47sh and 27sh upgrades

Started by JasonGotaProblem, March 25, 2022, 08:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I just picked up a new condition 27sh for myself, and a 47sh for a friend. Other than the obvious drag upgrades are there any other worthwhile aftermarket stuff that's still available for these? I especially want an AR ratchet with more teeth for less backplay.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Nice. I have a 27H and a 30SH. Never considered the AR ratchet. The handle and knob are relatively small on these reels, especially the the knob. Put on a power knob, but kept the crank-arm on the 30SH. If you come-up with something, love to see/hear about it.

I like these reels. Compared to a Jigmaster, they come right out of the box more heavy-duty: aluminum 2-piece frame with outer trim rings(for protection of the aluminum frame edges, I guess), aluminum spool, that crank-side spool ball bearing attached to the bridge and closer to the spool(= strength). I'd love to get a longer crank that keeps the same specialty nut cover(nesassary to keep water out of the gear sleeve) and maybe even have that nut cover made of metal instead a plastic.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

see if you can add 2nd dog (not synched -- alternating, so you double # of stop-points)

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on March 27, 2022, 11:36:00 PMsee if you can add 2nd dog (not synched -- alternating, so you double # of stop-points)
I like the way you think. I haven't opened it up yet to see what that would entail but it sounds reasonable.

I'm thinking 50# braid on the 27 and 65 or 80# on the 47.

These seem castable. Not as a BFS setup, or as an ideal surf setup, but probably castable.

thorhammer

brick crap houses. some years ago i bought six 47's from a guy for $180 in nice shape, and they are my go to reels for downrigging. havent done a thing to them execept put line on. I mean not even oil (don't judge me folks, I was busy servicing or building all the pretty ones that sit on a shelf). No issues. not one. i dont count a badge or two falling off. 

akfish

Remember these reels were designed and produced before braid. They have plenty of drag to fish 20# or perhaps 30#, but anything stronger is wasted on them -- their three tiny drag washers just don't make much friction. That said, I really like these reels and fished within their specifications, are simply great -- much nicer than comparable Penn reels like the 209 and 309.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Porthos

After a carbontex drag upgrade, fishing my 47SH up to a 50lb with top shots connected to 65lb braid main.

You can take any Penn-compatible Type A power handle arm and incrementally file the curved sides of the mounting hole with a curved/round needle file until it just fits the 30H/30SH/47H/47SH/170/170H; do not do anything to the two flat sides.

Don't have a 27...

alantani

carbon fiber drag washers and handle grips!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JasonGotaProblem

Does anyone have a copy of the diagram for the 27SH? I can't find it anywhere, not even on the daiwa site. Does it go by a different alphanumeric classification than the label suggests? I managed to find the 47SH diagram and I suspect its similar enough minus part #s, but now it has become a point of curiosity why i can't find it.

El Pescador

Jason,

I can help you.

I picked up a low-priced 27SH reel, sent it to Fred for a Once-Over.

I have schematics on file, for just that... FILE.  Don't plan on opening up one soon.

Same issue here with the TOO SHORT handle.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Gfish

Thanks for the inspiration Porthos.
I used a 24-55 Penn power handle(3 - position style). Filing/fitting it to the Daiwa gear sleeve was not that hard.
The screw holding the nut cover was different though; drilled a 5/64 hole and fudged(mangled)an extra screw into there, to cut some pseudo-threads. It worked, but I'll see for sure, when I take it back apart for service again.
Didn't wanna buy a whole tap set for one tiny metric screw.
Got about 1/2" more length on the new handle and a ball-style power knob now—-cool.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Porthos

An alternate designation is SL27H:
schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_SL27H.pdf

Similar to the SL47H file:
schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_SL47H.pdf

The layout of parts is nearly identical...open both PDF's in a browser, and quickly toogle between the two tabs. The scan for the 47H has better resolution; would recommend using that one.

If I was searching for an alternate 27 handle, I'd start comparing the hole of the factory handle to ones of power handles for recent model baitcasters.

YMMV.

Porthos

Quote from: Gfish on April 04, 2022, 03:15:00 PM...drilled a 5/64 hole and fudged(mangled)an extra screw into there, to cut some pseudo-threads. It worked...

This was basically the same path I took.

thorhammer

I sent a note to Alan C yesterday to see what he thought about making some offset blades to fit these reels, similar to the ones he just came out with for the Penn's. I'm in for at least a half dozen out of the gate if he does it- I know a lot of us have the small Daiwas, and I bet NONE of us like the toy handle. I know I have 11 reels without thinking hard that need this upgrade.

JasonGotaProblem

The handle that fits an abu baitcaster appears to fit the 27SH.

Also I finally opened it up. Didn't realize nothing is screwed in. When I work on a reel the first time I'm careful to lay the parts down in order they were removed, and that has massively aided in successful reassembly.

Well after removing the handle side plate I turned it over to look at something and out falls everything. I didn't even get a chance to really get a look at how any of it fit together, let alone worked, before that.

So I guess I'll be disassembling the 47sh (a lot more carefully) before I can attempt to reassemble the 27SH.

Did I mention I'm an idiot? Many of you have likely already figured that out.