Tycoon 1000 restoration

Started by Cuttyhunker, June 05, 2020, 03:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Cuttyhunker
I wouldn't just give that rod to a modern rod building shop if you want it right it needs to go to someone who knows and has done over antique rods before or it will come out looking like a new bamboo rod. There is an art to keeping them looking old and original ! Do some homework before you get it done !! Original decals of that era are difficult to reproduce accurately.  John Taylor

oldmanjoe

Thank you for the guide pictures ..     Looking at them reminds me of the erector set we had as kids !!
   :)   Yes i have made a few of each of the horizontal , vertical   and hor/ver .

My upbringing was you  fixed or made the part to make it work again.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on June 06, 2020, 09:03:34 PM
salesman's cross sectional sample
That's a treasure and really interesting too.  Chris, I'll look for the double-built thing again. 
-steve

Cuttyhunker

John,
Thank you, and I get it.  One of the reasons I was looking at this one particular shop is a local fishing forum thread indicated they have "a guy" for the old stuff, and this shop, being in the business so long would pretty much know all the players in the niche for a referral if I chose to look elsewhere.  I've been perusing old threads here and elsewhere on bamboo restoration so I can be at least a minimally informed consumer when I do pull the trigger, so all input is welcomed.  The rod has been screwed up for decades so a few months doing the research won't make anything worse.
Bob
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

Steve, This one popped up on Boston CL "Antique Double Built Bamboo Fishing Pole - $25" looks like a swiveling tip.  Would this be the double layered construction you mentioned
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

Forgot the pics ???
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

They didn't post the way they looked in my screen, seems to have no handle and look at the bottom one for "Double Built", poster said it was a South Bend.  I guess when you right click the expanded thumbs Craig's only gives you what shows in the small thumbnail. Need to use a screenshot capture with these guys.
Doomed from childhood

oc1

I'm sure that's it Bob.  If you could see a double-built rod in cross-section it would look like a normal split cane rod made of six triangular pieces, all encapsulated in a ring of six trapezoid pieces.  To make a large diameter rod they had to do it in two layers because the wall of Tonkin cane is not thick enough to do in all one layer.  I have some illustrations and such here somewhere, but this place is a mess.

That rod from CL has a beautiful rattan fore-grip.  I've tied making those but they never looks as neat and tight as that.
-steve

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood

oc1

"Double-Built" is more of a process than a model.  The handle could be replaced easily enough if it still had the reel seat.  Still, for $25....?
-steve

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on June 09, 2020, 01:05:58 PM
"Double-Built" is more of a process than a model. 
-steve
Exactly  ,   You are removing the enamel and the pith just to harvest the power fibers , than you glue them together to make a beam
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Cuttyhunker

Made the trek to the local rod shop yesterday to pick up a replacement for a busted guide on a St Croix spinner that I picked up in a trade last year and test the waters on the Tycoon job.  They were busy, had half a dozen big tuna rods at about 500 a pop on the slow rollers behind the counter with 4 or 5 guys working there.  The report that they had "a guy" for restoration was a fantasy, and the best I could get was an obtuse referral to a fly rod shop in Marlborough Mass from one guy and NAAAHHH from the other I tried to approach if he knew of a restorer.  I'll google up the fly shop, anyone know of it on here?

The ferrule is frozen so I'm mixing up a little 50/50 ATF and Acetone to put a few drops on daily for a while to see if it'll release. It's worked on some of my old stuff when the ice treatment was a failure.  The cork on the rod side is broken around the circumference less that a half inch above the ferrule and can wiggle the rod section just a tiny bit.  I don't want to out the bamboo out rather than coming apart as it should.

Thanks too all for the input and the helpful PM's
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

It's been over a year but something popped up in my "Get to it later" pile of rods in a corner, a WATSON DOUBLE BILT, about 7' hex with 2 guides and the tip, one guide okay ,one broken, the tip top long lost.   The original thread work was bright red.  The tip is quite close to the next guide, about 7" like the Tycoon 1000.  Is that a bamboo boat rod thing as the bamboo casters I have seem to have a "normal" spread.

I found a guy I'm comfortable with to restore the Tycoon, a tiny cellar shop, advertises himself as a fly rod guy, but seems to have the inventory to handle about anything.  Like the late "Droppedit" Dave to whom John Taylor was gracious enough to introduce me to only a few months prior to Dave's being taken by a particularly
aggressive cancer.  My new guy Ray is definitely cut from the same cloth, and not quite so sure that the 60's are quite over yet.  The Tycoon is in his hospital as I type, expect it back in 3 or 4 weeks

Doomed from childhood

54bullseye

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on June 06, 2020, 09:03:34 PM
Doing Tycoon research I found this on Ed Pritchard's site, a salesman's cross sectional sample display of Tycoon rods, he has, as you would expect, a bunch of additional Tycoon info.
That Tycoon board has a new home !!!! In Mass  LOL !!   John Taylor

Cuttyhunker

Bullseye,
Dave Turner mentioned in an earlier post on this thread using an ALPS printer for duplicating decals.  I've attached a small article about doing just that for a different application than rods you may find interesting.

Reelytyme (Randy) here in Crystal River FL has hooked me up with Joe Castiglio in Leesburg to restore the Tycoon. I'll post some after pics when I get the old girl back
Doomed from childhood