Fact oar Fiction?

Started by gstours, November 11, 2020, 01:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: philaroman on November 12, 2020, 12:51:40 AM
wonder if the ink tabs could be swapped for denture cleaner

$6 for 10 good laughs -- now THAT's a bargain :o

:D :D :D :D :D

Somewhere in the Alaskan wilderness, a fisherman with black teeth lowers a fizzing octopus into the briny depths...

Maxed Out

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

gstours

Thanks for your responses,  and there's more.....  shown below are a couple of the ink tablets that are said to have some scent as well.   I was going to put some in the bathtub tonight butt that got vetoed so I still don't know how they work.🤦‍♀️
  I dis manteled the lure and when it's naked it's kinda sorry looking,  like a wet shrew.

gstours

As for the silicone body and skirt,  they seem very lifelike and I'd love to have a dozen of these and put them over a jig of mine oar Dave's computer designs.    If anyone can help me with information to this quest I'd be grateful.   Just the octopus 🐙 body in the largest size available...... :-*

Dominick

Powdered squid ink is available in some grocery stores.  It is used in cooking.  Rice cooked with squid and squid ink is a very fine dish.  I sometimes I take the ink sack out of squid and mix it with hot water and garlic and olive oil to mix in with the rice water.  Great dish.  Alex probably has it in Mexico.  It's made in all the Latin countries.  Calamari en su Tinta.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Quote from: gstours on November 12, 2020, 02:42:40 AM
As for the silicone body and skirt,  they seem very lifelike and I'd love to have a dozen of these and put them over a jig of mine oar Dave's computer designs.    If anyone can help me with information to this quest I'd be grateful.   Just the octopus 🐙 body in the largest size available...... :-*

The body is not made from silicone. It is made from TPU, which is a theromoplastic version of urethane that can be injection molded just like ABS or polyethylene.   It can also be 3D printed on a hobby printer, but it is not fun to work with.  It would take several hours and several dollars worth of TPU filament to print one, and would probably be to stiff, with too many air pockets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoplastic_polyurethane

TPU injection molding is going to be a commercial process.

Most silicones would tear too easily as would the PVC that is used to make those rubber swimbaits (plastisol).  TPU is probably going to be the easiest to paint.

There might be a two-part pourable liquid urethane with similar enough properties, but I am not aware of any.  The silicones that I have played with in the right durometer range (20A?) were not nearly durable enough with  tear strength somewhere around 120 PLI.  You also care about elongation and puncture resistance.

The molds would have to be s complex multipart design or a silicone pour/slice and strap hack if you did not plan to make a lot.   

If you wanted to play with it, I would suggest:

Pour some silicone around a master and use the scalpel and strap method to cut out the master and retain a mold for pouring plastisol. Use the hardest plastisol that you can find, and hope a halibut finds it before a scuplin chews all the legs off.  You know how long scampis hold up in your neck of the ocean.  If they last long enough to make it worth it to try an octo, then PM me, and we can work out how to make a mold master if you want to get into pouring plastisol. 

Quote from: Dominick on November 12, 2020, 03:03:38 AM
Powdered squid ink is available in some grocery stores.  It is used in cooking.  Rice cooked with squid and squid ink is a very fine dish.  I sometimes I take the ink sack out of squid and mix it with hot water and garlic and olive oil to mix in with the rice water.  Great dish.  Alex probably has it in Mexico.  It's made in all the Latin countries.  Dominick

The tablets contain a dye and an attractant scent. I would suspect that the dye is for the fisherman, and the scent is for the fish.

Real cephalopod ink may also repulse some predators, but the scientists are not certain. Plus all of the mess that it makes on your clothes and deck.

But what I am really interested in the squid with ink rice recipe.  I hear that you are quite the cook.

-J.

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Dominick

Dave I originally made "Calamari en su Tinta" using Montagne, Prosper "Larousse Gastronomique" Crown Publishers 1961.  Great book.  Google Calamari en su Tinta there are many recipes.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Quote from: Wompus Cat on November 12, 2020, 04:11:58 AM
Enlightenment of Cephalopod Excretion

Great reference/artical Wompus Cat. Particularly so, because they number-reference studies from scientific periodicals.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Gfish on November 12, 2020, 07:30:32 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on November 12, 2020, 04:11:58 AM
Enlightenment of Cephalopod Excretion

Great reference/artical Wompus Cat. Particularly so, because they number-reference studies from scientific periodicals.

I had NEVER Heard of this addition to culinary particulars so did some Google ING to find that .
Will have to try some with my Chili / Spaghetti Jalapeno dish ,thanks Dominick for the heads up on the use of   this Cephalopod ink.

David Hall

In the 1800's cepholpod ink was highly prized for writing and drawing. It was mixed with varnish to make it waterproof and durable.

smnaguwa

Good squid ink pasta is delicious!

oc1

Quote from: smnaguwa on November 13, 2020, 01:04:37 PM

I'm sorry gentlemen, but it just sounds creepy.  Maybe I've cut too much squid that was somewhat less than fresh.  One good inky meal at a nice restaurant would probably change my mine.
-steve

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oc1 on November 13, 2020, 07:14:02 PM
Quote from: smnaguwa on November 13, 2020, 01:04:37 PM

I'm sorry gentlemen, but it just sounds creepy.  Maybe I've cut too much squid that was somewhat less than fresh.  One good inky meal at a nice restaurant would probably change my mine.
-steve

I imagine the first guy to eat a Chicken Egg had some reservations too after he saw where the came from ?

philaroman

first guy to eat an egg, did so before there were chickens...  probably ate bugs & scavenged ripe carcasses, too

first guy to squeeze out a cod gonad, to thicken his fish stew -- that's a bit more adventurous