Boat - Electrical Issues

Started by Gobi King, September 25, 2020, 02:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I have a 2016 crestliner, I took back to the place I bought i from to get sonar installed and onboard battery charger, the fine guys at the dealership flipped up the job the first time and had to take it back to get it corrected.

Fast forward a year plus.

Last time I took the boat out I forgot to hook up the dash power cable, doh.

This time with dash power cable connected here are the issues:

1. No horn
2. no bilge power (worried)
3. Sonar has power
4. Speedo does not work
5. Front light works
6. Nav lights - will check tomorrow early morning.

Setup:
Power from battery comes over to under the dash to a bus (photo coming soon)
I am pretty there is a fuse box there.

The wiring harness seems to a standard crestliner harness with speaker cables in it also, (my boat does not have a stereo).

I am not sure how I will figure out which one is the horn and other accessory power cables.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Brewcrafter

Doggone it Shibly!  I really thought after finding the loose wire that everything was going to "shipshape".  I am hoping that you will find some blown fuses in the fuse panel...
Failing that...hopefully a loose or bad ground?  I know you want to get out there before the season is over so let's get this figured out! - john

oc1

Quote from: Gobi King on September 25, 2020, 02:41:45 AM

I am not how I will figure out which one is the horn and other accessory power cables.

With a VOM, a piece of wire and some alligator clips you can check connectivity from each accessory to the fuse box.
-steve

foakes

I would take it to another good local shop that specializes in Marine electronics.

Any experienced marine electronics shop can troubleshoot These issues quickly and easily.

Get it fixed right and go fishing!

Yes, you can eventually do it yourself, but...

How much time, frustration, fuel, and lost fishing time are you willing to lose?  Not to mention the peace of mind in having a solid shop check out your electrical systems for both safety and operation.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Shibs, google marine wiring code. not sure what accessories you have on that block but possibly the horn will be coded differently- bilge is brown, speakers gray, etc. Accessories in general have their own color code but it may be helpful and at least you learned some info at the end game. Good luck!

Wompus Cat

GOOD PLACE TO START and Not Hard to Do

# 1. Always insure that the wires at the Battery/Batteries are   Clean by separating each one  and visually inspecting them for a bright shine look. Many times accessories are wired in to the terminals on the battery separately from the Main cable .
If no go then Disconnect the positive cable on Battery then
Find the Fuse panel .
Remove fuses one at a time clean and inspect them for continuity  as well as clean the edges where the fuse goes back in slots or prongs . I use this (https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1D262_AS01?hei=536&wid=536&$adapimg$=)to clean my electrical stuff of course with the battery disconnected or power plug removed  from outlet on house hold stuffs
Corrosion is a Boats and Auto worst nightmare and can happen overnight and always happens when stored long periods of time .
Also look for a main Ground Terminal or block to which things may be connected and insure that is clean.
Generally this will take care of things and then if you are not going to use the boat for a long time disconnecting the battery will help with corrosion build up (not stop it) but help .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Long Enuff

Speedometer may not be electrical at all. There is a tiny hole on the foot of my Yamaha 250 outboard, forward end, that allows water pressure to send a signal to the speedometer. It has a tendency to get clogged up.  Check out the video.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrJ61UwAm5fYTwAOSVXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3BpdnM-?p=yamaha+speedometer+not+working&fr2=piv-web&fr=yset_chr_syc_hp-s#id=9&vid=3c2fd3ad0104d3787dacfe7737180ae6&action=view

thorhammer

Quote from: Long Enuff on September 25, 2020, 02:46:32 PM
Speedometer may not be electrical at all. There is a tiny hole on the foot of my Yamaha 250 outboard, forward end, that allows water pressure to send a signal to the speedometer. It has a tendency to get clogged up.  Check out the video.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrJ61UwAm5fYTwAOSVXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3BpdnM-?p=yamaha+speedometer+not+working&fr2=piv-web&fr=yset_chr_syc_hp-s#id=9&vid=3c2fd3ad0104d3787dacfe7737180ae6&action=view

yep

Gobi King

Good Info on the speedo pressure thing, I will go and check it right now.

Here are the pics of the bus with fuses.

I am grabbing my multi meter to check voltage.

FYI:
the ground wire marked A in red is the fishfinder ground, this was barely hanging on to the spade as it was pushed it and holding between plastic and metal part. I removed it and pushed it in properly.
Fichigan

Gobi King

Fichigan

Gobi King

thanks guys, I looked up the wiring color guide, and have my multi meter to do some investigating

Fred, unfortunately the shop which did the work is nearly an hour away, plus with covid, all the marine shops are 30 to 40 days in back log.  I hear on  peace of mind part, hence looked around for a reputable company and one that I store my boat at in winter is a good place but they are super busy with post season stuff already scheduled.
Fichigan

Gobi King

12 v power at horn switch confirmed, need another pair of hand to test the switch and power at horn.

I was going to check the ohms on the horn but my hb multi meter was acting up for ohms.

found hole on mercury for speedo, short screw driver did not find any clog, I will attempt to  clean it with a longer drill bit.

Nav lights works.

No corrosion here, boat is nearly new, used only 20 hours or so
Fichigan

Brewcrafter

Shibs - In your photo of the fuse block it looks like you have leads coming off of terminals that do not have fuses in them (depth finder?).  Fred is right about letting someone that knows more about wiring than me look at it  :D but maybe we can help you on the Zoom call tomorrow - I know Lee is a wizard with electrical. - john

milne

Hi Gobi,
           Sorry your having wiring issues.
I'm near finished wiring my boat after a rebuild, it was an untraceble mess previously.
Unless someone knows how it is all wired up, what your doing is the correct process.
I didn't colour code wire, but I made everything neat, easy to access and follow should a problem occur, specially on the Water.
Keep checking all circuits and all connections, if any are heat shrinked, it may require re doing them.
Look for in line fuses on electrical items, that you may have fused as well at the junction.

Just a case of checking everything, loose Neg/Pos wire from the main feed from the battery, that can always cause issues...

Good luck, let us know what you find

Col