Coffee Can Rod

Started by Bill B, August 18, 2020, 12:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

We all have received a reel the owner took apart and could not reassemble, so they throw it in a coffee can.  Well I received a coffee can rod from a friend.  He didn't know what to do with it so he brought it to me.  I'm not familiar with the old wooden/cane poles, but this is a PlyFlex Sportsmen Accessories Inc NY, #51.  Measures 57" tip to butt.  After scrapping the checked varnish off in a small area the rod appears to be wood with very straight grain.  The guides look hand made and VERY slightly magnetic. One curious thing is what appears to be a steel pin punched through the rod about 8.5" up from the fore grip.  I wil enjoy restoring this rod and will fish it once just to say it has caught a fish. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oldmanjoe

:)   That should clean real good .  Love fishing with old sticks . 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

nice looking forward to the restore pics, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Could the pin be a nail? looks like a crack there and the thread is binding it together. Maybe split bamboo from looking at the grain but I can't see any lines from the nodes.  Fun project!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Sheridan no nodes that would indicate bamboo.  The pin has the same diameter and look on each side, but I agree the wrapping looks like it is stopping a split.  I will have to wait for cooler weather before I refinish it. It's been in the upper 90's and low 100's last week and this week looks to be the same......might be time for a fishing trip out of Santa Barbara...😉  Bill

oc1

It's split bamboo Bill.  They plane out six triangular strips and glue them together.  T

he pin may have been an attempt to repair delamination at the glue line(s).  But, they botched the job and probably made it worse.  It doesn't look like it will hold. 

If you fish with it, try not to catch anything.  You could try double wrapping that damaged area and then wetting out the thread with a coat of epoxy.  In your climate the whole rod may have dried out though and be too weak to fish with.
-s

oldmanjoe

AH  .... that may be all wood Laminated stick . I need to do a little digging .
I have to ask my brothers if they sill have one or all 3 that we had as kids .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Found a old ad .  still looking for the company history for the rod part,
They made long bows

oldmanjoe

Bill try shaking the stick , you may hear a steel rod bouncing around .
   The pin may be the stake to keep the steel rod from going toward the top ,

Dominick

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 18, 2020, 02:59:28 PM
  Bill try shaking the stick , you may hear a steel rod bouncing around .
   The pin may be the stake to keep the steel rod from going toward the top ,

interesting...Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

"Cool Beans", Bill. Hope you get one on it and it don't bust. Then you'ed have a nice wall hanger. Least a guy could do is drill a pilot hole, then maybe use a tiny ss wood screw and some glue.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

Joe "nailed" it.  Shook the rod and no rattling, but sanded the old glue from the bottom of the rod top and bingo there is a rod right up the middle.  Took a magnet to it, but non-magnetic.  Bill

oldmanjoe

oc1

Wow, good call Joe.  It is square, not hexagonal.  Just like the rods you made.
-steve

oldmanjoe

The one Bill has is hexagonal , The bigger one `s changed shape to more of a D .