Was this a qualified line test?

Started by gstours, December 28, 2020, 12:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

In the interest to learn about knots it seems like an actual value must be made?  Actually I'm going about this backwards,  in that my knots were not what I expected in my preliminary testing....
I purchased a new leader spool of this shown Diawa 80# fluorocarbon recently and proceeded with knots.
    The testing was done by me.  No knots, just wrapped and taped on the tube/ u bolt thing for pulling......

gstours

The line was kept from over lapping as much as possible.  Tape was helpful in binding.   The pulling was with a come along type ratchet device.  This allowed control, and examination.
   After 7-10 repetitive tests, my results are that this line will break at 45-60# and never above 70#
Most tests were performed at about 50-60 degrees f....
   Never once did the line break in the wrap area that was taped.    Just wondering?

gstours

Kitty 🐱 said to mention the P Line tests broke between 75- 85#,   Not fluorocarbon, just a big difference,
    Just saying.   Kitties know.?   

Benni3

Hehe,,,,my cat said the fluorocarbon line must be older stock 7 year life span knot 9 lives,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

I got my truck stuck in the mud in the backyard and she tried to help too,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: gstours on December 28, 2020, 01:04:00 AM
The line was kept from over lapping as much as possible.  Tape was helpful in binding.   The pulling was with a come along type ratchet device.  This allowed control, and examination.
  After 7-10 repetitive tests, my results are that this line will break at 45-60# and never above 70#
Most tests were performed at about 50-60 degrees f....
  Never once did the line break in the wrap area that was taped.    Just wondering?

Uh-Oh.  Diawa strikes again.  You're a walking dynamometer Gary.

I did something similar with 20# Blue Seaguar not long ago.  Best I could tell, it broke in the middle at 24-25# pulling by hand with twenty wraps on dowels.  Trying to watch the scale while slowly pulling by hand makes my hand shake a little so the needle on the scale jumps around a little.  It might have been different with a steadier pull but I think it's in the ball park..
-steve

Benni3

With fluorocarbon use the best knot and test it,,,,,,,,, ;D

Gfish

Good stuff to know.
Just got 3 spools of J-Braid, any opinions/tests? I'd test it, but it's all ready spooled, top shotted and ready to go...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

boon

X4 or X8?

The X8 breaks way over what it says on the spool... unless you bought the European market stuff which is rated more accurately. If you have the rating AND diameter I can probably give you a reasonable idea of what it breaks at.

Gfish

Yeah, J-Braid Grand X-8, made in Japan. PE-8(80lb.), 6(65lb.)& 5(50lb.). Thanks boon.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

boon

The 0.35mm (PE6?) is 79lb
The 0.42mm (PE8?) is 103lb

Not sure on the PE5 - do you have the diameter in mm? Should be in the small print.

Dominick

I think the cats think you are using catgut.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Ok. The J-Briad Grand x8,  80lb. PE#8, = 0.43mm;  the 65lb. PE#6 = 0.41mm;  the 50lb. PE#5 = 0.36mm. Yup, keep me honest, i.e., DETAILED.

Thanks for the info. Ordered these from "Departure Outdoors" in Wilsonville, OR, via ebay. Average $20/ spool and $7.47 total shipping. Good price?

Also, found an old spool of J-Braid, "x-4". It's PE#4,  40lb.,  0.29mm. No "Grand" on the label either. How strong is this one?

gstours

After the testing of the dismal Diawa line another test was performed on the P line leader spool that was recently purchased.  This seemed to be better and costs less.    My knots tested did reflect the difference in the change butt still couldn't hold more than 75% of rated mono used.
  I,m ok with my knots now as the drag is another variable.   You don't know until you test.   Gst

Benni3

That's how you do it I got some old stock seagaur fx 18lb and broke like 4lb,,,,, >:( in 8lb I'm trying the p-line cx same dia. As sunline mono but better knot strength,,,,, ;D