Mobil Velocite

Started by tincanary, October 31, 2021, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Has anybody tried it for reel bearings?  I see a seller on Amazon sells the No. 6 by the pint for a reasonable price.  Might have to try it out.  What do you all think?

https://www.mobil.com/en-us/industrial/pds/gl-xx-mobil-velocite-oil-no-series

https://www.amazon.com/VELOCITE-OIL-EXPEDITED-DELIVERY-AVAILABLE/dp/B009ZV2IPA/

Dominick

It sure sounds like an ideal oil for fishing reels.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

You can order this your local mobil distributor, you will probably save a bunch on shipping
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

tincanary

Quote from: Gobi King on November 01, 2021, 01:44:57 PM
You can order this your local mobil distributor, you will probably save a bunch on shipping

Would you happen to know of any in our state?  I'm in SE Michigan.

Gobi King

yeah, I will post the link to look it, mine is right across costco, couple of miles from my house, Vesco oil or Van Mannen???, looking at their name and  office you would NEVER know they are Mobil distributors,

I bought a case of Mobil 1 gear oil and case of Mobil 1 filters for my diesel.

Vesco Oil Corporation
16055 W 12 Mile Road
Southfield
, MI
USA

find their local phone and call them, the front desk staff will take your order over the phone and in a couple of days you can pick it up.
Fichigan

jurelometer

Petroleum based, not a synthetic.  SDS looks not terrible, but not stuff that I would want to get on my skin daily.

When you use a  thinner oil, you will need to consider if it  will migrate into your fiber drag washers, which can make the drag sticky if the fiber washers are not lubed, or lubed with a grease that is not compatible with the oil.   A dry film lubricant like TSI will not migrate, but will wear out faster than an oil will break down, but the thinner the oil, the less likely it is going to stay where it is needed for an extended length of time or if subjected to high RPMs.

Generally speaking, the thinner the lubricant, the less time it is going to stay where you want it, and the more likely it is intended to be used in situations where the parts are immersed in the lubricant, or it is being continuously replenished/ recirculated.  I could be wrong, but I thought that thinner oils are designed to better pass  through tighter clearances, to both lubricate and carry away heat.  Sticking to surfaces is actually undesirable in these products.

Hard to say if this a good choice without knowing what is being lubricated.  As noted on the recent thread on gear oil, the specific product does not matter too much.  I think that there is a diminishing return on thinner and thinner oils, unless there is easy access and a willingness to more frequently replenish.  Once the oil viscosity required gets too low, it is time to consider switching  to film type lubricants.   

My personal preference is grease wherever possible, use the same grease for drag and lubrication, and film type lubricants for casting ball bearings.    Lighter oil used only for level wind worms.  But I am just a hobbyist, not a reel repair pro, and I don't mess much with reels toward the ultralight end of the spectrum.   YMMV.

-J

tincanary

Quote from: Gobi King on November 01, 2021, 02:45:21 PM
yeah, I will post the link to look it, mine is right across costco, couple of miles from my house, Vesco oil or Van Mannen???, looking at their name and  office you would NEVER know they are Mobil distributors,

I bought a case of Mobil 1 gear oil and case of Mobil 1 filters for my diesel.

Vesco Oil Corporation
16055 W 12 Mile Road
Southfield
, MI
USA

find their local phone and call them, the front desk staff will take your order over the phone and in a couple of days you can pick it up.

Small world, you're pretty much down the road from me.  I'm in Warren, in the sub behind the Randazzos.

Gobi King

well I am 140miles west in Grand Rapids :-)
that is the vesco close to you, mine is on 28th here in GR.

We should meet up and fish St Clair's, they are killing the perch and walleye there now
Fichigan

tincanary

Quote from: Gobi King on November 02, 2021, 11:15:38 AM

We should meet up and fish St Clair's, they are killing the perch and walleye there now

I'm game.  We kill the perch all summer long in the flats at the mouth of the St. Clair River, over by Harsens Island.  The water is shallow, typically 4' to 6', but they're always holed up in there.  Some monster gills too.  Me and a friend are out there often, he's usually swinging a fly rod and I'm throwing small paddle tails.

Gobi King

Quote from: jurelometer on November 01, 2021, 09:07:59 PM
Petroleum based, not a synthetic.  SDS looks not terrible, but not stuff that I would want to get on my skin daily.

When you use a  thinner oil, you will need to consider if it  will migrate into your fiber drag washers, which can make the drag sticky if the fiber washers are not lubed, or lubed with a grease that is not compatible with the oil.   A dry film lubricant like TSI will not migrate, but will wear out faster than an oil will break down, but the thinner the oil, the less likely it is going to stay where it is needed for an extended length of time or if subjected to high RPMs.

Generally speaking, the thinner the lubricant, the less time it is going to stay where you want it, and the more likely it is intended to be used in situations where the parts are immersed in the lubricant, or it is being continuously replenished/ recirculated.  I could be wrong, but I thought that thinner oils are designed to better pass  through tighter clearances, to both lubricate and carry away heat.  Sticking to surfaces is actually undesirable in these products.

Hard to say if this a good choice without knowing what is being lubricated.  As noted on the recent thread on gear oil, the specific product does not matter too much.  I think that there is a diminishing return on thinner and thinner oils, unless there is easy access and a willingness to more frequently replenish.  Once the oil viscosity required gets too low, it is time to consider switching  to film type lubricants.   

My personal preference is grease wherever possible, use the same grease for drag and lubrication, and film type lubricants for casting ball bearings.    Lighter oil used only for level wind worms.  But I am just a hobbyist, not a reel repair pro, and I don't mess much with reels toward the ultralight end of the spectrum.   YMMV.

-J

Danke, dino base makes it no go for moi,
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: tincanary on November 02, 2021, 11:33:02 AM
Quote from: Gobi King on November 02, 2021, 11:15:38 AM

I'm game.  We kill the perch all summer long in the flats at the mouth of the St. Clair River, over by Harsens Island.  The water is shallow, typically 4' to 6', but they're always holed up in there.  Some monster gills too.  Me and a friend are out there often, he's usually swinging a fly rod and I'm throwing small paddle tails.

Nice, pm sent.
Fichigan

Brewcrafter

If Shibley and Tincanary are joining forces on the prowl, I wish you guys great results and looking forward to hearing about it! - john