed and crank all reels left handed, I rather fight a fish and work a lure with my dominant arm, I just can't get used to cranking with my stronger right hand and trying to work the reel with my left is very awkward - I'm convinced that conventional reels are not as popular as spinners because of this dilema - it just doesn't make sense to me that guys crank spinners with their weaker hand and crank a convench with the stronger - I can see the other way around?

Ok I found out what the problem is, Scotts sent me a left hand ratchet but the gear sleeve has right hand threads - do I use it this way or should I try to find a left thread sleeve? If I keep the sleeve this way I can use the SS sleeve, I don't care which way the star turns as long as its fish able and its a true right hand reel(LH retrieve). How hard would it be to cut this side plate so I can put the dog in the correct space? The only cutting tool I have is a dremel, not sure if it's tough enough to cut this material?

Fishit 2

Couldn't exit my last post, since I have to buy a new convertible/LH plate with space for the dog on either side - would it be worth it to double dog this reel using the brass gears? It's too bad I have to junk the original steel gears and replace them with the new brass one but I guess I have to sacrifice some strength in order to use this reel with a LH crank?