The List - SOA 3-day, June 14-17 - Alan Tani, chartermaster

Started by alantani, November 11, 2021, 12:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickeyfin

Bill B

I can say none of these guys were trying to saw me off.  A lot of them offered to cut their lines and to them I'm grateful.  The rest were unwilling participants in the spiderwebs.  The crew did an awesome job clearing the lines.  And when the fish was brought on board most were not fishing, watching the the fish beat me up.  Best I can figure the circles were in excess of 90'.  As seen in the video I tried steering the fish away from large circles but this one had a lot of attitude.  At half spool and 27# of drag (which correlates to 54#, half spool doubles the drag) and it could still pull drag.  Much meaner than the previous.  A lot of times I was just spinning my wheels trying to gain on it.  I could have cut the fight by about 10 minutes if my swell timing was better, but that would have brought a greener fish to gaff.  Lessons learned use the right gear, Marks 100# rig would have been better suited for this particular fish. But on the bright side my braid is well packed down to less than 1/4 spool 😉 Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

Quote from: Queegueg on June 20, 2022, 03:37:05 AMWas anyone fishing a deep drop sliding ballon rig?...
GREAT technique to get down to the Depth Zone ( stated as 200 feet) & AWAY from the vessel & hooked fish!..Queequeg
Are you the same Queegueg from Bloodydecks that I blocked a couple of years ago? I'm thinking we need that same function here!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

bchen

Quote from: MarkT on June 19, 2022, 10:33:02 PM
Quote from: pjstevko on June 19, 2022, 09:52:22 PMBill what brand and model rod was it?

Pch-c-741xxh FTW!

I saw a post on BD showing the bends on several rods.  The Okumas had bends similar to UCs. 

Good to see that the 741xxh delivered for you.  Any thoughts you can share about it?  Fishes closer to the low or high end of the rating? 

Bill B

Quote from: bchen on June 20, 2022, 04:08:08 AM
Quote from: MarkT on June 19, 2022, 10:33:02 PM
Quote from: pjstevko on June 19, 2022, 09:52:22 PMBill what brand and model rod was it?

Pch-c-741xxh FTW!

I would say the PCH 741XXH fishes 80# well with drag levels around 25-30#.  My take is this is the upper limit.  It can be pushed above 25#, and if you have watched the video, it will flex all the way into the fore grip.  If I had seen that flex I would have backed off.  During the extreme flex the spool was about 1/3 maybe 1/4 which pushed the drag numbers to 50# or better.  Well above it's fighting class.  It's an 80# rig all day, just need to watch spool height and the drag increase.  JMO.  Hopefully others who were there can chime in.  Bill

I saw a post on BD showing the bends on several rods.  The Okumas had bends similar to UCs. 

Good to see that the 741xxh delivered for you.  Any thoughts you can share about it?  Fishes closer to the low or high end of the rating? 

MarkT

I use my 741xxh with a Mak 15t for 60#. Bill's rod did better than his reel on those fish fishing 80#!

pjstevko

Can someone tell me how this boat drifts?

Which corner in the stern is the chum thrown?

SoCalAngler

Just like most sport boats it drifts stern first. And which side to fish on will depend on the wind. The old saying holds true wind in your face you're at the right place

Bill B

It seemed that even though you started in the stern you always ended up in the bow, port or starboard depends on the wind. 

pjstevko

What oz weight were you guys using for the sinker rigs?

MarkT

pjstevko

pjstevko

Bill B

PJ, take a couple of each 4-10oz. 4 & 6 & 8 oz were my weights of choice.  If you stop by I have a bunch.  Bill

CI_Seawolf

I used 10 oz on my 100 lb rig and it still scoped out.  I would bring 16,12,10,8,and 6 oz weights.   Maybe just one each, and someone might have a spare.
Stay Classy!