One pound of Dave

Started by gstours, April 22, 2021, 03:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As sitting around makes me uneasy, I decided to be a man and pour some lead.
   Late last year I was gifted a few finished jigs with a silicone mold from Dave.
You know, the mad scientist 🥼.   The photo even shows you the clue that this master was 3D printed,
   I poured several of these and they turned out very clean and easy to make.
           Thanks again Dave.🐟.         More soon.

Gobi King

Nice, these are pretty popular in Socal, guys hang them behind their trucks on the trailer hitch.... :P :P

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

jurelometer

Quote from: Gobi King on April 22, 2021, 07:08:40 PM
Nice, these are pretty popular in Socal, guys hang them behind their trucks on the trailer hitch.... :P :P

Those who can't, teach.

Those who can't teach, critique.

Thank you for your valuable insight.   :D

And we  need to encourage Gary.  He is my best test pilot.

-J

Dominick

That is one mega mold.  Ready for a mega butt.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Ha! The truck nut demographic. Very nice Dave! Gary, I can't wait to see the finished product!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jurelometer

There are plenty of commercial "lifelike" octopus jigs that don't sink well, ride up in the current, snag easily- and  all we see here is oohs and aahhs for them.  "So realistic", blah, blah, blah.  

The lack of fishability of so many octopus jigs bothered me ( a banana weight with a hoochie skirt fished better), so I decided to design one of my own, even though I don't fish them much.

I prefer a design that sinks well, cuts into the current, rides slightly head up (just like a real octopus)- and bounces over rocks instead of snagging every time.  

If you read up a bit on fish vision and prey detection, you might end up spending less money  on lures and jig wraps that look realistic to humans above the surface, but also catch less fish.

Rule 1:  Get the lure that can reach and stay in the zone.

Rule  2: Get the lure that has the size and profile of the target's  prey.

Rule 3.  Get the lure that has action on the drop and/or retrieve at the speed of the target's prey.

Rule  4.  Pay attention to dark vs light colors, and maybe glow.  Lots of detail on the paint job can actually break up the profile.  Less is more.  

Rule 5:  If you are building lures to sell, ignore rule 1-4, and make the most realistic looking lure possible- even if it sucks for catching fish.

I will listen to the feedback of the folks that actually fish them.  Since I don't sell them, I don't have to listen to the noise.

You're welcome.

-J

jurelometer

Thanks for the update Gary.

We are pushing the limit size-wise for pouring lead into silicone molds.  Glad to hear that is working so far.   Let me know how long it holds up.

Was it the red or the blue silicone on this mold?

-J.

MarkT

Quote from: jurelometer on April 23, 2021, 06:35:15 PM

Those who can't, teach.

Thank you for your valuable insight.   :D

And we  need to encourage Gary.  He is my best test pilot.

-J

'cmon man, get it right...

Those who can, do
Those who can't, teach
Those who can't teach, teach PE!
and yeah, the rest probably critique.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

MarkT

Quote from: jurelometer on April 24, 2021, 12:21:30 AM
There are plenty of commercial "lifelike" octopus jigs that don't sink well, ride up in the current, snag easily- and  all we see here is oohs and aahhs for them.  "So realistic", blah, blah, blah.  

The lack of fishability of so many octopus jigs bothered me ( a banana weight with a hoochie skirt fished better), so I decided to design one of my own, even though I don't fish them much.

I prefer a design that sinks well, cuts into the current, rides slightly head up (just like a real octopus)- and bounces over rocks instead of snagging every time.  

If you read up a bit on fish vision and prey detection, you might end up spending less money  on lures and jig wraps that look realistic to humans above the surface, but also catch less fish.

Rule 3.  Get the lure that has action on the drop and/or retrieve at the speed of the target's prey.

Rule  4.  Pay attention to dark vs light colors, and maybe glow.  Lots of detail on the paint job can actually break up the profile.  Less is more.  

Rule 5:  If you are building lures to sell, ignore rule 1-4, and make the most realistic looking lure possible- even if it sucks for catching fish.

I will listen to the feedback of the folks that actually fish them.  Since I don't sell them, I don't have to listen to the noise.

You're welcome.

-J

I think your rules nailed it!  That's why Shimano makes stuff to catch fisherman, catching fish is secondary, if that!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

AlasKen

Quote from: jurelometer on April 24, 2021, 12:21:30 AM

You're welcome.

That looks like the cat's meow in Alaska.  The biggest problem is getting a jig to the bottom on a incoming or outgoing tide.  That looks like it would do the trick.  I would use it.  Nice job. 

jurelometer

Quote from: MarkT on April 24, 2021, 01:41:01 AM
Quote from: jurelometer on April 23, 2021, 06:35:15 PM

Those who can't, teach.

Thank you for your valuable insight.   :D

And we  need to encourage Gary.  He is my best test pilot.

-J

'cmon man, get it right...

Those who can, do
Those who can't, teach
Those who can't teach, teach PE!
and yeah, the rest probably critique.

That made me laugh.  Forgot all about PE teachers...

gstours

Reply to Dave.   Your mold was the white/beige silicone material.  It even smelled different after filling.
   Can you tell us the product name?   From Smooth On?
The original creation in the red Max 60 mold is one that was tried in a plaster mold before you helped me with the silicone materials that you have used.   This one is 19 oz and for deep water exploration.....
    Thanks again.   More soon. :)

gstours

My pattern is made from plaster o Paris,  crude, rude and socially unacceptable.😸🙋‍♂️🎣

jurelometer

The light blue stuff is made by Silicones Inc.  I bought it from Eager Polymers.   Nice folk.

It is 10x easier to pour than  the  Smooth-On Mold Max 60. It is a slightly lower durometer (50?)

So far I have found that  seems to expand a bit  more when it gets hot, so it is a bit trickier to make exact parts.  I also had to change my through-wire bending jigs to be adjustable to account for expansion.

It scorched a bit on pours, but has held up OK through a couple dozen  flat fall jigs and some  8 oz octos.

If it holds up OK for you 16 oz pours, I am not going back to the Mold-Max.

If you want, I can print you a jumbo master for making plaster molds, but who knows, the fish might like yours better :).  Gobi can decide which would look better on his trailer hitch  :D

-J

gstours

Thanks again for sharing your information,  and Dave, your not easy in prying out advice.🙋‍♂️
     Below is one of your 3/4 pounders that go new paint 🎨.  Adding the glow squid and the octopus skirt helped naming it,   White Trash..........🎣