Spiral wrap saltwater rods.

Started by gstours, April 15, 2021, 04:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Some cheap observations, and how do we get there from here.
   Soon a "good rod will be in inbasket.    I very been learning on a used factory rod that has gone through some changes.
   By using a 20 size stripper ample room is provided for your hand.   16 size are less tall.   Butt there's a trade off.

steelfish

what brand is that striper guide?  the ceramic look pretty big for the frame

the spiral transition look good to me.
The Baja Guy

gstours

As shown the height is good,  now I've installed a size 10 guide and slightly moved it to the "other side " as much as possible.
  In my testing it does keep the cranking in "unmended" line way more centered on the spool,   It's just an idea,  not for everyone.......
 Sometimes you wish you could buy whatever you want or need.
     As I'm not casting much if at all smaller transition and running guides could be used here.
Any ideas or criticism is perfectly acceptable. ;).     Just saying.

thorhammer

That looks like a helluva stick to put a hurt on a barndoor!

El Pescador

Gary!!!!

SNOW in Gustavus, AK???  Must be springtime :o

WHY is the line guide SO CLOSE to the top of the grip???

Is that the needed guide placement for your Spiral Wrap job???

Inquiring minds....

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

El Pescador

BUTT WAIT!!!

I just checked the same model Halibut rod we caught the 325 lbs. Halibut on our 2017 trip,

it is a 30-80 lbs. line weight, 6 ft. rod,

AND the first guide is right up against the top foam grip.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll get off this thread and make a zoom call.

Wayne

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on April 15, 2021, 05:35:30 PM
BUTT WAIT!!!

I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll get off this thread and make a zoom call.

Wayne

Inquisitive mind makes a wise decision.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

CooldadE

BUTT WAIT!!!

I just checked the same model Halibut rod we caught the 325 lbs. Halibut on our 2017 trip,

That looks like a Whopper Stoppers rod... I always thought those Aftco light weight roller guides were rated like
2-30# mono. I've toyed with the idea of using them but the low rating put me off. I guess they have been stress tested and proved themselves.

Cool

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

El Pescador

CooldadE!!!!

Here is the exact same wrapped model rod used to catch & land the 325 lbs. halibut!!!

Gary has 80 lbs. braid on his reels using NO reel clamp - again, NO REEL CLAMP!!!!!

Those Aftco Light rollers have no problem with the load.  NONE.

Wayne

jurelometer

It does not look like much load is being placed on the rod at the transition guides.  At least for the bend you are testing at.   I  wonder how much load is supposed to go on a spiral transition guide anyways, since it would put a lot of force across the wraps.   Seems strange that we worry about guide placement affecting  the blank loading so much and then come up with a guide system  that does not distribute  load on  the blank  right for quite a distance.

Not sure what the taller stripper guide does to the load distribution at the transition section.

No answers - just some more questions...

-J

MarkT

Quote from: CooldadE on April 15, 2021, 08:19:12 PM
BUTT WAIT!!!

I've used the ALWR for up to 40#.  I think the only issue with them using heavier lines is the knot clearance, not strength of the guides.

That looks like a Whopper Stoppers rod... I always thought those Aftco light weight roller guides were rated like
2-30# mono. I've toyed with the idea of using them but the low rating put me off. I guess they have been stress tested and proved themselves.

Cool

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

El Pescador

MarkT,

No issue here with knot clearance thru the Aftco Light guide tip since we use a 150 lbs. snap swivel which stays outside the roller tip.

Wayne

steelfish

Mark

do you have a whooper stopper rod, what model?

I always found them pretty cool, specially to use them on a panga since they are really short, Im building my own whopper stopper jigging rod LOL from a broken blank, it will be 4'8" long and already test it on a deadlight 15# would be cool for light jigging, what plans do you have for your rod?
The Baja Guy

MarkT

No whopper stopper. I have a Shimano Calcutta rod with ALWR and I had a Calstar 800XL and a Lamiglass WSB special that I sold.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Cor

When I started to move towards lighter tackle, I realised that for some reason that also meant slower action rods.    I.E. the blanks are more bendy at the rear which created a problem with the line touching my hand with a conventional reel.

I then looked for the tallest guides I could find here and settled for flip up guides for the first one.    You need to be very precise with placement distance from the reel and even consider the reel height. It works 100% but does look a bit weird with one very tall guide.

I also twice tried reinforcing the blank at the rear, but that was not very successful.

PS  I think the issue with the bendy blanks is more a function of them being designed for spinning reels or for other parts of the world where that style is more popular.

See photo. (sorry for poor quality)
Cornelis