Spooling around , 220, 330, 440 ,550 and 270 spools .

Started by oldmanjoe, December 01, 2020, 01:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I don't know which is more impressive Joe, your ingenuity, the quality of your craftsmanship or the fact that you own a Seneca Falls lathe.  All are pretty darn rare.
-steve

oldmanjoe

I am going to put some picture`s up , the subtle  differences in the 5 stock spools .    Things that will change line lays from spool to spool ?
 The contour of the arbor , radius versus straight and the usable string height  from spool to spool .     Range from .600 to .695 thousands.

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on December 06, 2020, 08:53:48 PM
I don't know which is more impressive Joe, your ingenuity, the quality of your craftsmanship or the fact that you own a Seneca Falls lathe.  All are pretty darn rare.
-steve
I take ingenuity for a thousand  Steve .    :D
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 06, 2020, 09:06:55 PM
I bet you have a lot more than that in the lathe.
-s

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on December 07, 2020, 07:37:12 AM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 06, 2020, 09:06:55 PM
I bet you have a lot more than that in the lathe.
-s
I was paid 20 dollars to haul that junk away some 38 years ago , i can still see that big smile on that guys face .   
   Sad part was he got rid of the junk that went with it already , the change gears for setting up threads per inch feed.

oldmanjoe

Spooled up with 100 pound braid 160 yards , on both spools .   .090 thousandths difference in width of spools.
Just a little hour glass on the stock spool .

oldmanjoe

Spooled up 40 pound braid .015 dia 330 yards
   Difference between the two pictures is .020 under spool shim.

oldmanjoe

Playing with the 4 screw spool .     Deeper well added a eared washer and 2 frictions .   
the center section has a dead air space of about .080 , so if you want to stretch the spool drop in a big spacer.

oldmanjoe

Made a 330 spool .080 wider than stock plastic spool , the aluminum spools are a little smaller .
   I put a tenon on the base so i can lengthen or shorten the arbor length with shims if needed .
   Instead of a click gear i made a large friction base .  I was also able to use a early brake spindle to make 3 total height adjustments .
   I still need to cut a little more so i can use stock size drag washers .  And dish the top a little more for the brake nut to go down a little more .
   The bail just clears the nut at full stroke rite now.
   I did a test with 10 pound braid to see if i was in the ball park

oc1

Nice touch with the brass bushing too.
-s

Milan S

What is the weight of the complete reel?

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Milan S on December 10, 2020, 06:34:34 AM
What is the weight of the complete reel?
I just try to weigh one , about 13 and a half ounces ,no line on the spool.

oldmanjoe

I made 3 spools for the 330 .      They vary in widths .740 ,765 , and 786.  Stock size range from .675 - .690
  I wanted to try and make a braid friendly spools without having a hour glass at the end spooling .

Stock spool with braid 350 yards, well balanced humps front and back 

The start of putting the same 350 yard on the .770 width spool.    Look`s a little scary , a lot of gap between line and spool walls

At 100 yards it filled in

All 350 yards and no hour glass .

I will fine tune this with some thin shims

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Milan S

Your work is really great! Phenomenal!

Maybe you could get some good idea from earlier works.
Something about the ball bearings in the spool...

There is a long post here, which can be inspiring  ;)

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28977.0

The line lay I achieved and the braking quality are better than on most new expensive solutions.
Drag sistem with cork is the best possible on such reels!

Greetingss!!!