Diesel Fuel

Started by Bill B, April 11, 2021, 02:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Just went to start my truck after a long winters nap, started but could not get any power and stalled.  Pulled the fuel filter and it was black with what looked to be mold.....now I will admit I haven't changed it for about 40,000 miles, but even the fuel in the bowl looked black.....what's up with this California diesel?  Any suggestions?  Hate to dump 10 gallons of diesel left in the tank.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

Change the filer on schedule and actually drive it and it should be good!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Donnyboat

Over here in Western Australia, the Government decided to reduce the suphur in the fuel, but on cold mornings, it would clog up the filters & fuel lines, untill the day temperature warmed up, just maybe, your problem at this moment, good luck cheers Don. 
Don, or donnyboat

Gobi King

I always keep my tank full and add anti gelling addy if I don't have time to burn off summer diesel (35 gallons)
Drain it and burn it for heat
Put in fresh diesel
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

oldmanjoe

It is a microbial growth  in the fuel
   https://axi-international.com/addressing-algae-in-diesel-fuel/

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

oldmanjoe

They have products to kill  it , i use about 1/2 gallon of gasoline to every 10 gallons diesel fuel to kill it and break the chaining effect .  Just keep a fuel filter handy.  
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

This Bacteria and others have been around for over thirty years and was first noticed in Aviation then to our Diesel fuels .It is not good and depending on what year model you vehicle is as to what Sensors ,Exhaust Cats, and  or Injection Type will play a major part in how to treat your current problem and what  additives you should use if any. In a word this stuff eats hydrocarbon and craps water and will actually cover your pre screens in the  bottom of your tanks if present as well as any of the in line sediment filters present in a lot of Cat Engines fuel system designs. So just draining the fuel or siphoning it off merely delays the problem starting over and over and over..

Regardless of what you have heard  drain the crap you have out ,replace all filters ,clean the pre screens if present and
Like Gobi stated get rid of it ,use it for heating .

I use a Product called Prist . It is used in Aviation  and regardless of what anybody says it works .

Again I emphasize that you need to take caution in anything you do untill you figure out what Sensors,Emision Systems,and Injection Delivery you have except for the part of Dumping the old crap out and doing all the Filters/screens. Otherwise you can end up with a staggering cost .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Bill B

Crap, sounds like I have a mess on my hands.  I have about 18 gallons in the tank to dispose of, but no way to use as heating fuel.  What are my chances of treating the tank with a biocide then filtering?  I have a bunch of paper filters used to filter lacquer paint.  The truck is a 2002 Ford F-350 with the old 7.3 liter.  Bill

Keta

I maintained large diesel tanks at a powerhouse and we used BioBor the keep the bugs under control.  Several other additives also work.

I would recommend draining the fuel and getting rid of it as the amount does not warrent having it polished or buying the pump and filter system to do it yourself.  Coffee filters will work but messy and time consuming.  With current fuel prices, not looking good in the future too, it would probably be worth filtering but I would put it in my burn pil

My 7.3 has almost 300,000 miles on it and runs well.  I have had to replace the injector control module and injectors.

Keeping water out helps too, the bugs thrive at the interface of the water and fuel.  Keep your tank full when not running it for extended times and condensation is reduced.  Several fuel additives help keep the bugs under control if used often.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gobi King

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on April 11, 2021, 02:20:40 PM
Crap, sounds like I have a mess on my hands.  I have about 18 gallons in the tank to dispose of, but no way to use as heating fuel.  What are my chances of treating the tank with a biocide then filtering?  I have a bunch of paper filters used to filter lacquer paint.  The truck is a 2002 Ford F-350 with the old 7.3 liter.  Bill

burn it pls, my stealership charges around $15 a gallon to dispose of diesel if not more.
Fichigan

Keta

They probably polish it, treat it then burn it in their diesel vehicles.  Win win for them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mic

I sold a 85 Ford 1T w/ a 6.9 a few years back that was well over 300k miles. About once every couple of months or so, I'd put a qt. of ATF in the fuel tank. Got that from an old mechanic after sulfur was removed from diesel.

I'd also us Sea Foam additive to get water out. It works good to

The half gallon of gasoline for 10 gallons of diesel, works in old farm tractors, really, really well.

Just my two cents

Mic

Gobi King

Diesels if not used daily is a P-A-I-N
in more than one orifice.

Any biocide or addy with a biocide will work, and keep your tank topped off when storing your diesel.

Here in West MI, one would think diesel addy would be in every auto store, yeah right.

I found amazing amazon sells Schaeffer's addy by the gallon, $4x/gallons is like guying fluoro line at the same price as mono.
Newer diesels like mine have picky high pressure fuel pumps, you gots to watch what you dump in your tank.

I fill with part bio fuel few times a year to give my tank a good cleaning.

Fichigan

Bill B

A little update.....changed out the filter, drained the fuel bowl, pulled the fuel line feeding the fuel pump to drain.  The fuel coming out looked really good and clear......may have dodged a bullet on this one.  Did order BioBor, the biocide and lubricant, will be here in a couple days...have two more filters in stand by...this old truck of mine is about to get some long deserved maintenance....After 198K miles it is long overdue...Gotta love the old 7.3L diesels...Thank you all for the advice.....