The List - SOA 3-day, June 14-17 - Alan Tani, chartermaster

Started by alantani, November 11, 2021, 12:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Ernest Hemingway could not have written a Better commentary on that Bill.I feel like I was there with ya.
Thanks for the write up  :d  :d
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

MarkT

"grilled chicken breast with mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy." That was chicken Marsala!  Maybe have a 16 VISX for next year too!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

CI_Seawolf

925FBD2A-AB43-4328-9C28-00ECEE16DA1E.jpeg Hello, I was fortunate enough to get a spot on the trip.  I was impressed by the knowledge of the group and they are really a pleasant bunch to fish with.  I am returning to the offshore fishing game after a 10 year hiatus.  I got my personal best on Wednesday, with the help of AJ the deckhand.  These fish all had a significant attitude.  After Frank landed a fish on an 80 lb outfit, I figured that my 80/60 sinker rig was too light and cut off a knife jig on one of my 100lb outfits.  Tied my 3/0 Charlie Brown hook directly to my mono top shot.    I got the bite on the starboard side of the boat down by the stern and soon moved to the port corner.  I was fishing 30lbs of drag and the fish had to work to get line.  AJ followed me and did a great job of coaching, I got pretty gassed early, I think part of it was that I had been fishing hard since 2 am.  We took turn winding and following the fish until we finally got up to the starboard bow where the fish tried very hard to rub the line on the boat.  I was getting really beat up and AJ kept the line off the boat.  The beast finally came to gaff, and after walking it down toward the stern, the hands pulled it over the rail as they fell backwards on the deck. My personal best, the fish weighed 158lbs gutted.  Talking with Alan, we estimate that it was 170 +,  truly an epic trip for me and it was great to fish with everyone!
Stay Classy!

MarkT

A gilled/gutted/bled fish loses about 12% so a 158# after all that should weight in at 158 / (1 - .12) or 179#!!!!

Wompus Cat

Good for you after  a 10 year Hiatus .
Nice color Combo Outfit  to go with the  Fish .......just sayin  ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Bill B

Quote from: pjstevko on June 18, 2022, 12:20:47 AMBill that was a great write up and congrats on you double PB!!!!

Did anyone hook up with the "stealth" sinker rig?

Warren fished the stealth rig and landed his on it.  Not sure if anyone else did.  But I did see lots of that rigging. 

I do have to say everyone on this trip would be the last ones to walk the plank.  Tackle tips easily shared, needed something it was readily available, loaner rigs freely given (Thanks Mark!) .  When a fish was landed everyone was on hand for a high five and a hearty pat on the back.  Hard to beat this group! 

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

Especially on Bill's 2'nd fish that was making huge circles under the boat, almost everyone was out of the water just watching. Any line in the water would go towards the bow and get wrapped up. Lee, although noble, wasn't the only one!

Rocket Dog

[quote author=Bill B link=msg=4155

Now I'm not too bright but I do listen sometimes, not often just ask my wife. So I grab my Penn Fathom 40NLD2 with 80# braid and 25 yards of 80# flouro, Okuma PCH 741XXH, 2/0 ringed circle hook, and a traditional 6 oz sinker rig.  I sent it straight down, just as I hit 200' the line began to peel off the Fathom quicker than it was.  C&@# I'm hooked up!  I advance the drag to 20# and then it really takes off!  Ok I got your number how about 25#!  Well I was introduced to Mr. ZingPow.  Ok I just got chewed off, right?  Nope my flouro braid knot parted.  And to be perfectly honest Alan did not tie it, I did.  Ok what to do, I don't have anymore 80#...Lee Keta to the rescue and I had 6' of flouro.  Now doubting my knot skills I found a deckhand to tie on the new leader and hook.

Bill,
Great write up. Do you know what knot the deckhand used to Tie the leader to your spectra? What's Alan's method?

Donnyboat

2 really nice write ups, thanks for taking us along, & the nice pics, yes I would be very interested in the knots, nice work Lee your the man, cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

Hamachi

166 after adding 10% to the dressed weight. Drop shot style sinker rig, four ounces of lead, 2/0 ringed type circle hook tied with a sandiego jam knot. Both the main line as well as the sinker line were tied to the ring making sure the hook was facing up. 30lb line was used as a breakaway for the sinker. 3foot leader of 80lb priemier fluro tied with a three turn surgeons knot to (strong)50lb top shot approx 100 yds. 500 yds jb 60 or 65 tied with a fg knot. Not a valid attachment ID. Fathom 40n2 on a cal star bt6480 custom wrapped for me by Kenny Isago. I was timed at 1hr15min. Hey, I heard 30-40 pound schoolies over the loudspeakers.anyway got it in.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Great job on the 50 lb. Warren!  Was anyone fishing the sinker rig in the dark, and did anyone get bit on it?

bchen

Congrats on catching a fish x2 the line weight, Warren!

Sounds like sinker rigs were productive. Anyone score on jigs?

alantani

gentlemen, thanks for posting a report.  i came back home to another mess, as usual.  gotta knock out a half dozen reels before monday, all big ones.  and something in in duffle bag really stinks.  oh, wait, it's all of my clothes.  we'll see if my wife will let me use the washing machine or if she sends me out to the coin op laundry.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hamachi

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on June 18, 2022, 06:27:26 AMGreat job on the 50 lb. Warren!  Was anyone fishing the sinker rig in the dark, and did anyone get bit on it?
I don't think so, it was hard to tell with so few bites. It seems like daytime sinker rigs, nighttime knife jigs, not much current on this trip, so the heavies weren't necessary. I saw one jig fish.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!