Torium 20 drag?

Started by captscott, June 07, 2020, 03:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captscott

Hey guys, I have a pair of 1st gen torium 20s, that I primarily use for tarpon fishing. I have torn them down several times. Alan hooked me up years ago with the Trinidad spring and pawl upgrade, and I also installed carbontex drag washers. Recently I've been experiencing a problem with the drags on both reels,  but one in particular. The drags are getting weaker I rebuilt them this spring. Cleaned and regreased the drags, even bought new belleville washers, to no avail. In fact the weakest of the two, is unusable at only 5lbs of drag or so locked down. Do carbontex drag washers wear out? Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem? I'm considering just picking up a few new reels, but thought I'd ask here first. Thanks!!

boon

My Torium 16 and 20 would make 20lb+ drag without too much effort. I would pull the drag stack apart and make sure everything is nesting into the gear correctly and that the eared washers still have their ears.

alantani

carbon fiber never wears out.  you don't have braid that is slipping on the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

captscott

No, I did respool them with fresh braid, but covered the bottom of the spool with 30lb mono before tying in the new braid.

I'm 100% sure I assembled the drag stack properly with schematic in hand...is it possible to over grease the drags? I used just enough to cover both sides of each drag washer???

josa1

Could it possibly be the anti reverse bearing?  Sounds like it to me.

josa1

boon

Quote from: josa1 on June 08, 2020, 03:17:38 AM
Could it possibly be the anti reverse bearing?  Sounds like it to me.

josa1

I thought that too, the ARB on these isn't that strong, and if something went wrong with the sprung dog conversion that would do it. But then the handle would go backwards, surely? Which would make it an easy one to diagnose.

alantani

ok, then there is one last thing.  there is a carbontex drag under the main gear.  at the beginning, it was just a hair too thin and would not allow you to get full drag out of the reel.  it's possible that the drag washers has become compressed and now the problem is worse.  one option would be to get one of the new drag washers that smooth drag now uses.  what i used to use was the penn ht-100 #6-113h.  that did the trick.  if you have one available, give it a try. 

if needed, i can drop them into the mail to you.  send me a pm and let me know. 

handi2

Another thought. Remove the handle, drag star, and bellvilles off the reel. Look and see how far the inner sleeve protrudes above the clutch bearing. If its just a tiny bit I add bearing thrust washers to the top of the inner sleeve.

Once the inner sleeve is pushed flush with the clutch bearing that all the drag you can get.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

captscott

Quote from: alantani on June 08, 2020, 03:04:21 PM
ok, then there is one last thing.  there is a carbontex drag under the main gear.  at the beginning, it was just a hair too thin and would not allow you to get full drag out of the reel.  it's possible that the drag washers has become compressed and now the problem is worse.  one option would be to get one of the new drag washers that smooth drag now uses.  what i used to use was the penn ht-100 #6-113h.  that did the trick.  if you have one available, give it a try. 

if needed, i can drop them into the mail to you.  send me a pm and let me know. 

That makes a lot of sense. I must admit,  as much as I try to remember to back the drags off I have occasionally forgotten and left them tightened for a while. I will send you a pm Alan thank you for the very generous offer.

Handi thanks for that suggestion will check that when I pull them apart. Thanks to all for your suggestions I appreciate it!!

captscott

Alan I sent you a pm, not sure if it went thru. Can you confirm?

alantani

got it.  the drag washers are greased and in the mail!!!

captscott

Fantastic!! Thanks Alan.

captscott

Just an update guys. The thicker washer under the stack did the trick. Went from 4lbs of drag to just below 18lbs. Thank you all for your suggestions, and a special thank you to Alan for the washers!! Cant wait to get some baits in the water with these!!! Happy fishing guys.

alantani

it was a problem that we found with the first sets of carbontex drag sets for the torium's.  that problem must have been fixed, because i now use the currently available full sets and have no problems. 

Realfunone

My friend last week had issues with his torium 16 hg. The drag pressure kept backing off while fighting a bft.40 lb. I'm going to take it apart to find the problem. It's only been used a few times and never been opened up. What is causing the drags to back off?
I just opened up the reel. I don't see anything that isnt normal. The belvilles look ok but thin. Should I replace all the drag washers as Alan mentioned? This is a left handed model. I don't think that matters?