Spring in knob?

Started by Gfish, October 05, 2021, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Quick-o-Phils! I have an early 250 Standard. Disassembled it to find-out what that double "bump" was when cranking and found that the adjustable bail trip was too high. It was smacking the trip lever. Godda love the engineering and design on these old Quick's. Lossen a nut inside the gear box, then adjust a screw to raise or lower a steel "bumper" that hits the bail trip lever. Lowered it a bit and it worked.

Questions: the aluminum  drag knob; it has what appears to be a heavy-duty spring, sealed up inside. Can't see a purpose for it. The knob presses down on a keyed washer sealed inside of the middle of the spool. Also there is a screw in the top of the drag knob that goes from one side to the other to... act as a stopper, maybe? Is that a spring up in there? And what purpose does the screw serve?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Can't see the spring lookin thing too well but that's the best picture I can get. Tap on it.
I found the oscillation roller on the main gear was corroded and not turning but managed to clean it up and it works now. Much smoother after assembly, but there is a bit of gear lash on this old gal.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

The spring is to aide in drag tension .    I think the screw is a set screw to hold the spring cup up in the knob  .   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 05, 2021, 03:29:08 PM
   The spring is to aide in drag tension .    I think the screw is a set screw to hold the spring cup up in the knob  .   

Yes, Joe is right — the spring aids drag tension at the lightest of settings.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Hardy Boy

That's better than a spring in your step !! ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gfish

Ok. Thank you.
I still don't see how it would do any tension application, so I'll remove that screw and see if the cup can come out. Might get a clue that-a-way. Would the tension be on,... naw, that don't work in my mind...
Sounds right Joe, I'll see. I thought that screw might be a stop for the spool shaft. Pretty cool, an aluminum drag knob, DAM those Quick's are built!

Edit; changed bottom picture.

foakes

I was wrong on this version, Greg —

Just checked one disassembled on the bench.

The countersunk set screw actually secures the threaded brass sleeve inside the drag nut — so that it can be adjusted properly without the drag nut spinning as it might wear out.

Most manufacturers just press these in place.  Problem is, sometimes they come apart inside the drag nut.

With the set screw that goes all of the way from one side to the other — this can't happen.

These were built to keep fishing — not tossed away when they failed.

A different era and mindset — quality and longevity equals good products, good business, and pride in workmanship.

Shortcuts always come back to bite.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

I'm trying to get brave enough to tackle a rebuild
on one of these that Rivverrat gifted me a while back.
I'll probably go for it when the holidays come
and things slow down a bit.
What are the possible challenges that I may encounter?

Gfish

Myself, I only had one real issue: there's 3 screws that hold the 2 spool half's together. 2 came out, 1 is gonna break or strip, as it won't budge. Black circle around it in my picture. But, no reason to take the spool apart because the keyed washer in there is in good shape and spins(actually the spool spins around the washer, while the washer is held in place by key-way in the spool shaft).

I checked it out again but still don't see how that spring puts any tension on the spool. Can only remove the screw from the drag knob, nothing else. Can see that the drag knob body curves around at the bottom so that the spring can't come out.
It seem's there is a missing part—something that would contact the keyed spool washer and push up into the spring as torque is applied to the drag knob—-a small washer of some sort?
If you're still with me, please look at the 3rd picture.

oldmanjoe

Ok  i am with you . :) :) :)    Don`t bother with removing the screws in that spool , no real help at all .
    I presume under that key washer there is one friction , or is there none at all ?    Looks like none at all .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Ok. I DID IT! After 5 yrs. of owning this reel, I finally got that spool screw out. Fred's long ago advice about tighten slightly first, then try to lossen, and Wayne(El Pescador)'s gift of these Bald Eagle hollow-ground screwdrivers = success(hada use a .045 size cause of the damage).

No washer except the chromed brass keyed one, in the middle. The bottom of the drag knob presses the keyed washer into the bottom 1/2 of the spool (worn looking—aluminum colored area). The 65+ year old cork looks interesting. Have one delrin-lookin washer that goes between the base of the spool and the drag-click-gear-spindle. Am I missing one somewhere?

Maybe I just don't know spinner drag knobs, and what the spring is supposed to accomplish... Could the spring in there function as something that just keeps the knob from turning with the spool as it turns, when line's pulled out under drag?

oldmanjoe

The spring works for the very start of no drag to just a little .      A slow ramp up so to speak .   After coil bind it is all nut pressure on the drag .

philaroman

aside from better adjustability,
the spring's main purpose is to keep the knob from unscrewing
if there's no spring action whatsoever (coil or washer)
even the clicky calibrated knobs will loosen on their own

Gfish

Maybe beating a dead horse at this point, but I sill don't see what compresses that spring. The spool shaft, as it's screwed down? It just goes straight-up through there. And the threaded brass cup behind the spring has a set screw to hold it in place...can''t envision anything pushing on that spring...

Ah, well. l have a 330 spool and an aluminum 285 spool from a late '60's reel. I can disassemble the drag knobs and maybe get a clue.

Now that I got the spool split open, will put a delrin washer directly below the keyed middle-of-the-spool chromed brass washer, but will haveta to do some sanding. As it is now, the only drag washer friction point on the spool is at the very bottom. Below the keyed washer looks to be metal to metal, under drag knob pressure.

oldmanjoe

I have a plastic one to take apart.  Were you see the brass nut with ears that slide in the channel in the knob.  I think the one you have has a oblong slot that the screw rides in instead of ears