Main Menu

Fact oar Fiction?

Started by gstours, November 11, 2020, 01:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Seems like hype advertising like how you can live forever.??    Butt let's be real,   If an octopus 🐙 is an often preyed on little person it needs an escape vehicle 🚗.    Right ?
  I saw this jig recently in a store and had to know more.  It's marketing is a nice box,  clever printing outside, and claims that the ink pills mimic actual inking,  this seems to be the defense mechanism of fleeing for the little buggers.   It's marketed as the "Inkvader ".   As a twenty spot,  I,m here to do some show n tell.   Unlike politics I don't expect much......... :-X

gstours

These are available in several sizes and colors.  Maybe good for calm water.

gstours

Seems well made.

gstours

The hooks look good,  I wish I could try it tomorrow. 

gstours

This Thing is weight backwards?  To me as experts have said,   It's another flutter sit level type of jig,   Perfect for shallow water or slack current,  it a jig you can buy,  I,m planning on trying it.
   You never know.🧜‍♂️   I wish there was more daylight,   And less darkness...... ;)

David Hall

I'd try it but I lose so many those 20 spots get expensive. Yep the daylight schedule is driving me nuts, the only thing zi can do is ditch work and go crabbing tomorrow, then I'm gonna ditch work Thursday and go hang out with my dentist for a couple hours, then I'm gonna ditch work Friday to attend a family event in the high country, will be visiting Portola until Sunday.  Then I'm gonna come home and maybe ditch work a couple more days and rest up because I plan on being tired.

jurelometer

With the weight positioned where it is, the jig will only work head up and legs down like an octopus on a pogo stick. Not to many octos escape by swimming vertically  ???  The extra ring/eye won't change the hang angle much, so not sure what the point is.  Not streamlined for the drop.   But it will smoke like a Christmas model train set for a few minutes after the drop :)

Not promising from a design standpoint, but you never know what the fish might see in it.    Glad to see that you are taking another one for the team :)

-J

oc1

Gary, what makes it squirt ink?
-steve

Cor

The thing has a very realistic Okkie look, will fool me if I see it in a shallow pool.   I am sure a fish will nail it quickly without having a good look, "catch first then check if its edible" before it gets away.   Only then the fish will go "oops" big mistake ;D ;D ;D
Cornelis

Wompus Cat

Some Lures catch more than Just Fish.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

philaroman

Mustad Ink Refills: $6
Mont Blanc Ink Refills: $8
well, yeah -- the upkeep for world's most prestigious fountain pen,
should cost a bit more, than for a fad lure

like the components, though, aside from "black box"
will be looking for $4.99 clearance, years from now
hope the ok will still be OK -- not dry-rotted

Cor

Cornelis

the rockfish ninja

interesting idea.

I looked it up and saw a demo on it, not sure it looks or functions like the real thing, but you're future reports on it's effectiveness will give us the reality. Keep us posted.

Real octopus ink

Lure demo (demo starts at 7:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-HUrdCHKo&feature=emb_title

I don't think this guy loaded it correctly though, he's shaking it around like a maraca and only a whisp of ink. ???

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

jurelometer

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on November 11, 2020, 09:59:47 PM
interesting idea.

I looked it up and saw a demo on it, not sure it looks or functions like the real thing, but you're future reports on it's effectiveness will give us the reality. Keep us posted.

Real octopus ink

[snip]

Lure demo (demo starts at 7:45)

[snip]

I don't think this guy loaded it correctly though, he's shaking it around like a maraca and only a whisp of ink. ???

Mustad 's own  video ( not included in your links)  shows the same thing.  If the ink shot out in a big cloud, it would not last very long.   Plus it would do what an octopus ink cloud is supposed to do, which is obscure the octopus, making it hard for the predator  to find :)

In a real life octopus,  the ink is mixed with mucous that will hold it together in a dense, tight cloud that is blown out with  a jet of water.  The octopus can blow a big load to obscure itself, or it can blow off several small loads, confusing the predator over which shape is actually the target, kind of like those anti-missile aircraft defenses that blast out clouds of aluminum bits.  Pretty cool.  

This lure is just adding some black dye to some scent.  Bet it makes a mess in the boat.

As for the Mustad ink tablet function: it appears to me that it is functioning exactly as designed: an attractant to separate fishermen from their money  :D. Just like Gary said.

-J.

philaroman

wonder if the ink tabs could be swapped for denture cleaner

$6 for 10 good laughs -- now THAT's a bargain :o