Newer Shimano budget ultralight review and teardown FX1000FC

Started by The Fishing Hobby, July 28, 2020, 10:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

yes, if pinion is separate w/ individual part# -- it's brass
but don't assume that's true for every FX model, just because it's true for 1000FC
FX-1000FA appears to have alloy permanently peened to plastic rotor:
http://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/FX%20Series/SHIMANO%20FX1000FA(2003).pdf

Gfish

Great video. Very informative on the lower-end Shimano spinners. You got the narration streamlined and easy to understand. Not for me with my big clumsy hands, but yeah, well worth the price. Always liked the way Shimano's use that top to bottom post for the ossilation system. I can see this class of reels as something to leave in my vehicle as part of a "just in case" rig.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

thanks for the video amigo, its nice to know its based on the "more expesive" brother Sienna, well almost the same reel but one bearing less, I think I can live with that.

recently a new friend (walking-in customer but after few hours talking about fishing all customer become friends) left me some Daiwa saltist reels for repair and few weeks later when they were repaired he gave me a Shimano FX 2500 HGFC as gift, he ordered online and used it two times, the told me he found it too small for his big hands so, he ordered a 4000 size one.

One of my light saltwater reels is a Shimano Sonora 2500FA that I have been using since 2009 (yay!!) and while its not as smooth as it used to be its still in pretty good shape, I have it loaded with 6# hybrid floro-monofilament and its paired on a 10ft salmon rod 3/4oz lure.
so, this FX2500HGFC will be its companion for when I feel like going for light fishing from the shore.
The Baja Guy

MarkT

I've always drawn the line at the Sahara with Shimano spinners. I'm standing by that!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

nelz

It's not high-end but it definitely exceeds expectations for its $20 price tag!

MarkT

Quote from: nelz on February 28, 2023, 03:29:04 AMIt's not high-end but it definitely exceeds expectations for its $20 price tag!

I can say the same for lunch today!

I have 3 Abu Cardinal ultra-lites that I much prefer over the Shimano/Daiwa equivalents for fishing 2 and 4 pound for Trout!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on February 28, 2023, 03:39:21 AMI can say the same for lunch today!

I think its a goood thing we can get a decent fishing reel for less than what we spend for a dinner.
not everybody cup of tea but many will value that

The Baja Guy